Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: King's MK4 Coyote Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Torsen/Axle issue

I took a couple of weeks off to go to Branson, Mo with the wife. We had a good time and saw a lot of fall color in the landscape. Some of the roads in the Ozarks made me wish I had the roadster finished.

I have been doing work-arounds while waiting on the back ordered CV axles for the IRS because I couldn't finish the brakes and rear suspension without them. I called the factory to find out when they might be delivered and was told about the end of Nov. They had axle assemblies that were too short but had the correct center shaft parts if I wanted to disassemble and replace the short shafts. Sounded good so they sent the parts. It was pretty quick removing the band clamps on the boots and c-rings holding the axle ends. I was able to reuse the boot clamps and the whole process took about 2 hours. For reference the short shaft part numbers are 14839 and the correct one are 15506. The difference in length is about .500 in. See picture below.

DSCF4257d.jpg DSCF4259d.jpg

I had reluctantly installed the pumpkin without having the axles to fit check. I had read on the forums about a fit problem where the axles would not lock into the torsen differential. Sure enough, mine were no different-they wouldn't lock in. I did all the problem checking, grease on the axle end and paint in the splines to verify the splines on the axle were not long enough-about .030 inch short. Others had lengthen them using a dremel so I gave it a shot. Here's the process and work in progress.

DSCF4245md.jpgDSCF4246d.jpg

The next fit check was a success.

DSCF4250m.jpg

I have to thank the forums and information I have found here for making this a quick fix for what could have been a very perplexing problem.
    Last edited by 2bking; 11-12-2013 at 02:01 AM.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build