Hi Mike,

Like you, I could have gotten another job by quitting and trying the business thing if it didn't work out but I never did. I ran a sail loft home shop 24' x 36' for 20 years while doing the main job. I liked the security and stability of having a 9 to 5 job. However, I was very dedicated to it when I was doing it. I guess I just worked it into the routine so it didn't seem to be a burden. The main reason I didn't take the plunge was the seasonal nature and how the business was tied to the economy. One of the first things people would quit buying was things for their boats. One the plus side though, it's hard to measure the perks and opportunities that happen when you get into a business. My liquidity seemed to be much better and I was able to buy wholesale for my favorite sport. I got to meet racers and people in sailing, I would have never done as a club sailor like sailing in the SORC (Southern Ocean Racing Circuit). You had to own a boat or be invited to sail on a boat. So all in all, doing a business is a positive thing. I'm sure you have experienced some of the intangibles that I mentioned.

If you can go back to your present status with out any trouble if things aren't to your liking, I would say go for it. I believe people would buy your product based on what I have seen. I'm sure your reputation for quality and attention to detail would differentiate you enough to bring you lots of business. I got some very good advice from a fellow sail maker who went all in on his business and took it to a higher financial level only to find that his profitability was not worth the extra effort. He said, " Do it as long as you are having fun." He stopped having fun when the business got too big and demanding (no time to enjoy sailing). It's a balancing act that can get away from you if you aren't careful.

Whatever your decision: continue having fun. I'm sure you will do what makes you happy.

WEK.