Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego builds, One the easy way, one the hard way

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting through the SB-100 and the first real drive. If they are out for the year, guess I need to make sure to finish up in the first half of next year!
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    As long as he has both the radiator and the turbo coolant reservoir, it should operate normally (assuming it is hooked up in the OEM configuration), as the turbo coolant reservoir pulls coolant from the radiator overflow. However, with the 818 having so much more coolant than the WRX, the OEM overflow tank is too small. Also, in the 818 it is angled vs upright in the WRX, so it tends to splash out more easily.

In our case, we deleted the turbo coolant reservoir, so we had to swap the caps so that the radiator could pull back in the coolant when it cooled.
    I ordered the new coolant tank for the front.
    I need to take a closer look at my caps, and which one belongs where. Currently the rear reservoir tank, fed by standard radiator cap, is lowering every drive, and the front tank, fed by one of the stock subaru caps, is always getting fuller and appears to overflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by svanlare View Post
    Congrats on getting through the SB-100 and the first real drive. If they are out for the year, guess I need to make sure to finish up in the first half of next year!
    Thanks, and sorry.

I wonder if that kills the Arial Atom, Catfish and other cars for the year? I'm pretty sure thats how they get street legal too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    I ordered the new coolant tank for the front.
    I need to take a closer look at my caps, and which one belongs where. Currently the rear reservoir tank, fed by standard radiator cap, is lowering every drive, and the front tank, fed by one of the stock subaru caps, is always getting fuller and appears to overflow.
    That was my concern. It sounds almost like we need to either have the turbo tank style cap front and rear or we need to seal off the radiator so it can't overflow. not sure what other effect that has.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the rear reservoir tank connected to the front overflow tank (as like OEM), then it should suck the coolant back in, from the front overflow to the turbo reservoir, when the car cools down. If they are disconnected, then the front will overflow and the rear will empty = bad.

I'm not sure what solution other people have found who have both tanks- perhaps running a radiator cap for a non turbo subaru, picked up at any parts store, on the radiator and the turbo reservoir would solve the problem, as it would permit both to overflow and pull vacuum as required. The PSI is different on the two caps though, so not sure how that would affect things for someone with a traditional setup.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    To clear up what I have, I found two pictures. Currently both, the front cap and the rear cap, are connected to separate Subaru overflow reservoir tanks.
    For the rear, I have this:Moroso_63784 (1).jpg

For the front I have exactly Mechie3's set up: front radiators.jpg

I need to think about this for a little bit, but you might be right Tamra, I may need to connect it back to the Subaru way, running a hose from front radiator and tee into rear reservoir. I thought I wouldn't have to since I don't have the stock turbo reservoir cap, I now have the Moorso standard cap, and they are different sizes/styles so I can't swap caps.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are suppose to go in sequence. I'm going to have to call the Sacramento DMV and confirm that there are no more. There should be 350 more to go if you really got 150. If that's true there are a lot of people who are going to be pretty upset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    They are suppose to go in sequence. I'm going to have to call the Sacramento DMV and confirm that there are no more. There should be 350 more to go if you really got 150. If that's true there are a lot of people who are going to be pretty upset.
    I agree with your logic. I also questioned it. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear in my posts.

Should I have not reported my experience?

Either way people are going to be upset. I am just trying to help out the community.

Feel free to update this thread with your confirmations.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you poted was perfectly fine. I will update my thread when I find out more info. I got screwed last year at the DMV and they refused to give me a SB100 number. Can't wait for this whole process to end and hopefully the people at your DMV were just being retarded. If you were the last person I would of really pushed getting to the inspections and you might of been the person in my shoes. Oh well time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Somewere I read that the state splits up the allotment of 500 to the various districts within the state. Could be that the southern districts allotment is gone. But my memory isn't what it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    If you have the rear reservoir tank connected to the front overflow tank (as like OEM), then it should suck the coolant back in, from the front overflow to the turbo reservoir, when the car cools down. If they are disconnected, then the front will overflow and the rear will empty = bad.

I'm not sure what solution other people have found who have both tanks- perhaps running a radiator cap for a non turbo subaru, picked up at any parts store, on the radiator and the turbo reservoir would solve the problem, as it would permit both to overflow and pull vacuum as required. The PSI is different on the two caps though, so not sure how that would affect things for someone with a traditional setup.
    Tamra - I also have the 2 separate overflows. Right now I'm using the same cap on both the radiator and the burp tank/turbo resevoir by the engine. (both are the cap that would normally have been just on the burp tank in the initial configuration, so allows both directions). I haven't cycled it enough times to determine if this is going to create a problem with 1 always emptying and the other always pulling fluid back in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with the DMV and they said they haven't reached the 500 limit yet. They wouldn't tell me the current number but they haven't gotten there yet. That was a relief but I'm going to hurry up now and get through my next inspections so I can get my number.

Post Thanks / Like
    any new interior photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Just got off the phone with the DMV and they said they haven't reached the 500 limit yet. They wouldn't tell me the current number but they haven't gotten there yet. That was a relief but I'm going to hurry up now and get through my next inspections so I can get my number.
    HEY, THAT'S GREAT!
    Thanks for updating this thread.

Now, was the nice lady at the DMV not telling me the truth when telling me that my Sequence Number is in the mail!? That would really suck for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    any new interior photos?
    No, I haven't installed my interior yet. I'm still working on eliminating all the dash lights, and installing misc. switch wiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting high on fumes

Installing the hood hinge now. Its going quite well.

Zero Decibel Motorsports rocks!

IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0229.JPG IMG_0231.JPG IMG_0232.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for test fitting!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

This is a lot of work!

This project is so much work. Does it ever end? I put on all my body panels like it was my last time doing it. All buttoned up! Yah!

Oh NO! The seat belts don't work! WTF? I have the sedan seat belts and they will not retract enough to reset the child-seat function. Only way to work on them, is to take off the side sails. ARRG! Another two hours gone. Now the mechanism has been modified and all is well now. But it seems like everything about this car has gone that way for me. Do it once, twice and sometimes a third time.

I took some time on the doors and door handles. This simple piece of metal is what I did that makes me feel better about my doors. The handle and liner install with no effort. I'll have to take a picture of final product this weekend.
    IMG_0240.JPG

That brings me to my three favorite things in the shop this week. 1) welder; I don't know how you can do this project with out a welder. I have made so many little brackets and tabs. 2) cordless rotary cut off wheel; this little guy will make short work of trimming and cutting fiberglass, aluminum, and steel. 3) safety glasses; I use to only wear them every now and then, but with this project I can't pick up a power tool with out putting them on. I've just gotten so use to wearing them. I feel invincible with them on.
    IMG_0241.JPG

Brackets and welding. These brackets were made for one part of the car. Do you know where they go?
    IMG_0233.JPG

Tips & Tricks;
    After side sails are in the perfect position, tack weld the washer to the frame. This way you can remove then reinstall side sails, and get really close, instantly.
    IMG_0242.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Brackets look like awic mounts. One mounts near turbo, other on top of trans where the pitch stop used to be. Not sure about others.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you on the welder. Best money I've spent on the project, and fun to learn too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't believe I missed this thread, damn, I thought I was only stupid about the wipers. lolll

Yeah no welder no project!!!
    No cut-off wheel no project either.
    Same for glasses, but just the glasses will make you invicible until the day you cut metal with a happy face and get a metal part sling-shotting onto your cheek. Happened to me, got very lucky I had little damage. Or maybe I had and that's why I got issues with the wipers... oh well!

That bracket on the door frame is to hold the handle?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Brackets look like awic mounts. One mounts near turbo, other on top of trans where the pitch stop used to be. Not sure about others.
    Yes, they are awic mounts and a transmission anti-pitch mount.

Post Thanks / Like

I made it to the moon!

This was my view coming to work this morning.
    IMG_0247.JPG

Driving 25 miles to work in a brand new car that I built feels like trying to go to the moon. At one point you just gotta go. No more around the block with tools near by. No more trailer with in 5 minute walk. Well, I made it!!!
    Now I have to make it home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Can't believe I missed this thread, damn, I thought I was only stupid about the wipers. lolll

Yeah no welder no project!!!
    No cut-off wheel no project either.
    Same for glasses, but just the glasses will make you invicible until the day you cut metal with a happy face and get a metal part sling-shotting onto your cheek. Happened to me, got very lucky I had little damage. Or maybe I had and that's why I got issues with the wipers... oh well!

That bracket on the door frame is to hold the handle?
    Yes, I also spent WAY too much time on windshield wiper(s) that will be taken off right after inspection.

Yes, the bracket is a bent piece of metal, welded onto the door frame. The manual calls for a spacer that was impossible to make work in a clean, sturdy manor.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!! That's a major milestone. Better do something about the oil temp and pressure though

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Congrats!!! That's a major milestone. Better do something about the oil temp and pressure though
    Thanks!

Yes, the temp and pressure sending units are not connected yet. But it is fun to watch what the pre and post intercooler temps do under different driving conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first drive. I've been doing the same almost everyday since I got my sb100 number. Trying to work out the kinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was my view coming to work this morning.
    IMG_0247.JPG

Driving 25 miles to work in a brand new car that I built feels like trying to go to the moon. At one point you just gotta go. No more around the block with tools near by. No more trailer with in 5 minute walk. Well, I made it!!!
    Now I have to make it home.
    Awesome drive!
    Sad traffic view, though. lolll
    Were people watching your car? I know CA is a great place for special cars and one-off cars, so people get probably used to it, but just asking.

About your gauge plate, what exactly is it and how did you tighten up the gauges?
    I'm sure you got pix in your thread, though.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Awesome drive!
    Sad traffic view, though. lolll
    Were people watching your car? I know CA is a great place for special cars and one-off cars, so people get probably used to it, but just asking.

About your gauge plate, what exactly is it and how did you tighten up the gauges?
    I'm sure you got pix in your thread, though.
    First night out was crazy. Lots of people, questions, etc.... Then the CHP rolled up. I thought to my self, oh, I'm in trouble now. My brake hoses are not DOT approved, my headlights are too low, my wipers still rub the hood, and I have a check engine light on.
    But you know the first thing out of his mouth!? "Is that an 818?" I could not believe it! He said that he has been following the car ever since he saw it on GrassrootsMotorsports a year or so ago. Crazy. He gave me all sorts of advice on how to make things go smoothly.

The gauge plate is a 3-D printed part. Simple. I can make some for who ever wants it. I made it so you can remove the gauges then remove the dash. If the gauges are attached to the dash it makes it really hard to install and remove the dash. To attach the plate, I drilled and tapped a strip of aluminum then VHB taped it to the backside of the dash. Gauges are attached to the plate just like they would to any hole, then the plate screws to the dash with 4 10-32 FHCS's.

And today there was some heavy traffic on the 15 North, and a passenger, in another car, is yelling out the window to me, asking me what kind of car is it. The car defiantly gets a lot of attention.

There are still many little, and not so little, things to fix on it, but right now its been a kick to experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work! it looks awesome :-)

are they xxr 270 or 300s?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Those photos look excellent!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    Great work! it looks awesome :-)

are they xxr 270 or 300s?
    XXR530s. 18"rear , 17"front.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Craig!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job, looks good
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy the way, I'm going to my nices wedding this afternoon in your neck of the woods at the Mt Woodson Castle. Someone doing donuts in the parking lot would be awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    what time? give me a window and I'll try for a fly-by. No donuts, yet.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast