Interesting video. His mistake with his RX-7 was in not holding out for an R1 model, then he’d feel differently.

I’ve got an e36 M3, picked it up about 8 years ago to have a fun car to drive while finishing my Daytona. The Daytona’s still not done (body work is taking a bit too long, I’m not that good at it apparently...). But, having the M3 has also changed my thinking in what I want out of my fun cars. It’s probably the best car I’ve owned. It drives great, is comfortable, can be used for any of the motorsports I’m interested in (autocross & road rally and, with a cage and taller suspension, would be good for performance rally), and is easy to work on & parts are relatively cheap. It even draws some attention now and then. But, the most dangerous thing it has done is changed my thinking about the Daytona. I originally wanted to build a replica of CSX2299 when it wore #5 at Le Mans in 1964 and wanted to do as much as I can on it. As of right now the only things I haven’t done myself are engine machine work & balancing and rear diff assembly. Putting the engine together was a challenge but, after dialing in the Webers pretty well, it revs really quickly & smoothly and pulls strong. I’ve autocrossed it a couple of times but the ancient billboards really killed the performance.

So now I’m rethinking the Daytona. It will work for summertime pavement activities but really won’t work for rally or rallycross. I was hoping it would fill more purposes but then found the M3. And the M3 is roughly 1/4 the cost so far of the Daytona. Perhaps it’s time to cut my losses, stop all of the thinking, rethinking, & redoing the seemingly endless to-do list, sell it, roll the majority of the money back into savings, and buy a ready-to-go log-booked car (like a Miata so I could go to the track to watch some racing in these days of non-spectator club racing).

No, cars don’t always make you happy. They can but, if you take too long, it can turn into a chore and kill the hobby for you. I’m dipping my toe in the 3d printing hobby pond right now, is fun.