I'm researching my engine & transmission options for a 33 hot rod that I'm planning on starting this summer.

My current thinking is to go with a Ford 302 donor engine. Then tear it down and build it back up as I want. I figure that if I'm going to spend money building a car then I should have an engine that I want. I'm currently thinking of getting a 302 Windsor from an F-150. Why an F-150, my thinking is the bottom end is going to be plenty sturdy and that is important if I make improvements to the engine.

As for a transmission, I'm planning on using a TCI Streetfighter. Seems like a really good transmission. I can't decide if I should go with the automatic or the manual setup. I've always liked shifting a real transmission, especially for a car like the hot rod. But, automatics have a very LONG ways and it seems like they have really caught up w/ a manual. I just like the look & feel of shifting a transmission.

Any suggestions/advice is most appreciated, especially on the engine setup. I've got really thick skin so don't hold back. I'm really looking for advice & wisdom here.

Does my engine selection sound reasonable?

Thanks.

-brad w.