Thread: Newest go-cart observations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Newest go-cart observations

Picture is here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Observations, not critiques.

Stock seats. The donor must have been a WRX TR model as I beleive that's the only trim (in '06) that had the separate headrests.

Coolant tubes run outside of frame. Looks like hot and cold on seperate sides.

Long shifter cables that run forward from the shifter and then around the frame and finally to the back of the transmission.

Fuel tank behind the seats as evidenced by the large silver filler cap. (critique: Put it on the passenger side like all proper Subarus!)

Long extension spacing the turbo away from the factory downpipe. They normally bolt together. I'm guessing that this is a temporary heat management solution so the gocart can be driven without melting close-to-motor stuff. A final exhaust will come with a final body.

Factory instrument cluster looks like it's just sitting on the frame waiting for a fiberglass dash to call home.

Picture is too dark and too low resolution to check for H6 compatability (likely as intended)

So far, I don't see anything that would exclude most other Subarus as donors. A cable clutch being the biggest hurdle for older cars.
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 05-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good so far. Can't wait for some official photos. Lotta wiring but that's expected for ODBII. I observed pretty much everything you did there. I like how they routed the coolant pipes, on my old mk2 mr2 it ran down with fuel tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Picture is here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Observations, not critiques.

Stock seats. The donor must have been a WRX TR model as I beleive that's the only trim (in '06) that had the separate headrests.

Coolant tubes run outside of frame. Looks like hot and cold on seperate sides.

Long shifter cables that run forward from the shifter and then around the frame and finally to the back of the transmission.

Fuel tank behind the seats as evidenced by the large silver filler cap. (critique: Put it on the passenger side like all proper Subarus!)

Long extension spacing the turbo away from the factory downpipe. They normally bolt together. I'm guessing that this is a temporary heat management solution so the gocart can be driven without melting close-to-motor stuff. A final exhaust will come with a final body.

Factory instrument cluster looks like it's just sitting on the frame waiting for a fiberglass dash to call home.

Picture is too dark and too low resolution to check for H6 compatability (likely as intended)

So far, I don't see anything that would exclude most other Subarus as donors. A cable clutch being the biggest hurdle for older cars.
    It's hard to tell but I don't think the turbo has been moved from the stock location. I think that bracket looking contraption that's about midway down where the stock downpipe would be is simply the doughnut-style gasket connector that allows you to move the pipe around as found on the 65 roadsters. Pic of that same bracket on a 65 roadster seen below.

Also, it appears they have tilted the drivetrain forward a good bit, probably in an attempt to lower the cog a good bit by getting the engine closer to the ground. Looks effective!

Post Thanks / Like
    Unlike the GTM, this car could be the future of the challenger series race cars. The GTM has issues to prevent it from being a viable option but from the look and structure of the 818, it looks like the future car of that series.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worded a bit odd, I guess.

The turbo is in the stock location. Instead of bolting the downpipe directly to the turbo (as is OEM) the downpipe is spaced back by a horizontal fabrication/tube. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worded a bit odd, I guess.

The turbo is in the stock location. Instead of bolting the downpipe directly to the turbo (as is OEM) the downpipe is spaced back by a horizontal fabrication/tube. At least that's what it looks like to me.
    Ahh yes, I believe you're exactly right with that...Well, there is a spacing but I don't believe that's the factory downpipe though.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very nicely done!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is the factory downpipe. One of the people mentioned it after talking to jim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    It is the factory downpipe. One of the people mentioned it after talking to jim.
    it is a factory downpipe, but it still has an extension on it moving it further from the turbo. it is clearly seen in this picture.

Last edited by StatGSR; 05-14-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    What size is the person you show seated?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they start the engine? I'm curious what the exhaust note is going to sound like out of such a short pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for not introducing myself... this is my first post but anyways... here are the pics:

Post Thanks / Like
    newenglandsubarus./forums/showpost.php?p=656877&postcount=11

Just throw www. in front of that and a com after the dot

*Sorry about the double post.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    Did they start the engine? I'm curious what the exhaust note is going to sound like out of such a short pipe.
    Pretty much like this:

Turbos quiet the engine down quite a bit, actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    Yeah, I see now :-P It's been so long since I've used mine I hardily recognized it. I bet this is for MA state emissions compliance, the factory cats must be used and must be in the factory location as a bud of mine reminded me of this morning. This is somewhat of a *******ization but perhaps that would slip by inspection. The only other option would be to alter the up pipe to rotate the turbo forward so the stock DP can bolt up to it without the bracket.

I just hope they offer a larger bellmouth or divorced wg setup so I don't have to custom fabricate the downpipe as I'll most likely be going catless...

The wiring looks daunting though, there's so much mess sitting where the passenger seat would go it scares me.

Do we know if the harness can be 'dieted' like on the fords? I know there's a good bit of codes that can be turned off on the ECU so you can leave connectors dangling and unplugged but not if the wires can be trimmed and capped. I imagine so but I've never split open a plug to see if there's any resistors or such in there.

PhyrraM would probably know...

Also, looks like adjusting the seat won't really be an option, those bars are way too close to fit your hand down there to pull the height adjustment leaver....
    Last edited by BrandonDrums; 05-14-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
    The wiring looks daunting though, there's so much mess sitting where the passenger seat would go it scares me.

Do we know if the harness can be 'dieted' like on the fords? I know there's a good bit of codes that can be turned off on the ECU so you can leave connectors dangling and unplugged but not if the wires can be trimmed and capped. I imagine so but I've never split open a plug to see if there's any resistors or such in there.
    There aren't any resistors or components in the plugs, it would be pretty easy to strip out the loom. I stripped the cruise control out of my 04 RS loom and spliced it into an 04 JDM WRX loom, there wasn't anything tricky about it but it was time consuming.

There are three separate harnesses - engine, main (cabin, through firewall and left fender to fuse box) and front (connects below right hand 'A' pillar and goes to lights/wipers/thermo fans/ABS/etc). Stripping the main would also remove SRS and ABS wiring which would add up to a fair amount of bulk being removed.

Basically everything in the Impreza engine bay apart from the engine that is controlled connects to the plugs under the 'A' pillar. I'd guess the easiest way to integrate the loom into the 818 would be for FF to supply a new front loom that connects to these plugs and does everything in the front of the car. I don't know what they'd do about the tail lights but there wouldn't be much wiring needed so probably not a big deal to cut and crimp some connectors into the existing loom.

I'd be interested to see what they are doing with the power steering as well. I removed the standard belt driven PS pump in my Impreza and am running an electric pump (electro-hydraulic) which is plumbed into the standard rack. Would be very easy to integrate this into the 818 instead of running lines down the car.

EDIT: Just had a better look and the loom doesn't appear to be routed at all. I think that lump of wiring in the passenger area is the majority of the loom. They'd be able to connect it up and fire up the engine but I can't see anything permanent....
    Last edited by ROB-RST; 05-26-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With all the relocation of components in this project, I think the customizing of the harnesses could be pretty labor intense but you could put it together like FFR has done with everything intact and test by mocking up the head and tail light, blinkers, etc. The labeling of all plugs and sockets with pics from the original donor would be good, too. I saw a guy building a Daytonna coupe who wired up everything and tested it like this before shortening and dieting the harnesses. Definitely the way to go. I also think the newness of the donor will have an effect on the task as the harnesses are hard to rework when they have "hardened" with age. The real reward in the end is that there is a lot more "plug and play" opportunities on this project even if you have to cut and solder to shorten some of it. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB-RST View Post
    I'd be interested to see what they are doing with the power steering as well. I removed the standard belt driven PS pump in my Impreza and am running an electric pump (electro-hydraulic) which is plumbed into the standard rack. Would be very easy to integrate this into the 818 instead of running lines down the car.....
    What did you use for the electric power steer pump? And why did you do it? I'm currently doing the same thing to my race car using an MR2 pump.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB-RST View Post
    I'd be interested to see what they are doing with the power steering as well. I removed the standard belt driven PS pump in my Impreza and am running an electric pump (electro-hydraulic) which is plumbed into the standard rack. Would be very easy to integrate this into the 818 instead of running lines down the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    What did you use for the electric power steer pump? And why did you do it? I'm currently doing the same thing to my race car using an MR2 pump.
    Just out of curiosity, why go to the effort (even a little) to add power steering? Depowering the rack makes sense to me, but as this won't have an engine block sitting over the front axle, what's the advantage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    I used a 2002 Holden/Open/Vauxhal/Saturn? Astra pump, it doesn't have the vehicle speed input like the MR2 version but it does vary the pump speed depending on load. It works very well and I have no complaints about the steering being light at higher speeds, or at any speed really. It should work very well on the skid pan as the steering feels really smooth at low speeds but I'd like to drive my car back to back with a mates who has reconditioned his stock pump.

I put a 3 stage Moroso dry sump pump in its place. I still had to use a mandrel on the crank pulley for a new drive (radius tooth) but for me it was a convenient spot. I'm also still runing a 3.5" under manifold intake so the engine should drop straight into an 818! I just hope there is room for the extra belt between the motor and the firewall....

Post Thanks / Like
    My observation:
    http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...%20and%20Ends/
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    I found these on the NE Subaru forums

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some pretty nice photos on the NE Subaru forums, I posted image links but said my post would need moderator approval.

http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/for...7&postcount=11

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a link to those photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flytosail View Post
    Do you have a link to those photos?
    Every time I post the link it deletes my post. Maybe because I don't have enough posts.
    Last edited by shim2; 05-14-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    it actually looks like it is spaced just so it can clear part of the frame for the suspension.

on the note of exhaust though, its interesting to think about the massive routing differences that might exist between turbo and none turbo donors, since it would be odd (although possible) to route the exhaust up over the axle from an NA header.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some nice images on the NE Subaru forum. I tried to post the image links here but it won't let me. They show just about every angle of the car from only a few feet away.
    Last edited by shim2; 05-14-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    re: Moderated posts

Our spam program catches a lot of junk posts working the way it does but unfortunately we have to approve some posts from new guys. Once you get past the first 10 or so you're good to go.

I've released all the moderated posts and check several times a day to see what needs to be released. You can PM me at anytime if you feel a post needs to be released from moderation.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Several aspects of the original template which caused me (and others) grief seemed to have been addressed.

1. Radiator height/angle has been lowered.

2. Rear overhang is less now, more realistic.

3. Stock seats and floor pan doing their best minimize overall height.

4. Even the roll bar has been improved to what appears to be a lower profile.

5. Intercooler, fuel tank and other tech issues appear to have been resolved.

The cake appears to be baked now, and the frosting (body) is eagerly awaited.

1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    Intercooler issues appear to have been resolved.
    This was one of the concerns I had. TMIC aren't that efficient to begin with, I was worried their wouldn't be enough airflow to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    This was one of the concerns I had. TMIC aren't that efficient to begin with, I was worried their wouldn't be enough airflow to it.
    I meant "resolved" in the context of where it was going to go.

The technical issues of being stuck in traffic with reverse air flow may be addressed by the addition of a large draw-down intake fan.

I have no idea, but if it adds weight and or costs it may not be addressed completely to everyone's satisfaction and or every worse case sernario.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    I meant "resolved" in the context of where it was going to go.

The technical issues of being stuck in traffic with reverse air flow may be addressed by the addition of a large draw-down intake fan.

I have no idea, but if it adds weight and or costs it may not be addressed completely to everyone's satisfaction and or every worse case sernario.
    I say, remove the entire rear portion of the body, everything behind the doors and leave it in your garage. That would should resolve any intercooler issues, not to mention get rid of those unsightly camel humps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    I say, remove the entire rear portion of the body, everything behind the doors and leave it in your garage. That would should resolve any intercooler issues, not to mention get rid of those unsightly camel humps.
    Well, those are structural. On a positive note, if there were air ducts facing forward on each hump, you could easily route a LOT of air to the intercooler underneath the angle bars behind the headrests. Kinda MR2 bodykit style but symmetrical and integrated into the body. If you wanted to get fancy, you could then route that air to vent right under the rear diffuser if there is one using some duct tape and metallic dryer hoses lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    More observations:

The shifter looks to be an OEM part from a non-Subaru.

The exhaust extension is clearly used to avoid the suspension.

OEM airbox is crammed above the right rear tire. I assume a frame revision will eventually fix this.

OEM radiator brackets, as expected.

Thee is no reason for the frame extension in front of the radiator except for a tilt-up front clip?

Still can't quite see answers to the fuel tank or H6 questions.

Battery up front, as evidenced by the red cable to the starter.

Post Thanks / Like
    More observations:

The shifter looks to be an OEM part from a non-Subaru.
    The shifter cables look to be lokar. I can't figure out what the shifter itself is out of. Maybe an MR2? There is some stuff like this (http://www.renegadehybrids.com/Custo...ures/Pic01.jpg -- which is way too expensive). There have to be lots of options out there in the sand rail community though that aren't so pricey.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure that's the battery in front of the brake master. I see a lot of wiring, I'm assuming most of it is factory harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two other things that I notice that I really like are the caster adjustable upper control arms and also the 5 point harness mounts!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm, personally, not keen on a 5 point harness. I would like to see the final chassis accomodate a (likely OEM) 3 point seatbelt.

Good observation on the seat height adjuster..a bit of hand space to reach it would be appreciated.

As far as wiring...tough call. Subarus use integrated harnesses. Meaning that engine controls are bundled and wrapped with all the other car systems. This makes segregating and trimming out useless functions very tedious. I'm betting that FFR's official instructions will not do this. However, nothing there to stop an individual from doing his own harness diet.

Off the top of my head....

HVAC, lots of wiring right behind the dash. Probably much of what you see in the passenger seat.
    Power windows, mirrors and door locks. Small bits of wiring all through out the harness.
    Map lights, Dome light and 4 door switches. I also think that power for specialty rear view mirrors is in all cars.
    Stereo and 4 speakers, one in each door.
    Non-cluster dash lighting. A good bit of wiring running across the dash.
    Fog lights and switch (on most WRXs)
    Trunk light.

In a stock Subaru the main wiring 'clusters' are the fuse/relay panel under the hood behind the battery and the fuse/distibution panel un the drivers footwell area.

Post Thanks / Like
    You saying that the Subi harness is integrated, would every harness be required to get car running properly?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast