Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  68
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just another LS in a Roadster. Seat belt trim rings

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    Looks and sounds great Jim. Question... it looks like you altered one of the cross members on the top of the trans tunnel. Yes? Are you running a midshift on the TKX? Curious abiut what your setup is.
    I’m running the TKX trans with the shifter in the forward position of the stock location. I removed the interfering cross member then welded mounting tabs on it and then relocated it slightly aft. I don’t think it’s necessary to re-install it but why not if it’s easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
    I’m running the TKX trans with the shifter in the forward position of the stock location. I removed the interfering cross member then welded mounting tabs on it and then relocated it slightly aft. I don’t think it’s necessary to re-install it but why not if it’s easy enough.
    Great solution. Makes me wonder if I should remove that piece before sending the chassis to powder coat. And then bolt it back in when and where I need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! I let this thread fall all the way back to page 5..... YIKES.

Okay, so I spent too much time playing with the C6 convertible and no time on the Roadster. However, I recently sold the C6 and now it's time to get the Roadster on the road. I started by making a simple clutch pedal stop bracket and got it mounted. I added a piece of rubber hose to the 1/2" post to prevent metal on metal contact.

P1030656.JPGP1030657.JPGP1030658.JPGP1030660.JPG

Now that the C6 is gone I have room for the body and chassis in the garage. I was thinking about doing the body work but have since started looking for someone local to take on that task. My hope is to find someone that will knock the seams off, fill, sand, and then get the body in primer. Then I'll mount the body, doors, truck, and hood so I can drive the car while waiting for a painter. Anyway, there's still lots of little things to do on the chassis before I can all it finished.

P1030661.JPG

4. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim,

Wowsers! No one responded to your post...but I really like your pedal stop bracket! Simple, effective, and well done

Did you weld your round tube to your angle "iron" piece? Or drill, tap, and bolt?

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to read you're back on the build, Jim. Very nice clutch stop! One of these years I need to learn how to weld. That skill opens up a whole new horizon of possibilities on a build.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

7. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    Hi Jim,

Wowsers! No one responded to your post...but I really like your pedal stop bracket! Simple, effective, and well done

Did you weld your round tube to your angle "iron" piece? Or drill, tap, and bolt?

Craig C
    Thanks!

I drilled a hole in the L bracket and then welded it on both sides. I'm thinking about making another one that is even easier to install and doesn't require holes in the 3/4 square tube; that was a bit of a pain to drill because of it's location. Anyway, thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim,

"clamp" design instead?

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking "clamp" as well, similar to how I mounted my gas pedal (and actually how the Breeze gas pedal is setup). See post #28 in my build thread.

11. Likes cc2Arider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    Hi Jim,

"clamp" design instead?

Craig C
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    I was thinking "clamp" as well, similar to how I mounted my gas pedal (and actually how the Breeze gas pedal is setup). See post #28 in my build thread.
    I like what you did with your pedal. I ended up using the factory pedal because I’m also using a cable.

Anyway, I’ll build a test piece and show you what I’m thinking. 🤔

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the clamp on pedal stop I came up with. It's super easy to install and adjust with just one hand/tool.

P1030666.JPGP1030667.JPGP1030668.JPGP1030670.JPG

I just test fitted it on the trunk hoop because I didn't want to take mine off. I would use this one if I hadn't already drilled the holes for mine. This one is on it's way to OB6.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a great design, simple and effective. Thanks Jim!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure this is a Happy Milestone for everyone building a FFR kit!!!!!

THE CARPET IS DONE!

It was actually a lot more fun than I anticipated plus there's a lot of instant gratification after every piece. I'm still waiting on additional carpet to finish the cubby divider but all the kit carpet is in.

I also swapped out the kit seatbelts for something a little smaller and easier to get in and out of.

P1030685.JPGP1030686.JPGP1030687.JPGP1030688.JPGP1030689.JPG

I'm in the process of machining seatbelt flanges where they pass through the rear bulkhead. They will be my own design with no hardware seen once mounted.

I also trimmed the wheel arches and filled in the lip behind the arches. Once the weather warms up I'll pull the body outside and sand and undercoat the underside of the body. Once that's done I'll be ready to fit the body.

16. Likes Fman, GoDadGo, 460.465USMC liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well Done Fellow Dark Sider!

18. Likes Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim your build looks great. Nothing like having an analytical mind to figure out the speed bumps of a build. This is a bit off topic, but we have a common hobby. I noticed in your opening page a large RC plane with canisters hanging from the ceiling. Do you fly much? If your buying planes of that size with canisters you have been flying for a while. They are not cheap. It's very easy to take a 35 or 40% plane out for flying and have something go wrong or a mechanical failure and have a $5000 day. But as all fellow RC pilots know if you're going to fly, you're going to crash. Some days you hang your head and do the walk of shame with trash bags in hand to the crash sight. I too like large scale RC and have been flying successfully since 2008. I don't fly nearly as often as I used to since I got my car. But this year I have promised myself to get back into flying. Can't wait to see your car all done. Yak.PNG
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

20. Likes Jim Frahm, BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, Jim. I like the border around your cubby opening. I’ll need to get a closer look at that when I see it in person next time. I assume you fabricated it? Also intrigued to check out your seat belts. Let’s go for a drive….soon!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

22. Likes Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Looking good, Jim. I like the border around your cubby opening. I’ll need to get a closer look at that when I see it in person next time. I assume you fabricated it? Also intrigued to check out your seat belts. Let’s go for a drive….soon!
    Check this out!

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ighlight=cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like another niche market for Cobra parts. People would buy that cubby trim.
    Fun Package

25. Thanks Jim Frahm thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunter View Post
    Jim your build looks great. Nothing like having an analytical mind to figure out the speed bumps of a build. This is a bit off topic, but we have a common hobby. I noticed in your opening page a large RC plane with canisters hanging from the ceiling. Do you fly much? If your buying planes of that size with canisters you have been flying for a while. They are not cheap. It's very easy to take a 35 or 40% plane out for flying and have something go wrong or a mechanical failure and have a $5000 day. But as all fellow RC pilots know if you're going to fly, you're going to crash. Some days you hang your head and do the walk of shame with trash bags in hand to the crash sight. I too like large scale RC and have been flying successfully since 2008. I don't fly nearly as often as I used to since I got my car. But this year I have promised myself to get back into flying. Can't wait to see your car all done. Yak.PNG
    I’ve been flying a little bit of everything for decades but now I fly mostly contest gliders. The large scale Wilga you see hanging in my garage is a plane used to tow scale gliders.

1279E9E5-22B6-4897-8510-18903A58A8B7.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    The club I belong to has a segment of the club that likes and fly's gliders. They use a 40% cub as a tow plane. I myself have a couple of powered gliders. No tow plane needed but of course they aren't as light so shorter flight times, at least the unpowered time. But then power back up and do it again. I find gliders so relaxing.
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    I came up with my own design for the shoulder seat belt trim rings. I like the "No Hardware" look. What do you think?

These are photos of the first two ops.

P1030691.JPGP1030692.JPGP1030693.JPGP1030695.JPGP1030696.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here I've added the belt slot and drilled and counterbored the holes for the rivets. As you can see I'm using a tab mounted to the 3/4" tube to hold them in place.

P1030702.JPGP1030703.JPGP1030704.JPGP1030705.JPGP1030706.JPG

30. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, Jim! Those turned out really nice. Even better to have seen them in person. Very nice touch, and will complement your Breeze cubby trim surround. I'm jealouse.
    Chris

32. Likes Jim Frahm liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234