BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 818 SEMA Update WITH PICS!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree - that certainly looks correct to me. For me, I wouldn't call it confirmed until FFR says so. But that's me. EXCELLENT work on that, BTW. I was really impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's the order blank?

X 818R Chassis
    X Street Body
    X Removeable steering wheel so I can get out.....

Re Headlights,

They'll probably have to be DOT legal depending upon your state or province.

A lot of the aftermarket lighting is not DOT legal and, many times, is Cr*p. Note the capital C.

On the "bright side", was there a HID option from Toyota for cars that drive on the right hand side of the road?

John
    Last edited by Racebrewer; 09-26-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added

Post Thanks / Like
    If you modify your lights in any way they are not DOT legal. Who has ever been ticketed for that? Don't put purple HID lights in and you won't get noticed. I have extensive experience in retrofitting and flipping left hand HID shields. It isn't that bad if you have halogen projectors, there is a high chance that another HID specific projector will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm certain that DOT certification is one of the reasons FFR chose an OEM assembly over something like the Hella projectors. I would guess cost and intended design cues are other factors.

I'm guessing that in order to maintain a 'single donor' concept either OEM or aftermarket (but still DOT) Toyota lights will be included in the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is amazing how much nicer the body looks in these pics than in the previous renderings, etc. Just like Dave S has said, its a difficult mental transition to make. I like to think I have enough imagination to make that leap, but it turns out I only have enough to have realized that the real thing will look better than the renderings did, not enough to have visualized how good the real thing would actually look.

Plus these are still just pics (incomplete at that). This stuff always looks better in the flesh.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding HID lights, I have found that if you put whiter lights like 4300K found in many OEM cars on the low beams, then you get the benefit of more light without undesirable attention. I put Philips Bulbs and Philips Ballasts in my daily driver (swaps out halogen bulb) 5 years ago and have enjoyed them. They cost about $130 delivered then and prices seem to be about the same. This is an easy upgrade. People won’t know what is supposed to be stock for this car anyway as they will be more interested in trying to figure “Who makes that HOT car.”

I could be wrong, but it looks like the fiberglass in the tray may need to be cut out to allow the bottom of the headlight to be flush with the lower lip. This appears to be what is shown in the CAD image. I won't mind letting FFRs nice FANUC CNC do all of the necessary cutouts.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't talking just putting HID bulbs in halogen projectors, but a true HID projector retrofit.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...-retrofit.html
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Were there ever any FACTORY xenons in these housings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Were there ever any FACTORY xenons in these housings?
    Considering it's from a Camry and the SE trim that FFR chose was basically the sportiest model I would guess not. I, personally, have never seen any.

The SE trim lights have a blacked out background vs. the all chrome look of most of the other trims.

Post Thanks / Like
    PROPER retrofit it is then! And please dear god none of that xenons-in-halgon-reflector bullcrap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! Both Mary and I really like it... Dammit, not even done with my current project.

Nice job Jim, Dave and the FFR team!!

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    PROPER retrofit it is then! And please dear god none of that xenons-in-halgon-reflector bullcrap.
    Each to their own as HID in halogen reflectors works great for me and beats halogen, putting a lot more light on the road right where I want it. To some PROPER can only mean mechanically steered while to others it means projection lenses. To others PROPER can only be a certified DOT lenses, not a modified part. To some PROPER can only mean DOT legal with the emisions, which means no changes to the ECU and the CAT gets left in the up-pipe. I prefer to put my money and time into drive train and handling performance and will be modifying the ECU and will have no CAT in the up-pipe (Subaru design error removed in later designs).

Please do not attack others for taking a different approach than you would! I will enjoy seeing what you come up with. Having many options is good!

You might want to look at the Camry's Lexus twin for potential HID housings, but they might not be interchangable. This might be a better subject for another thread though, as I would rather see more photos of the progress to SEMA in this thread.
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 09-27-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a discussion for another thread but I'm sorry you are wrong. Don't take this as an attack, just go here and educate yourself first:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/foru...ative-Articles

Then you'll realise why there is a 140 page thread entirely dedicated to examples of why we hate people who put xenons in halogen reflectors/projectors:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...d-fail-gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wrap my head around the articulation in the front suspension. I looks to me like there is no camber gain in compression. I can see that they retained the eccentric bolt in the top of the spindle, but that only controls static camber.

Edit: maybe there's a little bit of camber gain, but not as much as one would want with a UCA that short. I think it's the length of the strut replacement bracket thingy.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimgood; 09-27-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There will definitely be some camber gain in this setup. Don't think you will need a lot as suspension compression will be minimal as will body roll. Can't imagine them making this a boat to drive. It will certainly be stiff and flat through the corners by the look of the design.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a true HID retrofit on one of my cars. It's not too terribly difficult to do to most factory reflector headlights. The reflector housings in the 818 look plenty deep enough to me.

I used these guys to buy my equipment: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

I'm also going to agree with the idea that just putting HID bulbs in a reflector housing is a bad idea. You need the optics to properly project the light where you want it. Otherwise you are just scattering a lot of light and not getting the full benefit, not to mention blinding other drivers.
    Last edited by VTX; 09-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave asked that I post a more detailed photo of the the headlamps. The upper fenders are not in this photograph and they surround the housing.

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Dave asked that I post a more detailed photo of the the headlamps. The upper fenders are not in this photograph and they surround the housing.

Why would Dave ask that? Is there something we wants us to see? My reaction was, hey it's a Camry light with a smokey lens. Nothing to see here.

I like the pictures of the chassis and suspension. At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing what the rear of the car looks like either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post

What I noticed, was the headlights look more recess (fully installed) a few brackets added, and it looks like a few features on the bumper were punched out.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave, and Dave, and Dave......and Jim,

Don't mistake the fact that the lights have been I.D.ed as complaining about them.

We are ust so starved for details we are gonna talk about every drop of info released.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ What he said. I actually thingk they look good. Just trying to do my research ahead of time to figure out how/if I want to modify them.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that is looking real good!

Post Thanks / Like
    ... but I'm sorry you are wrong.
    Uncool wording.

Quote Originally Posted by VTX View Post
    I'm also going to agree with the idea that just putting HID bulbs in a reflector housing is a bad idea. You need the optics to properly project the light where you want it. Otherwise you are just scattering a lot of light and not getting the full benefit, not to mention blinding other drivers.
    Much better way to say it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I'm guessing but those are maybe the standard seats for the 818R. Personally I've seen seats with stout helmet restraints that you'd want to run. I don't know if they are an add-on or not. Take a look at John George's setup:

Those seats may be an option. FFR already sells kirkey seats as an option for the other cars. Regardless, I believe the stock seats from the WRX are supposed to fit (not sure about the 818R) but the particular seats are Kirkey Road Race inters and are available from Jeg's for like $265 and $185 for the cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 agree

I did a true HID retrofit on one of my cars. It's not too terribly difficult to do to most factory reflector headlights. The reflector housings in the 818 look plenty deep enough to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The headlights look pretty good to me all fitted, and with the nose venting punched out its really starting to look aggressive.

Of course we are going to compare it to other cars, that is only natural. And while some in the past have mentioned, *gasp*, MR2 (the first of those being me, seeing an early mock-up), and more recently someone said S2000 (which is not such a bad thing), I'm starting to sense now more of a early Viper vibe.

I felt it when I saw the first side view in this thread, and now seeing it some more in the nose with the lights fitted. Perhaps the red color is aiding and abetting that feel, but its there.

I'm not saying it looks like a Viper, its not front-engined, just saying I'm picking up some of the Viper's aggressive overtones. I can feel the scalp warming...

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, Jim, and rest of the FFR guys,
    Truthfully I am just not sure on the styling or the overall chassis design. I think the best way to come to a final decision is to let me race a 818R for the 2013 season, then make my decision on purchase after that. You can deliver a completed model to my house right after SEMA.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    This next one is the what the actual front clip looks like about to be mounted to the 818R. You can also see some of the additional frame structure in this shot:

OK, I am either falling for the best joke or I have only been able to see one picture. Are there more pictures or just the one without the headlights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
    Dave, Jim, and rest of the FFR guys,
    Truthfully I am just not sure on the styling or the overall chassis design. I think the best way to come to a final decision is to let me race a 818R for the 2013 season, then make my decision on purchase after that. You can deliver a completed model to my house right after SEMA.
    Wow that sure is nice of you

Danny
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright you all, I have ruined three keyboards drooling all over them!! Can we please post the final pictures so I can stop running out to replace my keyboards? :-o)

Dave, Mad Dog, Jim, and the rest of you all at FF, keep drinking that coffee and wworking your butts off, while working crazy hours to finish these cars!!

I cannot wait to see the final product! You guys simply rock!! I am sending a long-distance stoke to keep the energy up while you finish things up!!

I am stunned!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    That is even stranger. I don't see ANY pictures, but when I quote the link with out pictures, a picture shows up. What the heck? Now when I go back, I can see all three pictures.
    Last edited by HelluvaEngineer; 09-27-2012 at 10:28 AM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to dream. Dream big! LOL. This car for me is getting better with every picture. FFR you are doing a great job and I hope to be one of the first to put a deposit down. This is getting very exciting as we get closer to SEMA. Thanks for all the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Can we please post the final pictures so I can stop running out to replace my keyboards? :-o)
    Nah, they should save the final reveal for SEMA.

What they should do is a Christmas Advent style deal. You know, one pic per day until the day of the reveal. They don't need to be big revealing pics. Just random teasers to keep us all hooked.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha! Like they NEED to do ANYTHING at this point. I think we are all hooked already! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaEngineer View Post
    OK, I am either falling for the best joke or I have only been able to see one picture. Are there more pictures or just the one without the headlights?
    Make sure you are logged in. I had the same issue and looked up at the top and realized that I was not logged in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have retrofit headlights. I did it for my 05 RSX-S. Not difficult but a pain time wise. I said I'll never do it again and just pay someone to do it, but I'll probably do it again for the 818... lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    There will definitely be some camber gain in this setup. Don't think you will need a lot as suspension compression will be minimal as will body roll. Can't imagine them making this a boat to drive. It will certainly be stiff and flat through the corners by the look of the design.
    I'm sure you're right. I forgot to account for the fact that this thing will have minimal body roll anyway. Plus, the suspension in the pic is at full droop. At ride height, that UCA will be angled upward. So, like I said, there will be some gain.

One other thing...it's drooping now and the tie rod is horizontal. At ride height, it will be angled upward, assuming the LCA will be horizontal. Does the angle of the UCA change the arc or keep it constant at the tie rod end? I.E. will there be bumpsteer with this set up or has it been reduced/eliminated by the geometry.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks really nice. Looking forward to the big reveal at sema.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I really like the design/engineering of the headlight system. It looks like it will be pretty much plug and play. I think FFR is applying "lessons learned" as they go forward on these project. This thing is going to be cool! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast