Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Welcome to the Roadster forum! PLEASE READ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for posting in the wrong place
    Learning

Post Thanks / Like
    The Windy City boys are seriously moving forward to determine our order. My son and I are welcome to all your tips, and ideas both for the orginal order and all the interesting ideas and modifications you have made for yours. We will order the full kit. We are looking at 400-450 hp engine from forte or engine factory. Please feel free to send me anything and everything. I would greatly appreciate it or.. direct me to the threads you think worthy of looking at. Remember anything and everything. Also we are 6' and 6'2" so foot space is a "hot" topic.. but really anything. We did take the build class Dec '11. All your help, experience and advice would be greatly appreciated..

Post Thanks / Like
    newbie here. just starting to look for a donor car and getting to learn from the threads. found a car that is not starting but seems cheap but still have to do research if the vin is provided to me by the seller. 2000 GT 4.6 automatic 81k miles garage kept. seller claims has no clue why the car is not starting despite having "many new parts". not thrilled with the automatic so how much woud switching with a manual set me back if I had to. do automatic transmissions sell in the used market?
    my thought is to invest in cheap donor first and the dive in to order the kit when I have a better handle on how much more I have to buy away from the donor.

appreciate any thoughts.

given the welcome message - should I go for an 818 instead for something more manageable?

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I am considering buying a mk4. I am fairly mechanically inclined but necessary in auto. I have messaged factory five and they don’t seem to think assembling one should be a problem. I have watched a few YouTube videos and browsed the manual and it doesn’t look too intimidating. I would like other builders opinions on the difficulty of the build please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytong View Post
    Hi. I am considering buying a mk4. I am fairly mechanically inclined but necessary in auto. I have messaged factory five and they don’t seem to think assembling one should be a problem. I have watched a few YouTube videos and browsed the manual and it doesn’t look too intimidating. I would like other builders opinions on the difficulty of the build please.
    I had never done anything on a car other than changing a tire and I was able to build two roadsters thanks to the help on the forums. YOU CAN DO IT!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

6. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the response. Can I ask what all u used for engine drivetrain and how difficult that part was?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytong View Post
    Appreciate the response. Can I ask what all u used for engine drivetrain and how difficult that part was?
    I used crate motors for both of my builds. There are several vendors who can supply "turn key" drivetrains. I'm a big guy so I got 302 cu in motors for both of my builds.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Howdy David,

I’m trying to get more info on the head pad you attached to the roll bar there on your blue build.

Is that a custom product you created?

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I had never done anything on a car other than changing a tire and I was able to build two roadsters thanks to the help on the forums. YOU CAN DO IT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    Howdy David,

I’m trying to get more info on the head pad you attached to the roll bar there on your blue build.

Is that a custom product you created?
    In case he doesn't see your post I'll answer for David---the pads like shown on the blue car were produced by our friend Cobra Earl and are out of production. You might turn up an unused one by posting a "want to buy" in the classifieds. Heck, it might be worth sending Earl a PM on the off chance that he has some old stock.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,
    I am going to be mounting the brake reservoir today and wondering where people mounted it in there car? Here is a photo of the one I am using.
    IMG_3624.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    are you going to use one or two reservoirs? are you running a cable or hydraulic clutch? many use a triple reservoir setup (2 for front/rear brakes and 1 for hydraulic clutch) and mount it to a bracket attached to the 3/4" tube just in front of the DS footbox wall. you want to make sure the top of the lid is below the 3/4" frame for hood clearance issues and that you don't place your bracket/reservoirs too far in front of the footbox to avoid issues w/ the hood struts. CNC used to make a double/triple reservoir but they went out of business. Contact Mike Forte, I think he has some aluminum billet triple reservoirs for sale. I have an unused stock FF brake fluid reservoir like in your pic if you want to run a double reservoir and want matching units. I just have the reservoir and none of the mounting brackets. FF sells the whole kit for $62. make me an offer if interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just one reservoir for front and back and I am running a cable clutch. Thanks for the advice on where to place the brake reservoirs, I think I will use one for now and see if I need to upgrade later down the line. Have a good weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow I am going to start on the wiring harness and the dash. Any advice that you guys can give me to make the process go smoother and make the dashboard look professional?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the wrong forum.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusis View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am going to be mounting the brake reservoir today and wondering where people mounted it in there car? Here is a photo of the one I am using.
    IMG_3624.jpg
    Most of us mount it on the 3/4 tube in front of the driver's footbox.
    Remember that the top of the reservoir must be above the master cylinders.
    Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the body or hood and you'll be fine.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Welcome Aboard From The Dark Dart Side!

18. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post