Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TKO600 misalignment/interference with Pro 5.0 shifter

Post Thanks / Like

TKO600 misalignment/interference with Pro 5.0 shifter

Hey All,

I've run into a little issue as I'm trying to get the engine/trans position and driveline angles dialed in, and would appreciate some input. I added 3/4" of spacers (Forte's spacers) to the trans mount, and my initial measurements show that pinion angle is good. However, the problem I'm seeing is that the transmission is angled toward the passenger side of the trans tunnel, resulting in the driveshaft being angled laterally from the tail shaft to the IRS. I can't imagine this is good. The problem appears to be the rather large collar on the Pro 5.0 shifter that I purchased along with the TKO600 from Liberty's Gears. If I jack the transmission up so that the collar on the shifter is above the diagonal brace in the trans tunnel, I can align the transmission properly but at proper height the collar (and the throw adjustment bolt and jam nut) interfere with the diagonal brace. Note that this is in the rear shift position. I've seen a number of folks having interference with the other diagonal brace when doing a mid-shift position, but I've never heard of interference in the rear shift position. So I figure my options are:

1) leave the transmission pushed to the PS to fit the collar. (Can't imagine that this is the right answer).
    2) Cut and reinforce the diagonal brace to accommodate the collar (this doesn't sound fun with the engine/trans already in the car - and no, I'm not removing them).
    3) Replace the shifter with a different shifter that doesn't have a ginormous collar on it. Any recommendation? Just go back to a stock Tremec shifter, or are there other aftermarket shifters that are lower footprint?
    4) something else entirely that I haven't thought of?

Here are a couple of photos that show the issue. Note that in these photos the transmission is still angled a little. If the trans is straightened out properly, the collar is actually over the 3/4 tube.

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like one option could be Modern Driveline's short throw shifter:

https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop...ik-tko500-600/

Anyone have any experience with this one, or other similar shifters that have a lower profile than the Pro 5.0?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just cut the brace out and be done with it. I
    Promise you won’t feel any difference.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Mike
    He speaks the truth.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Mike
    I hear you, and coming from someone as experienced as you I have no doubt that this is a viable option. But man, that's a big leap for a newbie to get their head around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Pro 5.0 shifter, although mine is on a mid-shift (still TKO 600). Really, you have two choices: cut it and be done with it, or cut it and make a back up brace. Mike Everson is correct - you won't know the difference. Like you, I had a hard time doing that. So I cut the diagonal so it wouldn't interfere and put in a back up piece offset. Either way works. It's whatever makes you comfortable. Here are a couple of photos of mine:

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount