Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting the 818 Sub forums organized with stickys

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the 818 Sub forums organized with stickys

First of all I wanted to say the mods are doing a great job keeping the forums on topic, full of information and helping the form progress through the years. Without you guys this would be 4chan chaos. While I'm probably one of the newer members here, I am not new to forums. I have been an active member on newtiburon.com as well as the culture over at thesamba.com under the same name, to name a couple sites. Somethings I really enjoyed from those forums, I don't see here and I've figured out why. We have a huge presence of build threads, which are awesome! It's what we do. We don't modify small items here and there, we build. There is so much I learn from build threads that I pretty much exclusively check out that and use the search function to answer very specific questions. Everything from "how did he route that" to "man what's this exhaust going to sound like!" The picture and videos have helped me so much. Everything is just so well documented that these build threads become 10 or sometimes 20+ pages. While awesome, they become a lot to page through. Yes there is a search function, and yes I use it. But that's not what should always be necessary. Not all FFR sub forums are lucky enough to contain the internal sub forums on electrical, steering and such and I think we should start utilizing them to their full potential! We need more "stickied topics" on how you created a great result to common problems that most of us have.

While I'm not advocating stickies left and right, I am proposing that we cover super common issues such as the ones I had trouble on starting out:
    Power steering-Part numbers use, lengths used, routing methods, how to keep it safe with such a high PSI system. Do I have to use a banjo bolt?
    Seats-Reviews of fitment, comfort, height to roof/roll-bar, your body measurements for people to compare to(if you would like to share)
    Tire's/Rims- Known to fit 818's, road noise, grip, 818 members reviews
    AWIC- Becoming a popular alternative to the cooling issues members have been experiencing. What parts and routing? Costs?
    Electrical-Whats this connector? Well, here is a huge page of images and a short description of the connector!

These seem to be some of the popular ones that newer builders get overwhelmed with but don't have a definitive thread to cover it. These threads become more of resources rather then discussions and comments threads. There considered "definitive posts" and are meant to be easy to view and contain multiple "reviews", "solutions" or "how to's" of information condensed down in one place that people tend to agree on.

Do you guys agree with me, an I over stepping with my oppinion, let me know?! I will most certainly help out and start us off with threads that I know answer to now. Over time we can get experienced members to chime in and expand periodically here and there. These threads remain at the top and are easy to view. Maybe new products come out that replace others at a cheaper cost, more efficient set up or are just better. These posts would get updated! Knowledge is power. And easy to view knowledge saves us all money, headaches, and most importantly researching time and safety. If a moderator wants to contact me for ideas, clarification, examples on other forums I'm all for it. Let me know.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure that stickys are the way to go - but I couldn't agree more that the 818 forum is only a fraction as helpful as it could be.

As you said, the problem lies in that everyone is documenting their problems and solutions in build threads, which for all intents and purposes are unsearchable.

Just about any search comes up with 14 build threads, 2 topics that isn't related, and 5 people who have had a similar issue on their roadster/GTM build, and very few solutions.

Also, like any other forum, there are still a few threads with no solution. So there's either a pile of 818 kits laying in garages because the owner couldn't figure out [insert simple question about generic automobile maintenance] or they're finding solutions and never finishing the thread because it's no longer their problem and they don't care about future builds.

Also a way to filter only 818 threads would be great. The advanced search looks like it should be able to do this, but the only options for filters are related to roadsters and USC289 threads.
    Last edited by phil1734; 07-11-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the topic of issues during builds. Maybe have a way to mark threads as still needing help or as resolved would be helpful.
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    Not sure that stickys are the way to go - but I couldn't agree more that the 818 forum is only a fraction as helpful as it could be.

As you said, the problem lies in that everyone is documenting their problems and solutions in build threads, which for all intents and purposes are unsearchable.

Just about any search comes up with 14 build threads, 2 topics that isn't related, and 5 people who have had a similar issue on their roadster/GTM build, and very few solutions.

Also, like any other forum, there are still a few threads with no solution. So there's either a pile of 818 kits laying in garages because the owner couldn't figure out [insert simple question about generic automobile maintenance] or they're finding solutions and never finishing the thread because it's no longer their problem and they don't care about future builds.

Also a way to filter only 818 threads would be great. The advanced search looks like it should be able to do this, but the only options for filters are related to roadsters and USC289 threads.
    Thanks for the reply, when you searching under "search single content type you can hold the ctrl button on you keyboard and click on subs you want to view in results. On an Ipad its just a single click on what you want to view only(a checkmark appears next to subs to search.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EODTech87 View Post
    On the topic of issues during builds. Maybe have a way to mark threads as still needing help or as resolved would be helpful.
    This is a great idea. I believe Ive seen this before on another forum. Do we have the option to implement it with our system and how much difficulty would this take? I really can't see to many draw backs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had fairly good results with using google to do the searching. In the search field, type "site:thefactoryfiveforum.com XXXXXX," where XXXXXX is whatever you want to search for, I usually type 818 and some other key words. But otherwise, I read about 90% of the 818 material that gets posted and keep notes on many things I've learned over the past 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This thread gives me a great opportunity to talk about a little used part of the site that is set up just for this type of situation. When I first set up the forum I had to find a way to work with the built in publishing system. What I did was create an generic "Section", which is used to publish articles to the front page. But I also created a Section for each car. They are listed at the top of the main page, just beneath the man navigation button bar.

Here the the link to the 818 Section:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/content.php?253-818

This page lists all of the recent threads for the 818, across all sub forums. It also has 2 additional widgets, which is where I implemented the my solution to the "stickies" idea mentioned forth by carrara1984. One is an "Articles" list, which are all the posts that have been promoted to articles. This part is important. Articles fall into one or more "Categories". In addition to setting the Article to the 818 Section (Usually these are FFR "news" articles covering the 818) I can also place it in one or more Categories. I created Categories for each model and put them in their own widget, which I call a "Build Wiki". The 818 Build Wiki shows all the Categories that have been created and has a link to all of the articles in that category. (I called it a "Wiki" because the info in it was meant to be populated by the user community)

OK. So say for example Bob_n_Cincy writes a post called "Bob_n_Cincy Head Light install procedure". It's a thread with headlight mounting details. That thread can then be promoted to an article under the category "818 - Body/Exterior Trim" as well as "Electrical / Fuel System". Doing this does several things.
    • It will now be visible in the "Articles" widget on the 818 page
    • It will also appear in the "818 - Body/Trim" and "Electrical / Fuel System" sections of the Wiki.
    • The Article will have it's own thread, so you can comment on the Article.

So over time, we can take the really useful posts - from any thread - and create a "best-of" section for each Factory Five model that is filled with categorized tips and tricks that can be looked at without having to read through all of the sometimes massive build threads.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It is interesting that this same topic was discussed in this forum way back in time. You would see posts asking for links back to the build thread where something was covered. Taking the hint, I created a pile of word documents from the build manuals found on line. The updates replaced the older information with notes if needed to indicate new vs old part. On top of this I added the additional information from the build threads. For example, there is a clearance issue between the drivers side lower control arm and the fire wall. The updated method is to deform the aluminum to create more room. The alternative in the build threads is to find a flat cap and make an opening. Another example is a panel in front of the door. The official method is to rivet the panel. An alternative in a build thread is to use RivNuts to make the panel removable, so that the door can be removed by the hinges. My point is that the posts should work with the build instructions. IMO The instructions should be broken up into sections and links to threads about that step added. Each car is different and can be chronicled in its thread and at the same time have a natural place to add links for the latest available build guide showing old and new.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the usefulness of being able to promote things and have articles for the front page for ascetics/visitors/traffic/etc. IMO I'm not sure how useful multi category things are for problem/solution threads and the way we are currently able to view it. The build section seems to be more of a promotion article area cluttered with too much info as seen below. It's hard to read a detailed post with tons of writing and pictures in less then 1/2 of the screen. I'm assuming it would be hard to change the margins?

For example The Transmission Thread 2.0

Here's it scrolling through

Here is the same post that I had to search for to find it in a normal view, there is no link from what I can see, to view it normal style.

Normal Post Viewing/Stickied Thread

IMO, I think as with a lot of things we should keep it simple and use the stickies as a lot of forums do and promote them to articles as Moderators see fit for the site. If a few people feel its important topic, mods can throw it up there and see how it does as a sticky. Maybe in each category we have 5 or so stickies max. When it gets to be too much thoes less important stickies turn into one sticky with links such as a FAQ Sticky.

I just bring this up because I'm constantly having to search like crazy for 20 minutes to find any information on my topic which eventually is found buried in a build form page that im clicking through, hitting "ctrl F" to quickly bring me to where my keyword is on a page. Using the Search function always yields the best results in the builds.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    use the search thread option on the top right. it will search the whole thread rather than going one page at a time with ctrl f.

I usually skip the main page and start my day with

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...ctory-Five-818
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 07-12-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    use the search thread option on the top right. it will search the whole thread rather than going one page at a time with ctrl f.

I usually skip the main page and start my day with

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...ctory-Five-818
    Ah, very nice! Something I overlooked. Thanks for your help. For some reason I only thought we had that main search above it to the right and somewhere in their would be the setting. Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I still think It would be nice if we could stickie topics more often though.