Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Budget GTM build thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Budget GTM build thread

Disclaimer....Don't be mislead by this "budget" project of mine. It has take lots and lots of planning and I also have the ability to financially cover unseen costs even if the cost is 100% more than planned. The GTM is not an inexpensive build!! This build log is not meant to confuse people into the false hope of building something they can not afford. With proper planning (building bare bones) FFR's notion of a 35K-40K GTM "might" be be realized. But until I am done and the last bolt is fastened I can make no claim that sub 40K is possible. Remember most of the cars are in excess of 60K to build without counting labor. When comparing values, this build should not be used as a comparative of true value. I am using a second hand kit, a 5.3 engine, a short nose trans and I have researched/planned cut cutting strategies for nearly two years. By no means am I building a "cheap" GTM, I am just cutting expense on some of the nicer things many of the builders are putting into their cars. Just as one can buy a new C6 for 50K or ZR1 for 110K, here too, there are many levels of GTM's.

I will keep copious notes and spread sheets. When I am done, hopefully there will be a road map for other budget builders to follow.

I am aiming to build a $30,000 GTM (materials only no labor).

I purchased my kit second hand but if my figures are correct for roughly $7000.00 more than my target budget, a Gen2 can be completed including the factory A/C. So here is the game plan....I am using a 2005 aluminum 5.3 L33 (I hear those snickers) that I purchased locally with everything needed for $750.00. This motor comes stock with the 243 heads. I have purchased a 216/220 exh .525/.532 cam w/918 springs for $257.00 nearly new. So all said and done I have a 2005 29K motor with 243 heads, small cam (about 40whp increase), 2005 (newer) electronics and around 370-380 na hp for just over $1000.00. I will also be running a MP70 turbo with a dual switch 6/12psi boosting output to 500@6psi or 650@12psi. I purchased a 2003 donor and parted it out, I swapped all of the drive accs and the oil pan over before selling the LS1, the buyer was fine with it since he was putting the motor in a gen3 Camaro. From the sale of the un-needed donor parts I have not only gotten all the GTM parts for nothing, I have also made enough profit to cover the full cost of both the transaxcle and the engine completely as well as roughly half the cost of the used GTM kit. I purchased the spare trans from Richard owner of PDG GTM as a race prep'ed box that was no longer needed when they converted over to Mendeola. The GTM kit was purchased second hand off ebay for $15,000 with lots and lots of new extras. Do to work restraints I have hired Mike Everson to complete the go-kart with me, his labor is not included in my sub 30K target.

I will be going two tone paint...(done right) using Dupont Chroma-Premier Copper pearl with M/B graphite roof and stripe. The same guy that painted Haya's car and Joe Mush's (Jonh Leflame) will be doing mine (awesome price too).

So here goes...............
    Last edited by Kalstar; 09-29-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added new info