BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Tri bar vintage headlights with upgraded LED bulbs-PL 700

Post Thanks / Like

Tri bar vintage headlights with upgraded LED bulbs-PL 700

https://bugeyeguyparts.com/collectio...aded-led-bulbs

Has anyone used this on a Roadster? Tribar + lucas logo + LED seems like a win win win :-).

2. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those look great.... looking forward to hearing what the response are. Not a bad price either.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had mine for about 3 years now. They are available from many sources, with varying pricing.

Some of us have changed the bulb, but I am happy with what was furnished .

There have been some reports of the logo being mis-positioned.

Overall, a good quality part, that NO ONE notices.

Be sure to order the LHD lenses.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

5. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Likes Ted G, ydousurf, WIS89, mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had these with a halogen bulb on order with them since October. Just got good news that they made it onto a slow boat from China recently. Should be here in February? Big back order item for all supplier’s, so check on availability.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I am inclined to go for it. I know it's not something most people notice, but heart wants what the heart wants.

8. Likes Ted G, ydousurf, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Zee, do you know if LED's will work with a daytime running light module. I like your LED idea, I think I need the module to pass inspection.
    Jeff_J

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post, zee! I just placed my order for a set too. I've actually seen them on Derald's beautiful ride and I pointed them out to him on how great they looked. I was planning on getting them in the future, but I might as well have them in storage and ready when needed.
    Carry onward with your builds or upgrades my fine gents!
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

11. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydousurf View Post
    Thanks for the post, zee! I just placed my order for a set too. I've actually seen them on Derald's beautiful ride and I pointed them out to him on how great they looked. I was planning on getting them in the future, but I might as well have them in storage and ready when needed.
    Carry onward with your builds or upgrades my fine gents!
    Did you get it back? Did it work?
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Have had the Halogen Tri-Bar Blue Badge on the car for four or five years now. They were a straight plug in. I think you will be surprised how many people notice them especially older sports car people.

Am sort of a honorary guest of a local British Car Club with the Anglo American COBRA & get an invite in the mail to their annual British car show. Lots of comments on the lights. Even supermarket & gas station stops get a what are those, do the sections light up separately?
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

14. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m currently using the complete LED light kit from breeze. The headlights put out an awesome amount of light, however the color is a little too cool with a slightly bluish tint which I don’t care for at all on these cars. Be interested to hear from anyone who has these if the color temperature gives off a more incandescent color than the bluish tint.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the PL700 (replica reflectors) with normal H4 Sylvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs. Be aware that you may be able to fit LED bulbs in these reflectors, but not all reflectors are LED friendly. I think it really depends on the way the bulb is made. The wrong LED bulb in a halogen reflector may blind oncoming traffic. The good news is that if they don't put out the right pattern, you can always revert to non-LED bulbs or find a bulb that is designed for this purpose.

https://ledlightinginfo.com/led-head...lector-housing
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Also have the PL700s, but not LED. They throw plenty of light and have that warm color. Some people notice, most don't, but I'm glad I got them.

FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

18. Likes Geoff H, Chainsaw, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    Also have the PL700s, but not LED. They throw plenty of light and have that warm color. Some people notice, most don't, but I'm glad I got them.

Such a nice looking Cobra. Love everything about it especially the side marker light. I bought a pair for my Cobra but I can’t commit to punching a hole in the door. So realistically it’s not happening anytime soon.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

20. Thanks cnutting thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am running these PL-700's picked them up from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Tri-bar...e%2C264&sr=1-1

Replaced halogen bulbs with these LED bulbs, plug n' play. I live on dark country roads with no street lights, 60w halogen bulbs barely put out any light at least I can see where I am going in the dark now. These LED's are much brighter and seem to be holding up well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

22. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    Did you get it back? Did it work?
    Sorry zee, missed this? Here's an update from the bugeyeguy on (Wed Feb 2nd):

Good morning!

We have an update on the Tri-Bars! The ship is currently in harbor waiting for its turn to unload. Once unloaded they will need to truck to us before we can send them out, we should be looking at 2 to 3 weeks. Thank you for waiting so patiently, we can’t wait to get them out to you!

Rob Coleman
    Bugeyeguy
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m running the tri bars with 55/100 watt hi/lo’s they light the road nicely.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of comments here about color and the way the headlights "look". I understand the aesthetics, but "form following function" I am more concerned with the light laid out in front of the car.
    Headlight technology is carefully developed and involves the reflector and the lens fluting. That works with an element positioned specifically and radiating light energy at a discrete angle. Indeed some halogen bulbs have a metal screen on the side or on the end. Shooting pool is an analogy, especially bank shots.
    Original OEM lamps are highly developed. The market place is full of posers with housings and lenses that fit a specific vehicle but the internal characteristics are not replications. A DOT or SAE certification makes then legal but not necessarily effective. I was recently shopping fog lamps to augment crappy low beams on an RV. I found genuine Ford fog lights are made by Valeo. Amazon sells genuine Ford (also used on Acura) for $52.78 each. Same lamp from Valeo on Amazon is $34.38 each. Plane lens, the beam control is all in the reflector. It pays to read the reviews.