BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  137

Thread: Brandon's 818R Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For other R builders, did you install the left/right interior aluminum panels or just use the side intrusion panels? The ones I have are clearly for the S, but maybe I will just trim them along the frame to make them fit better.
    61ACB3FE-C9D9-44BB-AEBD-AF9E9CBBBA79.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    For other R builders, did you install the left/right interior aluminum panels or just use the side intrusion panels?
    As I said in my PM reply, I did not install them. I think it looks better if you just cover and use the intrusion panels that come with the R kit.

IMG_20170324_095836.jpg
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

3. Likes blomb11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For other R builders, did you install the left/right interior aluminum panels or just use the side intrusion panels? The ones I have are clearly for the S, but maybe I will just trim them along the frame to make them fit better.
    Just added weight.

On the rear firewall question, were you asking about an engine-side firewall or the cabin-side? I don't know of anyone who has not used the FFR supplied cabin-side wall. And unless FFR has seen fit to include one in recent kits, seems most folks are going with .125" thick aluminum (pref. 6060 or 7075) to make their own engine-side wall.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

5. Likes Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post

On the rear firewall question, were you asking about an engine-side firewall or the cabin-side? I don't know of anyone who has not used the FFR supplied cabin-side wall. And unless FFR has seen fit to include one in recent kits, seems most folks are going with .125" thick aluminum (pref. 6060 or 7075) to make their own engine-side wall.

Best,
    -j
    Thanks for your input too...more scrap metal for brackets or something. Yes, I was referring to the engine side rear firewall. I went ahead with 0.080 6061-T6 sheet and have been fitting that up this week. I definitely plan to use the firewall wall over the fuel tank.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not have those in my kit so I made mine. I did not like the idea of the big gaps between the exterior intrusion panels and the interior FFR firewall. Not sure if yours close those side gaps or not. I figured if there was an issue I wanted all the splashing and spillage to be contained behind the fire wall. Yes, there are penetrations in the wall, but they are in less critical areas in my opinion. In the middle and/or higher up. The ends is where the sloshing and such will go. It certainly isn’t liquid tight, but I feel better. I thought about some sealant, but have not gotten to the point where I am confident it isn’t coming back out for a while. If you look close, the top isn’t bolted currently as I have no engine in the car!

Had one leak from the crappy gaskets that came with the level sensor and fuel pump parts. Chunk those and get proper o rings! This would have been a different answer for me if I was not using the stock FFR tank.

I also threw a rear, engine side (but inside the cockpit) fire wall. I determined it was super easy to slide a sheet down along the back wall just behind the tank. you can also see that at the top of the pic. the sheet metal is sandwiched between the chassis and the FFR fire wall when all bolted up. Tank holds the bottom nicely. No need to pull the engine (which was in at the time) to do it and/or go around suspension mounts or the like. I was getting way to much trash thrown up on top of the tank and into the wiring for my liking.

0F7D910F-E6E3-4BB7-8995-39488A8CCD22.jpg
    Last edited by jforand; 08-31-2021 at 04:55 PM.