Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,120 of 1358

Thread: RM1Sepex Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dan, keep the wires for the tgv sensors. you can hook them up to IAT post intercooler to log that temperature.
    Two free logging inputs.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    How Bob. I just terminated them and sealed them into the harness.. Temp readings would be very helpful, as a Mechanical Eng I need more EE information! :-)
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    How Bob. I just terminated them and sealed them into the harness.. Temp readings would be very helpful, as a Mechanical Eng I need more EE information! :-)
    Hi Dan,
    Each tvg sensor has 3 wires.

1 = sensor ground
    2= sensor plus 5v
    3= sensor signal

Your tuner will delete the tgv functionality.

Using a sensor such as:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/g...tail-p-62.html

Might need a 10 pull up resistor.

When you log, you will have to convert the tgv voltage to temperature.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hi Dan,
    Each tvg sensor has 3 wires.

1 = sensor ground
    2= sensor plus 5v
    3= sensor signal

Your tuner will delete the tgv functionality.

Using a sensor such as:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/g...tail-p-62.html

Might need a 10 pull up resistor.

When you log, you will have to convert the tgv voltage to temperature.
    Bob
    bob can this be done with a accessport or just open source??? thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    bob can this be done with a accessport or just open source??? thx
    I have not don't this.
    But I suspect it can be done with either open source or access port.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coated yesterday, wrinkle black to match my valve covers, more like lumpy or textured vs wrinkle, red wrinkle is much prettier on my BMW 325 valve cover...

Solids, semi gloss black on the TGV bodies, I made small covers, clearanced the TGV bodies to use simple .050 thick AL covers, also in semi gloss black. Hoping the engine gets final reassembly complete this week

P1120600.JPG
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 06-10-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    Dan

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very clean looking! I am going mostly all black as well..... Keeping it subtle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to use the oven door extension, the intake is a bit long for the std oven door, even at an angle
    Dan

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would LOVE a powder coating setup. They are so affordable now, but I just don't have room for a dedicated oven in my garage. Or really anywhere. Consider me jealous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave it in back of the garage under a tarp or do what we do... everyone shares capabilities, someone has room for the oven, that is where the powder coating equipment resides. Everyone chips in with something, pretty soon you have 25 different powders, a 10 lb container of semi gloss black etc... A couple big kits of plugs and you are set for almost anything. The oven cost nothing, you just need to setup a plug and wires, we drag it out of a corner of the garage and only do it in nice weather. We flipped the drawer around to make a door extension and insulated it with some fiberglass and made a cheap aluminum cover... We set up powder coating days and 2 or 3 people will do work. Yesterday Mike was over to do the framework for the dry sump oil tank on his 70's era formula ford too... Aluminum wheels up to 18 inches fit a std oven with the door extension, you need to fixture bolting it down to the rack to get it done w/o screwing up the uncured powder... We also have an IR stand type light to do bigger stuff but it takes forever. My wife's miata has pink wheels and her valve cover needs to be done this winter. I'm trying to match vinyl so that she can farther customize her summer "fun" car.
    Dan

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah my brother in-law and I do that actually. He has more woodworking tools, though he just bought a nice tubing bender that will bend up to 3" tubing (should come in handy when I make an R-style rollbar to replace the S-style on my 818). He also has a big shop...... I'll have to convince him to bring home any ovens he sees on the side of the road in the bad part of town =D

Post Thanks / Like
    Craigslist is your friend, ours came for free from a nice old lady who was so happy that her old oven would continue to be used (one bad burner) we didn't tell her it was relegated to the garage to reflow plastic!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for an update but first a trivia question: Did you know that the hole through the axle shaft and the CV joint is NOT centered? I've put this together 3 times now and I learned something new 15 minutes ago! My engine is in and bolted up, I returned the borrowed engine crane... and now I need to pop another suspension link to cheat the CVs out just a wee bit more to rotate them 180 degrees so that the holes line up and the pin can go through!

P1120602.JPG P1120603.JPG P1120604.JPG

P1120605.JPG P1120606.JPG P1120608.JPG

I tossed in a photo of my trailer stuffed full of my PV panels. http://www.altestore.com/store/ thought it was a pretty big order but compared to Factory five or my local micro brew in Freeport it is nothing. I have 31 panels for just under 10 KW, the Brewery has 140 something panels with two active trackers! On a sunny day mine will run my mig and other shop tools... about 40 amps at 240 volts
    Dan

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very nice.... I like your TGV blockoff plates. Much cleaner than what I did just leaving the thing exposed. Congrats on the engine install milestone.

Post Thanks / Like
    they are just hand made aluminum from IC pieces from FFR that I'm not using. I did spring for the SS socket head caps vs the original hex bolts.

Coffee and then back to it!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Jumping between engine re-install and testing out Craig's new hinges. Looks like my narrow front radiator support is an exception, unknown as to why/how Craig's number 15 has the newer wide piece when my #17 has the earlier nose. We must have been right at the swap over. Craig's making a new hood bracket spacer because if I make one there won't be any sweet Zero DB Motorsports cutouts!

P1120619.JPG P1120620.JPG

Craig's normal setup is 20 inches wide yet with my car it can't be more than 14 inches wide.

I'll powder coat everything before final assy. The hinge brackets will be black and the hinges themselves bright orange so they sort of disappear behind my grill.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I can be such an idiot. If Craig hadn't sent it pre assembled I would have just put it together and lined everything up. The hood is the same, I just had to flip the hood attachment pieces! DUH

P1120621.JPG

I can change which direction has his company name upright by rotating them 180 and having the brace on the bottom too.

Another AMAZING product from Craig... I'm so glad that I pushed him into making these!
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 06-19-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's funny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha! My bad. Next time I won't assemble things. lol
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    Now that's funny!
    Healthy to laugh at yourself, don't want to take most parts of life too seriously.

I started this build planning on doing it quickly and debugging it at autocrosses. It was to be bare bones as produced, now I have a new shortblock, custom parts all over, billet hinges, MR2 shifter, STI oil pan system, side mount IC you get the picture! Between back orders, errors in the frame and other parts, engines going boom, etc. I have resigned myself to building it as I want. WGARA how long it takes, my stable is full of fun cars and I'm autocrossing a shifter kart. How does life get any better for someone who was told he had an incurable disease with no treatments in 1991!

Between effective treatments (over a dozen disease modifying drugs now, no cure) exercise, continued PT etc my life is great and I'm very capable albeit slow!

Question, what is a budget?
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 06-19-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dan, I've come to the realization myself in the last couple weeks that I just need to continue to build the way I want without firm timeline (or budget).
    So far I have been on track with my desire to get it on the road for shakedown this summer. And if I really wanted to..... I could.

However, its not going to happen. I am taking time to do the body right, I am re-doing the shifter, re-doing the intercooler, and I've been out of town at our cabin for 4 out of the last 7 weekends, and watching baseball tournaments for another 2.
    It will get done when its done. As I said in another post..... I am having fun and enjoying the process.
    Question #2, what is a schedule?

Thanks for posting your progress, it helps us all.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I get ideas from so many threads, its dangerous! I ripped out my hand made front hinges and modified trunk hinges to use Craig's. I just ordered some Godspeed trailing arms as those stupid stamped arms were Fugly compared to everything else! I'm setup with stock seats and wheels but I've been shopping online
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, I'm glad to read that you are having fun because from what you've been through with body parts - the car's and your own - you deserve fun times. I totally agree with NO BUDGET and NO SCHEDULE. Friends keep asking when my 818 will be on the road and I keep saying, "I really have no idea and if I give you any date it will be a deadline so I'll give no estimates." I enjoy the build process too much to add time or money constraints! I've gladly remade the console three times now.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I get ideas from so many threads, its dangerous! I ripped out my hand made front hinges and modified trunk hinges to use Craig's. I just ordered some Godspeed trailing arms as those stupid stamped arms were Fugly compared to everything else! I'm setup with stock seats and wheels but I've been shopping online
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Dan, I'm glad to read that you are having fun because from what you've been through with body parts - the car's and your own - you deserve fun times. I totally agree with NO BUDGET and NO SCHEDULE. Friends keep asking when my 818 will be on the road and I keep saying, "I really have no idea and if I give you any date it will be a deadline so I'll give no estimates." I enjoy the build process too much to add time or money constraints! I've gladly remade the console three times now.
    Dan and Pete,
    I'm right there with you.
    My son is continually pushing me to work on the car.
    The best part of the project.
    Spending wrench time with Michael, PRICELESS
    Passing my knowledge to Michael, PRICELESS
    Working together developing innovations for the car with Michael. PRICELESS
    Getting my a** kicked on autocross Sundays. DEPRESSING
    Car will cost 50% more than first planned. Worth every penny.
    Car has taken twice as long as anticipated, Worth every minute.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Been busy working on rotating the turbo to clean up the AAIC plumbing etc... Thanks to Craig for his approx 135 degree bracket for the wastegate

P1120635.JPG P1120634.JPG P1120636.JPG P1120637.JPG P1120638.JPG

Now I just need a 45 degree reducer to go from the 1.75 turbo outlet to a section of my 2.5 IC aluminum tubing. The route and clearances are much better. I'm also fabricating a clamp to reinforce the clocking bracket from Craig. It will go from the clocking bracket to the rectangular boss on the cold side of the turbo that is now on the top. (photo #2 above, you can see the screw hole Craig provided for the clamp)

I've given Craig dimensions to do his magic on a intercooler bracket in my location so if you want a kit from him all it takes is market demand. When I add a side scoop the AAIC solution should be a simpler, lower cost alternative to add to the AWIC solution.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan and Pete,

Bob
    This is why I have purchased the coupe. I like the look and my kids are at an age that we can build a car and build memories together. thanks for confirming my hope for this car!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan and Pete,

Bob
    I love this and can relate in so many ways.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Been busy working on rotating the turbo to clean up the AAIC plumbing etc... Thanks to Craig for his approx 135 degree bracket for the wastegate

P1120635.JPG P1120634.JPG P1120636.JPG P1120637.JPG P1120638.JPG

Now I just need a 45 degree reducer to go from the 1.75 turbo outlet to a section of my 2.5 IC aluminum tubing. The route and clearances are much better. I'm also fabricating a clamp to reinforce the clocking bracket from Craig. It will go from the clocking bracket to the rectangular boss on the cold side of the turbo that is now on the top. (photo #2 above, you can see the screw hole Craig provided for the clamp)

I've given Craig dimensions to do his magic on a intercooler bracket in my location so if you want a kit from him all it takes is market demand. When I add a side scoop the AAIC solution should be a simpler, lower cost alternative to add to the AWIC solution.
    This looks great, Dan! Really clean.
    Tamra
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coated my new hinges from Zero DB Motorsports today... They look AWESOME Craig! Thought I would include a photo of the oven door mod that My friend Mark and I made up to do larger parts too! Pull the door up and off and install this insulated aluminum bad boy. I've done my 17 inch CBR wheels and a set of 16 inch WRX wheels in a std. electric oven using this mod

Oven Door Back.jpg Hinge PC.jpg Oven door.jpg

And yes the inside of that "new" extended door is the oven's drawer!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed my Godspeed trailing arms this morning. I measured the center to center distance of the stock arms at 20 3/8 inches, however my installed arms appear to have much more exposed threads than others that I've seen installed. Are people using these to adjust wheelbase to match up with the body?

P1120649.JPG P1120648.JPG P1120647.JPG

After blowing my wallet wide open on the new shortblock and engine rebuild I just couldn't leave those ugly old stamped arms on my car!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,
    I set my ebay trailing arms the same length as my forester oem arms. Here is a picture.

arm.jpg

I just changed back to the OEM arms as they have a little more tire clearance.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Your extension appears to be the same as mine... Running stock wheels with 1.5 inch spacers I don't have tire issues!

YET! Looking for wheels and tires, I'd like to do 17's front and rear tho and it is difficult to get the correct wheel/tire combo
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hinges in place for body re install next week. Autocrossing the DD2 tomorrow...

P1120650.JPG

Note with my rare narrow nose the hood to hinge brackets are flipped. I'm hoping the swing will be just that wee bit more with Craigs hinges so that I can mount my grill to the bottom of the hood opening

My RAL 2008 Bright Red Orange powder coat will really pop vs. the white body and the CF extras
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 07-12-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    How'd the autox go? The orange looks great
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dan,
    I have the godspeed trailing links as well with about the same extension as you.
    I adjusted my length to match the wheel in the center of the wheelwell.
    Didn't look right with the stock length.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    Hi Dan,
    I have the godspeed trailing links as well with about the same extension as you.
    I adjusted my length to match the wheel in the center of the wheelwell.
    Didn't look right with the stock length.
    My rear wheels are centered with stock length trailing arms. But, my body is 1/2" back further than FFR design.
    Bob
    P1050475s.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    How'd the autox go? The orange looks great
    Didn't feel well, went back to bed! Was very hot and humid here and my MS doesn't take to such conditions well... a bit cooler today, back to the 818

Harley, mine are extended that far to match the 20 3/8 length of my stock 05 WRX stamped arms...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    My frozen boost parts showed up today so I was able to finalize the IC piping. Clocking the turbo 135 works very well with a side mount AAIC

P1120651.JPG P1120652.JPG

Restart with all the new engine parts later tonight???
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil leak, turbo area, going to pull it apart this AM...
    Dan

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast