Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road & Track eval of the 818R

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Send me mine NOW Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funny part about the article is that it was just 40°F (which hurt the skidpad G numbers) and was before the second round of track testing. The car was noticeably faster and more balanced after the R&T article was written.
    Wayne! I KNOW! The car was faster, sharper, and way better after you guys and the KONI shock boys had their two days of track time. HUGE thanks especially to you and the other development guys. The car is fast for sure and will deliver big grins on anyone who climbs behind the wheel. We are sorta crazy around here with production matters and the guys are in the middle of the street car build for open house. Everyone loved the idea of a weight guessing game. Raise some money for charity and have some fun in the process.

I am most anxious to listen to what people say at open house. I personally am committed to a removable hardtop, engineered and designed to work with the existing body shape, but at this point its discipline that is needed to focus on the vital production issues to ensure a smooth launch. I don't want to jinx myself, but it just seems that the vectors are all lining up in the right direction,. The new laser machine is cutting FLAWLESSLY and making in-process changes easy. The new molds look great and the training is ahead of schedule. I'm not saying everything is perfect, but I am more proud of the team than I've ever been. There is a spring in everyone's step and alot of positive fellowship. I LOVE the way everyone is working together.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dave, how about a build thread for the 818 being prepped for open house?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Hey Dave, how about a build thread for the 818 being prepped for open house?

They need no distractions from the Wookie Gallery!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the guess my weight activities!

Can we get some more information to give us some ideas on that weight?

for instance:
    what seats
    wipers and or heater
    wheels and tires used
    al or steel lower control arms

Great article reinforcing the great project strategy and execution! Well done by the entire F5 team! I can't wait for my kit to be ready, I'm hoping that it continues to go so well that you can beat the estimated kit date of early August...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I am most anxious to listen to what people say at open house. I personally am committed to a removable hardtop, engineered and designed to work with the existing body shape
    That's awesome to hear. Can't wait for the open house...at least I have my donor teardown to focus on right now, otherwise I'd probably be going nuts! Going for a roadster and adding a hardtop later on might be a nice way to break up the cost of the project too...hrmmmm, you guys are making it too easy!

Post Thanks / Like
    A compatible hard top is the BEST news I've heard! Well, next to the performance numbers, so I guess that makes it the SECOND best news I've heard! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Now if we could get some rollup windows we would be golden.... but hardtop with crazy numbers will do for now. Man i cant wait til my delivery next summer. It can come soon enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Now if we could get some rollup windows we would be golden.... but hardtop with crazy numbers will do for now. Man i cant wait til my delivery next summer. It can come soon enough
    +2!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well the 33 and GTM have power windows....Why would you want roll up?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Now if we could get some roll up windows we would be golden.
    Agreed. I'm patiently waiting for the 818C to come out so I can have goodies like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Well the 33 and GTM have power windows....Why would you want roll up?
    Wayne I think he means working windows instead of curtains...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, great feedback for sure, really cool news, can't wait to read the article.

Dave H, are you planning on going out to the Open House again this year? I am on the fence, thinking of maybe sneaking up Friday night and leaving the family behind this time.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott, I'll be there. Erik Hansen and I are arriving into Boston @ 5:30 and we are planning on meeting up with you guys at breakfast.

You gotta go!

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I'll be up there Friday night..driving up from Alabama. I can't wait!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    And all that comming from a Grand Am driver!!!! To be able to thrill a guy that races those cars is awesome
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean power windows. Curtains are cool put lers be honest who wouldnt want actusl winfows that go up and down. Go look at a old school viper. They had curtains. It just looks a bit cheap and there is no security at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave said they planned to offer roll up windows (he didn't specify power windows) at some point in the future, though he didn't say at what point in the future, nor did he say if it would be limited to a specific body style (i.e. coupe only?).

Trust me - I'm eagerly awaiting these as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am going to breakfast to, at daves sat morning

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be driving up from NY, EARLY Saturday morning... come hell or high water I'll be there in time for the weigh in.

Are you guys leaving from RI at a certain time? Perhaps i'll catch you on the road.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am leaving my house in Exeter at like 7:00- 7:30 to get to daves diner at like 8:00 or 8:15 than off to openhouse at 9

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to go SOOOO bad, but the flights... OMG!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Road & Track article is the reason I'm here. This is exciting... not unlike when my friends built their first dune-buggy back in the early '70s. I've wanted to do something like this ever since, even developing project plans using (of all things) Chevette parts. I can't wait to get started, but first, I'd better run this by my wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by squarebear View Post
    The Road & Track article is the reason I'm here. This is exciting... not unlike when my friends built their first dune-buggy back in the early '70s. I've wanted to do something like this ever since, even developing project plans using (of all things) Chevette parts. I can't wait to get started, but first, I'd better run this by my wife.
    Welcome to the forum, Squarebear!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see that the car performs. It's got true, proven factory five lineage like the GTM and the rest of the lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3.8 0-60/12.5 quarter in colder weather (30-50 degrees) is damn quick. I bet 3.2/12 or high 11 when its 80 or above. very impressive numbers and with only 273whp. I am going to have at least 300-330whp and torque with a much higher redline of 8600 from a pretty much stock ej207. I am going to get to 60 in 3 secs and a mid-high 11 quarter, wow FFR, I love you.

Anyone notice something missing in the article photos?
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 05-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    3.8 0-60/12.5 quarter in colder weather (30-50 degrees) is damn quick. I bet 3.2/12 or high 11 when its 80 or above. very impressive numbers and with only 273whp. I am going to have at least 300-330whp and torque with a much higher redline of 8600 from a pretty much stock ej207. I am going to get to 60 in 3 secs and a mid-high 11 quarter, wow FFR, I love you
    Imagine it a few hundred pounds lighter...and imagine another 100hp!!! I'm willing to bet that sub 3secs will be possible, although some form of traction control or launch controll might be needed. And while this car is going to shine at auto x and road racing, it's nice to know it'll still impress the masses at the strip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave
    Congratulations on the 818! I am looking forward to my November delivery.
    You seem very fixed on the weight. Have you thought about a Braille Battery? Their lightweight battery may save 20 to 40 pounds according to their web site. I saw them at SEMA and held their 2.5 pound battery in one hand. Incredible! I am planning to install one in my 818R.
    Last edited by MurrayT; 05-30-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Grammer
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    2007 Dodge RAM 3500
    2006 Subaru WRX STi
    1996 Chevy Tahoe
    1968 Camaro Convertible
    1959 Chevy Apache Fleetside

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like they're already using a lightweight battery. The one pictured below looks to be in the 11-12 lb range.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayT View Post
    Dave
    Congratulations on the 818! I am looking forward to my November delivery.
    You seem very fixed on the weight. Have you thought about a Braille Battery? Their lightweight battery may save 20 to 40 pounds according to their web site. I saw them at SEMA and held their 2.5 pound battery in one hand. Incredible! I am planning to install one in my 818R.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Every pound matters. On the 818S we are building it with a smaller, lighter battery:

Post Thanks / Like
    When is this issue going to be available to buy at the stores. I what to read it sooo bad. They still had the june edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh2pd View Post
    When is this issue going to be available to buy at the stores. I what to read it sooo bad. They still had the june edition
    I bought it last night, the graphic design is priceless (I won't spoil it for you)

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody PLEASE take/release photos from this open house event of taller drivers sitting in the 818! Pictures of the seating position and pedal orientation are critical!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I bought it last night, the graphic design is priceless (I won't spoil it for you)

Brought back memories? Same here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really excited about this. The review from R&T is amazing, they dont just throw around reviews like that, they were obviously really impressed!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great article!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wish they would have their cars tested with regular street tires, not DOT street legal race tires. My 240 can pull over 1g with the same tires. They did the same thing with the GTM, they put on Toyo RA1 tires, and of course it pulled 1.05g on the skidpad, and had a 0-60 of 3 flat.

I would be more interested in knowing what the car would do with standard high/ultra high performance tires (Mitchelen Pilots, Bridgestone S04, ect ,ect). Yes, I agree, that Factory Five wanted the car to shine, but set it up like it would be on the road. When car magazines test vehicles, if it's a road going vehicle, they test it with road going tires (not race tires), so you can't compare some of the stats with those of other cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Checked the article and loved it, especially the analysis at the end. There is one thing I find peculiar. The article mentions that the car, as tested, was 25k. I wonder what the extra 9,000$ was for. It mentioned stock brakes and 818, which is ony 1000$ more than base. In addition, the 270 hp quouted could easily be achieved with about 3k in mods. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by guitaraholic View Post
    I just wish they would have their cars tested with regular street tires, not DOT street legal race tires. My 240 can pull over 1g with the same tires. They did the same thing with the GTM, they put on Toyo RA1 tires, and of course it pulled 1.05g on the skidpad, and had a 0-60 of 3 flat.

I would be more interested in knowing what the car would do with standard high/ultra high performance tires (Mitchelen Pilots, Bridgestone S04, ect ,ect). Yes, I agree, that Factory Five wanted the car to shine, but set it up like it would be on the road. When car magazines test vehicles, if it's a road going vehicle, they test it with road going tires (not race tires), so you can't compare some of the stats with those of other cars.
    The particular car tested was the 818R -- which, while it may be set up to be street legal, essentially IS a race car. Considering that, it seems to me that DOT street legal race tires are precisely the right choice for the test. Just my .02
    Last edited by Silvertop; 06-01-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    Can a full windshield be added to the 818R?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Paint, vinyl, wheels/tires ,wildwood pedals and master, bigger fuel cell, wing, carbon aero kit, kirkey seat, etc. And it is a base tune, remember much less drivetrain loss. I prob missed something, but this stuff adds up quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my copy of Road and Track. Great article! Loved the creative photos and graphics. So glad I am already on the list. I think the wait list is going to get a lot longer after this magazine gets around. Interesting how the 818R was just a few pages away from the $303,000 Aston Martin with slower performance times! Factory Five delivers super car performance on a beer budget.

Dave, I think you going to need a bigger Factory!

MurrayT
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    2007 Dodge RAM 3500
    2006 Subaru WRX STi
    1996 Chevy Tahoe
    1968 Camaro Convertible
    1959 Chevy Apache Fleetside

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast