Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Factory Five Registry Discussion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Factory Five Registry Discussion

I'd like to get some feedback from everyone on an idea for a registry that I've been working on. I created a form and registry forum for the Roadster. This basic idea is that anyone who owns a Roadster can fill out to get it in the registry. The data that you fill out in the form will be searchable on every field. Your Roadster DOES NOT need to be completed to be in the registry.

Here is the Roadster Registry Thread:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...dster-Registry

What are your impressions?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome idea David.

The only thing I would add to the engine section is induction method. Efi, carb, individual throttle body, turbo or supercharged.

It would be great to have this database for all models. A new builder wants to know what people people put on their car. Folks could use this registry to find the type of build they like then follow the posts by the builder to find out how they did it.

John

Thanks
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    David, looks good to me, though Engine Displacement, 406 or 408? I know a bunch of guys have 351W's stroked to 408.

Something else that might be interesting would be the Builder's name, and or previous owner. It might be a nice way to track a car that has changed hands a couple of times.

-Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

...master of none. CapeCoralCobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Something else that might be interesting would be the Builder's name, and or previous owner. It might be a nice way to track a car that has changed hands a couple of times.

-Scott
    X2 on this. Tracking a car's history is an important feature, IMHO.

Also, maybe an option for a more accurate location? Perhaps a fill-in line (no drop downs) so one can be as specific/non-specific as preferred, such as a state/province, region of a state. or even city & state.

And how about wheel brand/type/color?

Just a few thoughts. Thanks for you efforts.
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.
    "There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!" Randy Jones

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those are good ideas. I'll make some changes and report back.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good David. But I do have a couple of suggestions. In the other options section (radio etc.) several builders (myself included) don't have a radio but do have, for example, an amp, speakers and plug in for my iPod. Would it be possible to include something like: iPod/mp3 player?

Also, under paint/body how about a check box for pro paint-body/builder paint-body?

Thanks for taking the time to set this up and I'll see you at the beach.

Ray

PS: Let me know when it goes "live" so I can fill in the form....
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    John and Scott. Changes made. Look good?

Scott and CapeCoral, I changed some fields and added a Former Owners multi-Line field. How does that look?

Ray, I added IPOD/MP3 player to the options list.

Post Thanks / Like
    David, looks good, I think it is a great start. The previous owner thing I think the multi-field is probably the way to go as a start. Thinking wow it would be cool if it was a database with a link to the previous owners 'page' you could also track the changes to the car over time, etc.

Oh... one more thought, can we upload an image or two to the registry record?
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    ...can we upload an image or two to the registry record?
    If you look at the registry thread you will see that you can add attachments and the last field on the form is a rich text editor that you can also add images and embed video via BB codes. It can also be used to link to build sites, photo albums, blogs etc. I uploaded pics to my album on this site and then just used [IMG] tags embed them in the entry. BTW when you look at the pics in your album the [IMG] code is displayed so you can just copy and paste it into your entry (I use 2 browser windows for this).

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great David.

I think standardizing the choices is very important from a data gathering perspective. This way you can report on the mods people do accurately. Ie 90% of people who install A 427 also install double adjustable shocks. I'm making this up but I am sure from hanging around these boards that there are build themes. I'm going to build it by the book or totally off the hook for example . The ability to mine the data to find builds like what you would like to do will be valuable for new prospects and new builders.

I also think that FFR will benefit. If they see everybody relocates their battery to the trunk the mk5 will have the battery in the trunk.

As long the format you use is generic you can create the same thread for each forum with basically the same form.

The final thing I think would be cool is the ability to "like" a build. Sorta the same way you can rate a thread you can rate a build. Everybody wants to be liked. This will encourage people to share all of their good ideas for the benefit of the community.

Our cars are so exclusive we can afford to have everyone copy our ideas. Every car is guaranteed to be one of a kind regardless.

Thanks for working on this

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in, I agree with adding a more specific location other then just a region (city and state). How do you edit your information and how do you add images?

Great Job
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    BLTFRDTUF, see if you can edit your post. You should be able to use image tags in the edit box. You can also change your location, etc.

It's interesting that the thread is closed but you can still use the form to post to the thread.

Yeah, I meant to do that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

What about older ownership (on cars now MIA) information as I've personally owned 17 FFR's (working on #18, my lucky number now) since 1998.

Bill S.

PS: yes, I know, I am obsessed
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David -

Great effort. One suggestion, and one question. I think you may want to add a "Builder" field. This would allow owners to more easily discover the build history. It would also allow tracking of owner Vs. pro built cars.

Could you comment on security? Is this all honor system, or is ther some validation? I'm concerned about this becoming another source for ebay / clist scammers and social networking fraud.

Thanks for your efforts here!
    FFR 5385 MKIII. 302, 3-Link. All legal in MA 1/7/2012.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David,
    I'm sure there will be a lot of changes going forward but I would like to applaud your efforts and implementing this so far! Thank you, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like Denny said, a city and state should be required fields. A broad label, like "Region" allows for too many variations of data.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coupes?
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea David. Appreciate your effort. It will be a good source for info for everyone from newbies to repeat builders. I'm assuming we will be able to edit as our build changes and matures. Really cool idea. Thanks Nick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    BLTFRDTUF, see if you can edit your post. You should be able to use image tags in the edit box. You can also change your location, etc.

It's interesting that the thread is closed but you can still use the form to post to the thread.

Yeah, I meant to do that...

Dave, there is no edit post button at the bottom of the registry post. Any thoughts or am I missing something?

Thx
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BLTFRDTUF View Post
    Dave, there is no edit post button at the bottom of the registry post. Any thoughts or am I missing something?

Thx
    There is no edit button because the thread is closed. I re-opened the thread so that edits can be made. Unfortunately I don't see a work-around that would allow me to keep the thread closed to posting, but open for both form submissions and post edits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. I didn't see an option for 24" wheels and let's hope we never do.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

When trying to register today I noticed there was not a SouthWest region.

Mike
    FFR2290K

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    RON SCHOFIELD - PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a really good idea. My only suggestions are that a) it looks too "vertical" and requires a lot of scrolling between entries. I'm no computer genius, but could the data be entered in a table which automatically tallies responses to build up modification and option data?