Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS Install Help, Please

Post Thanks / Like

IRS Install Help, Please

Refer to the photos shown below. The first two show a gap between the IRS knuckle bushings and the lower control arm. Gaps are on the inner lug of the control arm clevis on both sides. Easy enough to shim out, I suppose, but wanted to check to make sure this isn't an indication of some larger problem.

The third photo shows a gap between the LCA rod end bearing and its mounting clevis on the chassis. The FFR install manual says to place 3 shims on the forward side of the rod end (which you can see in place here), but makes no mention of what to do after that. I'm guessing I should shove the LCA/rod end up against the 3 shims and then shim out whatever gap remains on the opposite side. Anybody know the correct procedure?

Thanks much.

-Karl

gap1.jpg

gap2.jpg

gap3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't worry about the gaps at the knuckles and tightened the bolts to draw them together. The gaps at the rod ends are there for alignment purposes and are shimmed using the supplied washers. The 3 shims on the front side of the forward rod ends are the starting point for alignment and the rear rod end moves on the through bolt as the track width is changed by screwing in/out the forward rod end. The rear rod end is screwed in/out to change the toe. You can leave all the shims out at the rear rod ends until the alignment is done.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not just torque the bolts down at the knuckles. Thats way too much space, shim it with a couple washers. Best to keep the ears as parallel as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    use shims. I think they are provided in the kit for IRS, mine were.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure you used the proper knuckle bushings?

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    Refer to the photos shown below. The first two show a gap between the IRS knuckle bushings and the lower control arm. Gaps are on the inner lug of the control arm clevis on both sides. Easy enough to shim out, I suppose, but wanted to check to make sure this isn't an indication of some larger problem.

The third photo shows a gap between the LCA rod end bearing and its mounting clevis on the chassis. The FFR install manual says to place 3 shims on the forward side of the rod end (which you can see in place here), but makes no mention of what to do after that. I'm guessing I should shove the LCA/rod end up against the 3 shims and then shim out whatever gap remains on the opposite side. Anybody know the correct procedure?

Thanks much.

-Karl

gap1.jpg

gap2.jpg

gap3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like your bushing are to narrow. I just completed my install, and had to use a bit of grease to help slide them into place. Where did you purchase your bushings?

Post Thanks / Like
    x2 - I have just fitted mine and they required some lithium grease and a fair amount of effort to get them to slide into the LCA.
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Bushings came installed with the Ford Racing M-5970-A kit car knuckles. Looks like you guys are using the polyurethane bushings whereas the stock Ford bushings are rubber. Maybe I need to swap out the bushings. Sigh...

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my bushings from energy suspension and I have the gap so I will use washers to fill the gap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grluisi150 View Post
    I bought my bushings from energy suspension and I have the gap so I will use washers to fill the gap.
    Well that's interesting. I wonder if I could ask one of you with no gap to measure the width of your LCA clevis (inside dimension between the lugs)? All four of mine measure about 2.5" (2.495" according to my caliper). Maybe it's not the bushing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    Well that's interesting. I wonder if I could ask one of you with no gap to measure the width of your LCA clevis (inside dimension between the lugs)? All four of mine measure about 2.5" (2.495" according to my caliper). Maybe it's not the bushing...
    Mine are similar, 2.45". With the bolts torqued, the clevis ends are angled slightly closer at the open end but not really enough to need a washer. The bushings are from FFR, so supposedly are the Energy Suspension ones. Had more of a problem getting both knuckle bushings in both clevis ends as the same time, chalked it up to the hand made nature of the parts. Since the bushings have a steel tube in the center that matches the width of the bushings, I would look at the installed width of the bushings, they might be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much for the measurement. I still don't have a bead on what's going on here. Doesn't seem to be the control arm, and the same brand bushing has no gap in one installation, a gap in another. Even if there was variability in the polymer/rubber bushing width, the sleeve that goes through the bushing should measure about 2.5" to match the clevis and should be very consistent. My sleeves are short enough that I need two 0.060" washers to fill the gap. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I received a set of the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings today and the fit is exactly the same as the stock rubber bushings. The clevis on the lower arm measures 2.5" and the sleeve that goes in the bushing measures 2.4", resulting in a 0.10" gap. I'm becoming convinced this is just the way this goes together. Any body have a picture that shows otherwise? Not trying to be contrary but it just drives me crazy that I can't figure this out...

LCA_gap.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Bushings

Hello Karlos,

This what mine look like with the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, as you can see the metal sleeves inside the bushings are the same width, I remember having to muscle them into the lower control arms as they were a tight fit and had no gap.

I hope this helps

DSC04840.JPG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul S View Post
    Hello Karlos,

This what mine look like with the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, as you can see the metal sleeves inside the bushings are the same width, I remember having to muscle them into the lower control arms as they were a tight fit and had no gap.

I hope this helps

DSC04840.JPG.
    That's an interesting picture - grease zerks on rubber bushings. I don't remember mine from Ford Racing having that. I'll have to go inspect them now.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello 2bking,

I added those myself, poly not rubber

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Complete Kit IRS with new Ford Racing knuckles and Energy bushings. Mine were very tight.