FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MKIV incorrect and/or missing parts list. (MKIV complete kit IRS, 302 and T5 setup)

Post Thanks / Like

MKIV incorrect and/or missing parts list. (MKIV complete w IRS, 302 and T5 setup)

Can I get a breakdown, form other builders, of what the common "incorrect or missing" parts have been on the MKIV so far?

- So far the steering arms I got were were for the Hotrod
    - I may have missing upper steering shaft (still looking for it)

F5 has been responsive in replacing, but this is a big time killer.

I would like to know as I am tryng to complete one section at a time, don't have room to pull all parts out and leave out.

My kit was bundled a while back perhaps right after march 2010 and delivered in July 2010.
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-01-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the arms are the same for the Hot Rod and the MKIV. They are marked correctly for the Hot Rod and need to be reversed for the MKIV. The only thing I thought I was missing were the louvers only to discover with a phone call they are packaged flat and they were put in the box label side down.
    Have a safe day,

Lew Poberezny

Wauwatosa, WI

MKIV ordered Sept. 02nd 2010

Stewert Delivered Oct. 11th 2010

Order Forte's Magic Dec. 02nd 2010

Roller Dec. 04th 2010

Vredestin 245/45R17 Front 315/35R17 Rear

See build details at my Blog

http://ffr7347build.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I may; perhaps a thorough inventory is in order, rather than trying to guess what is missing based on other's kits? FFR relies on 3rd party vendors for some pieces and stuff that isn't in for one kit will be in another. You should have received a back-order list with your kit, and the only way to cross check it is to do a proper inventory.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not like me to get lucky but so far I haven't found a single problem in the parts. Mine was a April 2010 delivery so it was a early Mk 4 with the now discontinued trunk floor. Which by the way fit as well as anyone could expect. I did about a 90% inventory when the kit arrived. I did not open the windshield or every little box and count every bolt and washer so something minor could be there but no big deal. I had a short B/O list and was very sad when the last box arrived.... B/O's can be fun....

Post Thanks / Like
    I did do an inventory, but major pieces, not every nut and bolt. I did have steering arms, but after trying to make them fit and a couple pictures later, I realized that the the arms for a Hot rod have a more radical bend in them, and the MKIV's have less of an angle in them. No way the inventory would tell that. I am sure it will get resolved, but a while back some owner wrote that there were 4 or 5 incorrect parts shipped with the MKIVs around the time my was shipped.

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest worry was the IRS, as my kit was originally ordered as a MKIII with complete IRS, and then upgraded to a MKIV and the compleye IRS pkg was Grandfathered from my original order. It all got sorted out but there was a time that I was worried when I did not get the IRS completion pkg with the kit. It was on the backorder parts list and did not automatically get shipped until I asked for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I completely understand where you're coming from, and thanks for clarifying it for me. I had a few "adjustments" myself that were discovered later. I was always taken care of by FFR. My attitude was that the build was my hobby, so since there wasn't a "due date", the inevitable delays didn't worry me too much. The after-market vendor delays on the other hand, sheesh! But I won't got there... Just remember, some guys end up missing the build when they are done!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you have IRS, check to make sure you have the proper shocks for the rear. The rear shocks should be longer. If they are all the same length, you have the wrong shocks.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    My shocks are all 9" from the outside of the top end to the bottom of the body where the piston rod comes out. Any idea how much longer they should be? or part number.

Do you have IRS and did u get the same incorrect shocks?

Attached are 2 pics

1 - The F5 mockup in Wareham, (note no driveshafts, black pumpkin)
    2 - my IRS (alum pumpkin)

Yep, the F5 pic seems to have longer shocks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcwho; 03-01-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add pics

Post Thanks / Like
    The front shocks are 16", the rears should be 18". I got the wrong shocks (all 16") with my kit in October of 2008 and I know many people that ordered IRS long after me continued to get the wrong shocks.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkx View Post
    The front shocks are 16", the rears should be 18". I got the wrong shocks (all 16") with my kit in October of 2008 and I know many people that ordered IRS long after me continued to get the wrong shocks.

Bruce
    Bruce, do you have pin-drive width IRS? I thought only pin-drive width IRS shocks were 18". Is that not correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Like David said, a complete inventory will save you alot of this frustration. Not just the big stuff; that isn't what will be missing. I think they do pretty good given the number of parts they have to package. My Mk3 was missing the shifter ball...that's it. The Mk4 was missing the steering rack extenders and the rear LCA fasteners.

RE: steering arms. The Hot Rod arms are entirely different than roadster arms. Mcwho your car was delivered about the same time as the Mk4 I am building, which means it was probably shipped with the recalled steering arm bolts. The button head fasteners are the questionable ones. FFR should have sent hex head replacements.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

You may be correct, I do have pin drive. It may only be the pin drive ones that are longer.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that to be the case, on my MKIII at least, the front and rear shocks are the same length, different spring for standard width arms.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkx View Post
    David,

You may be correct, I do have pin drive. It may only be the pin drive ones that are longer.

Bruce
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the pin drive rear shocks are longer, standard width shocks are the same front and rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    To correct Rich

Yes the pin drive rear shocks are longer, standard width shocks are the same front and rear.
    It should be
    PIn Drive or narrow width IRS uses a longer shock than the front. This is the same shock as the solid axle rear shock.
    Standard width IRS 59.5" (the same width as a 87-93 solid axle. uses the shorter shock, same as the front shock
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add, I do think F5 does an incredable job with the massive number of parts that are part of each kit. They must be doing the order picking in a orderly manner as I don't read about very many missing or incorrect parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also suggest a thorough inventory - not only does it avoid delays by discovering "missing" parts early in the process, it allows you a chance to get familiar with where everything is packed. It's not as time consuming - I did mine in a single day and counted every nut, bolt, and washer.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074