Boyd Welding

Visit our community sponsor

Thread: Matrix TR-42, a mid-engined RWD suby kit car

Matrix TR-42, a mid-engined RWD suby kit car

Hi everyone,

I am very new to the kit car scene so I'm sorry if this is general knowledge, but I found another kit car that is very similar in concept to the new FFR design. The TR-42 by Matrix Motor Werks is an exocar (like the Ariel Atom) that was originally designed to use a Porsche 914 drivetrain but was designed with Suby power in mind. There are currently 2 Suby-powered prototype cars well into the assembly phase. I thought the FFR guys might be able to get some ideas from these builds. It is also a great chance to see what the underpinnings of the new design might look like, and of course it's a really neat car in its own right and worth checking out. Here are the 2 build threads over at exocars.net which are definitely worth a read if you are interested in the FFR's new model.

tl;dr: a cool suby-powered kit car

Erik's Mako - Suby powered TR-42, Chassis #002

Marty's Mako - Suby powered TR-42, Chassis #004

Cheers,
    Mike

Soon to be FFR builder Kc_Shane's Avatar
    can you get pic from the links? I'm not going to join to see what they are.

There are tons of pics and it doesn't seem like they allow linking so I'd say it's probably worth creating an account. There is also a thread on NASIOC that has some pics, but none showing the engine in. Here are a few from that thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2093090

Originally I thought the green car was from FF. I think that looks great and I hope that they go in that direction or the K1.

There is also the SDR WR3 V-Storm exo style kit car which was released a while ago based on a Subaru engine:

http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/home.html

Benji

here is a shot with the engine in place: