continued...

Good buddy and Fedderson award winner Frankeeski made a full roll bar (with built-in harness bar) for me a few years ago but I had never installed it. I took it to a good metal prep guy Frank suggested and this is what it looks like now:

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I never installed the pins on my rollbar(s). I took the time this weekend to drill out the pin mounting holes for both roll bars. Here's a shot of the pilot holes going in:

And here is a shot of the pins. The metal looks to be stage 5 steel. They are 5/16" I believe...

Those holes were tough to drill out! I think a new set of bits is in order...

While working on the details of the refresh, there have been a few times where I took one step forward and two steps back...

I was drilling out the holes for the seat belt harness bezels that go on the back cubby wall when disaster struck not once, but twice. I managed to pull a thread that is visible on the rear cockpit wall, and now I have to replace the carpet on the whole upper half of the rear cockpit wall. And then, somehow I ended up leaning against the dash glovebox pretty hard and the JB-Weld that was holding on the hinges gave way! In order to fix the glove box, the whole dash needed to be removed. Grrr. I hit both sides with a flapper wheel and then reset the door:

One really good byproduct of removing the dash was that I got to fix an issue with the bezel that goes around the 5 gauges. It is the first piece of metal I ever engine turned. After I had turned it and tested coating it in sharkhide, I got the idea to make a bezel out of it. Well, when I drilled the holes for the gauges with a hole saw I ran the drill too fast and the metal heated up, causing the sharkhide to bubble and discolor. I was able to easily remove the sharkhide with Acetone and re-apply it so that the bezel looks brand new again. I'll get a better shot soon, but the car was on the lift all weekend so this is all I have for now:

I also took the opportunity to wire up the 3rd brake lite, which is a feature of the new rollbar. In this shot you can see the new harness at the top of the wheel well. I have it plugged with a silicone-filled weather pack connector, like the one that will be hanging off the new rollbar. The silicone-filled piece will function as a "cap" when not in use:

continued...