Hello from Sudbury, Mass. I'm about to start my first Mk4 build and thought I'd start a thead like others before me. Other than some routine car maintenance and repair, this will be my first attempt at building a car. I'm a scientist by profession and woodworker/DIYer by hobby. Like every other skill I've picked up during my half-century, I'll think the best way to way to learn is by doing (and making mistakes along the way). I've been lurking on this site for some time, and now I'm ready to start building. Thanks for all the shared experiences and guidance so far.

My build plan so far:
FFR components:
>FFR Mk4 complete kit (Dec 2023 pickup at the factory - bought a used 18 ft enclosed trailer for this).
>Powder coated frame
>IRS suspension
>Manual steering (thinking about the DCE Microsteer if anyone has tried that - pls LMK).
>Manual clutch
>17 in replica Halibrands
>Wilwood's all around
>Leather seats
>Dash with glovebox
>GPS Gauges
>2 rollbars

Engine/Transmission
>Forte sourced 427W World Products Block, Edelbrock Headers & ProFlow EFI, TKX

Other options
>Breeze battery box, radiator mounts, fan shroud, lower rad pipe
>Wilwood Electronic Parking brake
>Leather hide for door cards, dash, console.
>FFMetal firewall and tunnel cover
>Heated Seats
>Moroso 2 qt coolant tank
>Russ Thompson-spec turn signal, gas pedal and drop truck from TJ @Mountain Metalworks

Body work will be sourced. I hate doing drywall, and the bodywork seems to be along the same lines, so I'll source the dusty sandy mess. I have an HVLP turbine that I used for wood finishing, but I don't use it enough to trust myself painting a car - seems like I end up sanding sags and drips off every project on the first coat before I remember the technique.

I have my crusher car and will send it off to the junk yard when I get closer to completion of the Mk4.

-Joel