FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fitting into a MK4 roadster. Hoping there are suggestions out there

Post Thanks / Like

Fitting into a MK4 roadster. Hoping there are suggestions out there

This is my first time to the forum, but certainly not my last. I've always dreamed of building a Cobra and was planning on pulling the trigger next fall and buying a kit. I've never built a car before, but consider myself very handy and resourceful (I'm sure you've heard that one before). I'm determined to do this and know it will take a while. I've been building my tool collection and have been researching it for a couple of years.
    My wife has given me the green light, so the biggest hurdle is out of the way.

My first question is: Am I crazy to do this???? I plan on going to Michigan next year for the build school as a starter.

My second question/dilemma: I'm 6'4". I sat in a MK4 roadster and realized I may have a big problem with my dream car, me!! My legs are too long. I could barely get my left foot off the clutch because my knee kept hitting the dashboard. The seat was all the way back, so there's no relief there. A friend of mine told me an operation to cut off a couple of inches on both legs would be too expensive, but never say never. I am determined to do this.

Any and all advice is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure others will chime in, but there are a couple of threads here and the other forum with mods to fit the big and tall. Biggest thing is the seats. Standard seats are not your friend. Kirkby, high or low back, help a lot. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam and fit fine in my partially built car and in couple of friends' cars that have the Kirkey seats. Also, removable steering wheel helps. Couple of other mods will make it easier to fit.

Just be glad you weren't thinking about building the coupe

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean about not fitting in your dream car. I had a great deal on an XKE convert. when I was younger but could not work the pedals and sit straight in car. The difference with the roadster is you have so many little tricks to make it work, even a "big and tall shop" guy can fit in one. There are mild mods and more extreme ones depending on how you are shaped. You should do fine. Don't worry about that. You should worry about spending all your money! That's the real problem. We love to help.

Good luck,

WEK
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five is now selling seats for big and tall guys.

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/blac...l-guy-version/

I personally don't have experience (way average 5'10" myself) or know details, but see them mentioned on the forum. Something to check out. There are other options to gain a bit here and there in the footbox, raising the steering column, removable steering wheel (as mentioned), etc. No matter what it's going to be tight. Is for us average guys. But based on other's experience, doable IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where you are located but You should go sit in FFR's gray and Yellow car. It has big and tall seats and a couple other big and tall modifications as well.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Not sure where you are located but You should go sit in FFR's gray and Yellow car. It has big and tall seats and a couple other big and tall modifications as well.
    I agree. I'm 6'4" as well and sat in their grey & yellow roadster at the Bass Pro car show in Foxboro quite comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Youngsie - We're in a similar position, but I'm not as tall as you. I, too, asked the "am I crazy" question, and the answer was a resounding "NO". In fact, I can't wait to get started... Maybe I'll see you at build school. The advice I got on the cockpit was "don't wear big shoes" (e.g. sneakers, boots, etc.). I'm 6'0" and I'll go with the big and tall seats. There may not be as much room in the cockpit as we would all like, but that's a small price to pay!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'4" 215lbs and sat in a MKIV w/ a 302-based engine and a new Coyote 5.0L. The engine choice seems to make a pretty significant difference. I just ordered my kit and I made sure to get the Big + Tall seats. The most cramped part of the Roadster though probably affects short guys too ... that massive transmission tunnel!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm 6'5 1/2" tall, ahem, "robust" (300+), and have size 16 shoes.

Here's my basic rundown of mods I did.

• I have 17" Kirkey racing seats mounted to a bracket with a slight forward tilt which adds ~2" of legroom and lowers the seat 2".
    • I raised the steering column with a few washers under the dash pillow block
    • Removable steering wheel. (not really needed; I never take it off to get in and out of the car)
    • Wilwood adjustable pedals. I sawed ~1/2" off the pedal master cylinder plungers which gives me another 2" of legroom
    • Russ Thompson gas pedal, set up so it bottoms out against the front of the footbox at full throttle. at least 2" gained there so it's in good alignment with the brake and clutch pedals
    • I cut out the crash bar in the driver's footbox. In a MKIV this is not required as they tightened the radius of the bends in that box significantly. I'm not cutting the bar in the MKIV I'm currently building...
    • Not mandatory, but a hardened T5 with a S-10 tailhousing or a TKO600 with mid shift puts the shifter in a vertical orientation right in front of the dash. LOVE it there!

For the Kirkeys, I've heard the 18" fit, and If I did it again I'd probably go for those. As it is, I widened the 17's with a bottle jack and a little heat.

I know these cars are really small, but with a few basic mods us big boys can wear these cars like a glove:

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I sat in Dave's roadster at the Huntington beach show a few years back. I was also on the fence about fitting in one (6'4 260 and 38 inseam). After sitting in Dave's, I was convinced that it could be done. Bottom line is you can make it work but it's going to take some mods. I ended up with an automatic as working the clutch with my long legs wasn't going to be feasible. Otherwise, Dave is spot on with the mods you'll need. The seats and seat positioning really do make all the difference.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I'm feeling better about this after hearing what you've done. I was at FFR 2 summers ago and they had mentioned a name when i had said it may be tight fitting into one (they didn't have a MKIV on the floor so I sat in a III and it was very tight in the footbox). They mentioned your name at the time and to talk to you. Appreciate your feedback, as well as everyone elses.
    Being a rookie to the forum, any navigation tips or suggestions for a newbie that still hasn't made the purchase yet? I've been assembling my tools a little at a time, but is there a suggested tool list? I live in Columbus Ohio, is there an area on the forum to find Ohio cobra owners/builders?
    Thanks again for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife thinks I'm crazy for doing this, but I'm going to make it happen. I'm hoping next fall when my daughter goes to college and I have room in the garage. When are you planning on starting?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'5". Femurs are really long. I don't drive with shoes, buckle in before I close the door and have to look over the top of the windshield. None of that bugs me at all. Like sitting in a really fast shoe!

I share the car with another much smaller guy so we are limited with mods and have to have a seat track. If it was just me, I could make it fit much better, but it really is just fine in stock form!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave, thanks for the ideas. I have just purchased an MK3 and will pick up in a month or so when the weather warms some. I was researching possible mods to the car and came across your post. I am 6'4", 240 lb with size 14 feet so I was very interested in your post. I have been researching removable steering wheels on line and most require welding the hub to the steering column. Are there any out there that do not require welding? Thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip44 View Post
    .../ I have been researching removable steering wheels on line and most require welding the hub to the steering column. Are there any out there that do not require welding? /...
    Not that I'm aware of. At the end of the steering shaft the last 1" is tapered. First you cut that off and then have someone weld the new tip on and you're done:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave, appreciate your reply.