Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 818 Project Updates From Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gotta figure out how to get there cheap and early! Any chance Jim "Twitchy" Schenck will be there?

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

We're going to try and also do a web broadcast on Saturday morning from 9-9:30 (if Dave doesn't talk too much). I'll have more information on where to watch the web broadcast as I finish setting up the event on USTREAM posted tomorrow or Friday. I'll also try to do a test broadcast at 4 PM on Friday, EST...more coming shortly.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing, a live but closed, invite-only and secure webcast with a NDA (non disclosure agreement) would rock. I'm well too far away to attend but I really want to participate.

**edit, apparently I wrote this right when Mad Dog said they'd do a web broadcast. They are too quick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dangit. I'm camping and away from technology Saturday am.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, so here's the plan. We will do a small quasi-open house event for this Saturday morning where we will unveil the 4 scale models, garner feedback on the shapes, and talk in specific terms about the steps ahead towards production. I'll try to be as specific as possible, but this project has been like clockwork and I dont want to stop that excellent trend. I will present to anyone interested the status update, show the scale models (even if #4 is still tacky from wet paint!), and spend a few hours LISTENING to ideas and opinions on model, launch sequence, etc. Mad Dog will do a web broadcast for you guys who are not here. I'll have Mad Dog post specific times and web links tomorrow and we may do a practice broadcast on Friday at 4pm on the KONI GTM that will be at SEMA also.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be checking the webcast out!

Thanks Dave!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. I'm stoked. I'm still going to shop for a plane ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant wait, that sounds great. So would you be starting this at 9am Saturday?

I just want to work my schedule around this its very exciting and do not want to miss it!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too coo too cool too cool!!!!!!! this sat webcast right?!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to be there but I can't put travel plans together that quickly. I'm in for the webcast, though. Excited!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This sounds awesome. What time zone are you guys in? I'm in CA so that broadcast might at 6AM. I will still wake up for it.

Also, I def think you should go with the road softtop (the 10,000$ one right?) That is a magic price point and would garner huge press. FFR would reach an entirely new type of market with such a car.
    Last edited by shinn497; 10-19-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    ... What do you say we pull the wraps off the models here at FFR before SEMA and post full pics here of the cars... not trying to do any big press releases, just show the community and core people where the cars are and maybe go into more detail on first model launch, specifics about running gear and maybe some updates on the chassis, brakes, suspension, etc? Any takers for a small presentation/update here at FFR maybe this saturday morning?
    Dave,

I think thats an outstanding way to thank the communities that have spent so much time following the 818 and helping to move the project forward.

Really looking forward to seeing the designs!

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the webcast.

Thoughts on launch sequence, don't do the mgp car first. It won't take much to sour that crowd if there are any glitches in the launch. Once that momentum is lost, very difficult to get it back. Once there is already a successfully launched 818, introducing an mpg version will go much better. If there are any glitches at that point, its easier to point to working WRX based version to show that mpg car will work.

The mpg version has to launch well to gather momentum outside the car-guy world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Shinn,

We're in the EST time zone so you left coasters will have to be up at 0600.

Henry

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you have to have a special app on your computer to join the webcast? Or is it something that can be downloaded at the time? Don't want to miss it. Thanks, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    anxiously awaiting a link to the webcast!!!!!!!
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Boy!!! Finally a webcast worth watching. Be ready MadDog, your server might crash if too many people hear of this. I am stoked about seeing this unveil. My grandson Nick was just sitting here telling me that we need to start another project. He absolutely loved the build and he was only 3 when we started. He is now 7 1/2 and I guess he thinks that it will take him 10 years to get this one together. ha ha Can't wait until Saturday!!
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    It's too bad you can't hit the ground running with two cars at the same time. It would blow people's minds to drop the race version and the eco version simultaneously to display the range you're capable of. But it's better to launch one complete product than two 90% products.

Which one to launch first might depend on what bodies are chosen for each. I'd probably want my favorite launched first (hoping that it is one of the Subaru-powered ones). That said, it might be best to launch with the roadster. It would be a solid product with the widest customer base. Additionally, it would hint at the capabilities of the more extreme versions that are in the pipe. The light weight would make even a base WRX build very quick, and very efficient.

And not to be negative, more like realistic, the first one will need tweaks. Which one do you want to live through the growing pains with? The base roadster might be the best choice for that because it isn't so specialized. If it's a suspension/handling tweak, that would matter more for the racer. And if it's an aero/efficiency tweak, that would matter more to the eco car. But neither would be a deal breaker for the roadster.

As awesome as it would be to come out swinging with something shocking, from what I've read it seems like the 818 has a greater purpose and a long road ahead of it. So putting a conservative foot forward at the outset might not be too bad of an idea. You can always doll up the roadster with go-fast bits, or swap in a N/A engine to be more efficient and say "If we can get these results from the base model, just imagine what we'll achieve with the specialized versions!"

Can't wait for the sneak peek. Will recordings of the webcast be available? I have to work from 9am-on. Otherwise I'll just content myself with the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn! I wish I could make this, but $2k for a plane ticket is not gonna cut it. Diffenetly will wake upp at 4am (Hawaii time) and watch the web cast.

On a side note, I was up the other morning at 2:30am trying to figure out what it wouls take to put an ecoboost in one of these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    6am PST? That's a little too early for me. Is it possible to record the webcast so that we can watch it later? So the roadster will have a soft top? Will there be a hard top option? I think the $10,000 car would be great to start with too. Personally, cause this will be my first kit car and if all goes well, I might buy another version of the 818 as well. Nice to try out the cheapest one first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another excited party interested in a link to the live webcast...
    400WTQ WRX engine waiting for a new home...

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave this is fantastic. Your desire to keep in touch with your base is what makes Factory Five the company it is. Looking forward to at least the web-cast if I can't make the trip (working on that now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
    It's too bad you can't hit the ground running with two cars at the same time. It would blow people's minds to drop the race version and the eco version simultaneously to display the range you're capable of. But it's better to launch one complete product than two 90% products.

Which one to launch first might depend on what bodies are chosen for each. I'd probably want my favorite launched first (hoping that it is one of the Subaru-powered ones). That said, it might be best to launch with the roadster. It would be a solid product with the widest customer base. Additionally, it would hint at the capabilities of the more extreme versions that are in the pipe. The light weight would make even a base WRX build very quick, and very efficient.

And not to be negative, more like realistic, the first one will need tweaks. Which one do you want to live through the growing pains with? The base roadster might be the best choice for that because it isn't so specialized. If it's a suspension/handling tweak, that would matter more for the racer. And if it's an aero/efficiency tweak, that would matter more to the eco car. But neither would be a deal breaker for the roadster.

As awesome as it would be to come out swinging with something shocking, from what I've read it seems like the 818 has a greater purpose and a long road ahead of it. So putting a conservative foot forward at the outset might not be too bad of an idea. You can always doll up the roadster with go-fast bits, or swap in a N/A engine to be more efficient and say "If we can get these results from the base model, just imagine what we'll achieve with the specialized versions!"

Can't wait for the sneak peek. Will recordings of the webcast be available? I have to work from 9am-on. Otherwise I'll just content myself with the pictures.

One of the best thought-out responses to the "Which car first" question.

Not being a racer myself, I have the feeling that racers would be most at home with growing pains. Many of the vehicles on a track are one-of's; and an experienced racer is uniquely qualified to identify issues, in comparison to the home hobbyist who has never driven any vehicle remotely similar.

My inclination would be to introduce the track version to get the "WOW! WTFisthatImusthaveone!!" response, and then dangle the eco- version so they can justify the imminent purchase in their minds. It could be noted that even the track version is likely to get MPG in the high 40's when driven like a street vehicle, and hint at what it could be possible with alternative drive trains.

Just my $0.02

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    The event officially starts at 9 AM EST this Saturday. We're going to set-up the event on USTREAM and will embed the video player on Factory Five's website and will also try to have it embedded here on the forum as well.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mad Dog, will we have a trial run? I have used USTREAM only once, and it took some time to figure out how.

Thanks.

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a trial run just filming around the office and showroom. Dan and Sally counted and there's about an 8 second delay which in my opinion, isn't all that bad considering we'll be broadcasting from a smartphone (iPhone). We're planning a test run with a preview of the Koni GTM that Gary Cheney built tomorrow at 4 PM EST.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    One of the best thought-out responses to the "Which car first" question.

Not being a racer myself, I have the feeling that racers would be most at home with growing pains. Many of the vehicles on a track are one-of's; and an experienced racer is uniquely qualified to identify issues, in comparison to the home hobbyist who has never driven any vehicle remotely similar.

My inclination would be to introduce the track version to get the "WOW! WTFisthatImusthaveone!!" response, and then dangle the eco- version so they can justify the imminent purchase in their minds. It could be noted that even the track version is likely to get MPG in the high 40's when driven like a street vehicle, and hint at what it could be possible with alternative drive trains.

Just my $0.02
    I concur with what Bromikl and Draco-REX have posted.
    I think one of the main draws for this car will also be the price point, so getting the least expensive build out there first would be a good idea.
    I've been watching used WRX prices like a hawk and from I can tell, if you sell off the unused bits and the body of the donor it practically pays for itself.
    This car will pull in a whole new market segment of younger buyers because of the price point and because frankly there are alot of people who don't want a big honken 'Murican V8 and would rather have a turbo 4.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I just did a trial run just filming around the office and showroom. Dan and Sally counted and there's about an 8 second delay which in my opinion, isn't all that bad considering we'll be broadcasting from a smartphone (iPhone). We're planning a test run with a preview of the Koni GTM that Gary Cheney built tomorrow at 4 PM EST.
    Your test run worked great. I just happen to check out the Ustream site and typed in Factory Five. There you were!
    Build photos at: http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/...Daytona_Coupe/
    Coupe #510 ordered 10/28/2010 - Picked up 12/17/10 FIRST of the Generation 2
    Roller 02/22/11
    IRS, All aluminum Forte 408W with Weber stacks

Mark III, 514, TKO 600, IRS - SOLD

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's funny you saw that Georgia Coupe! We'll be hosting another one tomorrow to double check. We just set-up my MacBook Pro connecting it to the TV in the showroom for a slideshow during the presentation Saturday as well.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

PROS and CONS

High MPG car: FFR seemed to get some good press from those high school kids and the race, so coming out with another in the same vein could build your reputation.
    Racer: Seems like this one would be easier to start with since there would be fewer variables to deal with. Fewest headaches.
    Roadster: This is more likely to generate more orders and community interest.

So really the question you want to ask yourself Dave is would you rather have FAME (high MPG car), FORTUNE (roadster), or HAPPINESS (Racer)?

...actually kind of a deep question for online car forum, but you get the idea
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_FFR View Post
    PROS and CONS

High MPG car: FFR seemed to get some good press from those high school kids and the race, so coming out with another in the same vein could build your reputation.
    Racer: Seems like this one would be easier to start with since there would be fewer variables to deal with. Fewest headaches.
    Roadster: This is more likely to generate more orders and community interest.

So really the question you want to ask yourself Dave is would you rather have FAME (high MPG car), FORTUNE (roadster), or HAPPINESS (Racer)?

...actually kind of a deep question for online car forum, but you get the idea
    I think the smart move is:
    1) FORTUNE: Generates the $$ to fund the rest
    2)FAME: Also adds interest and $$$ from new part of the market
    3) Happiness: Then you build what you really want!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I think the smart move is:
    1) FORTUNE: Generates the $$ to fund the rest
    2)FAME: Also adds interest and $$$ from new part of the market
    3) Happiness: Then you build what you really want!
    Need to add in a fourth category -- SATISFACTION -- and assign it to the Tqrga-Top Coupe. Don't care about the order of release, as long as we don't have to wait too long for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's always so difficult to please everybody. But coming out with these different varieties of the 818 is a pretty good way to please nearly everybody.

Have you guys officially come up with a name(s)? Is it still going to be announced at SEMA?

Steve
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    It's always so difficult to please everybody. But coming out with these different varieties of the 818 is a pretty good way to please nearly everybody.

Steve
    True

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It looks like we will be all green for Saturday here at 9am. I am going to post an invite on our site, but I'd rather keep it within our community. The webcast should go well, we will practice on Friday night (tomorrow) at 4pm with a short intro to the KONI-sponsored GTM that will be headed to SEMA. I asked Mad Dog to TRY and get open questions on the web broadcast so that anyone who isnt here can perhaps post questions that I may answer.

Dave Borden: You were at the customer dinner last year and voted for the subie project! I hope you like where we are going as we enter production after selecting a body! I am planning on attending the customer dinner this year at the Nascar cafe again and will be happy to tip my hand a bit more on the year ahead!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As far as models to launch, the choices are the affordable roadster, the race version and the hyper mpg model. I am inclined to put the hyper-mpg car behind the other two since I feel the designs we have to now were more focused on the first two with maybe a coupe variant... Also Ive learned the talent in the community could do a better job on a focused design with low front area, low drag, coupe/removable ht if we did another design contest that was SUPEr tight defined for just that car. Still, let's use Saturday and the days following to make that call and keep all options open. Im dying to spill beans cause we've already had so much corp partners want to be a part of the new car from brakes, shocks, design, testing, beta shops (3-6 cars), and even broadcast on the development and launch of the car.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

So the USTREAM app for the iPhone seems to be working quite well and I seem to have everything figured out. We'll have the video embedded on Factory Five's website (link to that page coming shortly) and again, I'll see about posting the video here on the forum as well. You can always watch the video right on USTREAM here and that's the place to go if you wish to ask a question on Saturday morning. Tomorrow's video won't necessarily have a Q&A portion. It's just more a test run for us to make sure everything is indeed working.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    As far as models to launch, the choices are the affordable roadster, the race version and the hyper mpg model. I am inclined to put the hyper-mpg car behind the other two since I feel the designs we have to now were more focused on the first two with maybe a coupe variant... Also Ive learned the talent in the community could do a better job on a focused design with low front area, low drag, coupe/removable ht if we did another design contest that was SUPEr tight defined for just that car. Still, let's use Saturday and the days following to make that call and keep all options open. Im dying to spill beans cause we've already had so much corp partners want to be a part of the new car from brakes, shocks, design, testing, beta shops (3-6 cars), and even broadcast on the development and launch of the car.
    For me I would like to see the track or roadster version first. Which one out of those 2 depends. I personally want a car that can be driven on the street, but kick *** on the track too. With that being said, is the track version going to be street legal? Will it be based off of the roadster, but with track goodies (ie aero, suspension, brakes, etc.), or will it be a completely different design all together? I would suggest to release the version that will appeal to the majority of your customersa dn in my mind that would probably be the base roadster, shortly followed by the track version. Or if possible, launch them together. Can't wait for saturday!

Post Thanks / Like
    These are my thoughts:

Go with the street going roadster first. Here is why:
    I am 31 and I am personally looking at this to be my first kit-car and would love something that is affordable, cool, fast and comfy for general road going. But being that I have a drug withdrawal from racing (motorcycles) I would love to be able to take this to an AutoX or track day. So I want a hefty helping of sensible street use with a delicious side of racing.

The track version is going to be either for folks that want/can afford to have a dedicated track car... or have delusions of driving a race car comfortably on the street. Ever see the Euro-tour episode on Top gear when Capt. Slow selects an Aston Martin racer? He ends up sweating up a storm wearing nothing but his underwear, sitting on a pillow.

As far as the mpg car... it would be mainly the early adopters that would go after it. These same folks that would buy the roadster model and MAKE it an mpg model just because they can. And that is a very important research and focus group that would be left out of the development of the actual mpg variant if the mpg model were released too early.

How about I put it this way...
    Would you rather have:
    - An eco-friendly version of a badass car? Thinking hybrid Audi R8
    -or A race tuned Altima Hybrid

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Details on the live stream have been posted here Doesn't look like I'll be able to embed the player here on the forum, but will keep seeing what I can do. However, you can still check it out on Factory Five's website or at our USTREAM page.

We've done a bunch of tests today and things seem to be working well with the iPhone app. Some of you may have seen some clips of Darth Vader on my desk if you happened to be on the USTREAM page randomly. We'll give it a shot tomorrow with the SEMA FFR-KONI GTM preview and then onto the big show on Saturday with the 818 models Saturday!
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast