Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Grassroots Motorsports 818 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    Yes, very much an improvement. But those recesses could impact the placement of stereo speakers in the doors. What is the vertical dimension and depth of the upper recess? Anyone at Grassroots care to measure?
    I'm sure they'll come up with a "caption this photo" for you.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, very much an improvement. But those recesses could impact the placement of stereo speakers in the doors. What is the vertical dimension and depth of the upper recess? Anyone at Grassroots care to measure?
    I think it will be fine... looks like you still have several inches in the bottom and pretty much the whole depth at the top.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 09-30-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I think it will be fine... looks like you still have several inches in the bottom and pretty much the hole depth at the to.
    I think you are quite right about the depth. The doors are plenty deep enough for even the very best speakers. But because its an open car with lots of wind and road noise, for adequate volume and sound reproduction, I will want to mount my speakers as high as possible in the doors -- which means installing in the upper recess. And because I don't want to take up precious and limited space in the car with a subwoofer, my plan was to install the largest and highest quality coaxial or three-way speaker I can buy. The goal is a really good 6 X 9. But there may not be sufficient vertical space (at least 6") in the upper recess. Which means I may need to go smaller -- which will cost me some bass response. Or get really creative with the speaker mounting process...... In any event, that's why I'm concerned about the vertical dimension of the upper recess. Hopefully, GRM or someone else who has the new door panels will be able to measure the recesses and post the results. If not -- well, my kit will probably be delivered next week. If the new panels are included and not backordered, I'll be able to measure them myself. But that's a big if............. !

Apologies for the thread-jack. I know there is a more suitable thread for discussing stereo systems. I won't discuss that any more here. I just need to know the vertical dimensions and depth of the new inner door panel upper recesses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know there is a more suitable thread for discussing stereo systems. I won't discuss that any more here. I just need to know the vertical dimensions and depth of the new inner door panel upper recesses.
    That would be the thread I started here. I"m in the same situation, I will be installing an audio system, and am anxiously looking for any info on mounting options in the door panels.

my plan was to install the largest and highest quality coaxial or three-way speaker I can buy. The goal is a really good 6 X 9. .
    FYI, for sound quality forget about coaxial speakers or most 6x9's!!! Get a good set of component speakers (with separate woofers, tweeters and cross-overs network). This lets you mount the tweeter higher in the door for better stereo imaging. The woofer, which handles harder to localize low frequencies, can then be mounted lower in the panel without issues. There are lots of quality component systems with 5.25" and 6.5" woofers (and some 6x9). If 6.5" doesn't fit, I'm optimistic there will be a good location for a 5.25" (but that would likely require a sub for decent bass).

Let's move any further discussion over to the audio system thread; I wanted to make sure to point it out here so it wasn't missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^What he said!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    That would be the thread I started here. I"m in the same situation, I will be installing an audio system, and am anxiously looking for any info on mounting options in the door panels.

FYI, for sound quality forget about coaxial speakers or most 6x9's!!! Get a good set of component speakers (with separate woofers, tweeters and cross-overs network). This lets you mount the tweeter higher in the door for better stereo imaging. The woofer, which handles harder to localize low frequencies, can then be mounted lower in the panel without issues. There are lots of quality component systems with 5.25" and 6.5" woofers (and some 6x9). If 6.5" doesn't fit, I'm optimistic there will be a good location for a 5.25" (but that would likely require a sub for decent bass).

Let's move any further discussion over to the audio system thread; I wanted to make sure to point it out here so it wasn't missed.
    Agreed. Shifting this conversation to the audio thread. But I'm still hoping someone gets us a measurement on the height of that upper recess in the inner door panel! Wouldn't mind a vertical and horizontal measurement on the space directly in front of that upper recess (toward the door hinges) as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys, we have been out all weekend at Sebring (Yellow Miata):

What a great time, and was great to meet Wayne from VCP!

Also, look what I found in front of our office this morning:

Finally got to go for a test drive, I really enjoyed it. Great, fun car!

I also found a tape measure in the midst of all the fun:

The only place to logically mount a speaker is in that indention in the middle of the door panel. The indention measures approx 20" wide by 6.5" tall. It is recessed 2" into the door panel. I see no issues mounting a 6.5" round or 6x9 speaker in that space.

I will have more photos from the build soon, hopefully later today.
    Last edited by GrassrootsMotorsports; 09-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Caption, My first thought was....."woo look, no panties".
    Attached Images Attached Images

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    When am I ever going to get to work on my own car?
    caption.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassrootsMotorsports View Post

Finally got to go for a test drive, I really enjoyed it. Great, fun car!

I also found a tape measure in the midst of all the fun:

The only place to logically mount a speaker is in that indention in the middle of the door panel. The indention measures approx 20" wide by 6.5" tall. It is recessed 2" into the door panel. I see no issues mounting a 6.5" round or 6x9 speaker in that space.

I will have more photos from the build soon, hopefully later today.
    Thanks for the comeback on that. It's much appreciated. But for clarity, are those the dimensions for the upper or lower indentation/recess? If it's for the lower, I would really appreciate a measurement on the upper as well. At minimum, I'd like to at least put a tweeter in the upper........
    Last edited by Silvertop; 09-30-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    When am I ever going to get to work on my own car?
    caption.jpg
    So very true....
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comeback on that. It's much appreciated. But for clarity, are those the dimensions for the upper or lower indentation/recess? If it's for the lower, I would really appreciate a measurement on the upper as well. At minimum, I'd like to at least put a tweeter in the upper........
    The upper indention measures 26"x5" and isn't recessed enough for measurement. It is very slight. Basically I envision a tweeter mounted in this spot then a regular speaker mounted in the lower indention. If you guys have any other questions or need pics of things just let me know, as the 818 should be in the showroom for a week or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    The upper indention measures 26"x5" and isn't recessed enough for measurement. It is very slight. Basically I envision a tweeter mounted in this spot then a regular speaker mounted in the lower indention. If you guys have any other questions or need pics of things just let me know, as the 818 should be in the showroom for a week or two.
    Thanks for the clarification. While I was hoping that the upper recess was the 6 1/2" number you quoted, I figured it wasn't. Just looked too small. I'll probably stick a component set in the doors with a 6 1/2 in the lower recess and the tweeter up high. It'll work. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^Not a problem!

Putting some finishing touches on the front end:

Interior finishing:

Studs for the rear "hood"

We painted the stock wheels black, for now.

Caption this photo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I did think of one more question relating to the door indents/recesses.......... Do you have any idea how much depth there is in the door BEHIND the lower recess? Based on the photos, there appears to be a fair amount. Hoping for about three inches at minimum......

Post Thanks / Like
    DSC_3919_zps150423b7.jpg

I bought lunch last time. It's your turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I told you no more chile from La Comida el Volcan for lunch!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Caption this photo!
    [/QUOTE]

If I told you once, I told you a thousand times. When I am on my knees, I am looking for clearance issues in the wheel well. I am NOT sniffing your crotch!
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I did think of one more question relating to the door indents/recesses.......... Do you have any idea how much depth there is in the door BEHIND the lower recess? Based on the photos, there appears to be a fair amount. Hoping for about three inches at minimum......
    Not sure on exacts but there is definitely room between the door and door panel to fit a speaker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure on exacts but there is definitely room between the door and door panel to fit a speaker.
    Thanks. That's really all I need to know. I can be happy now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, who's on first, what's on second!!!!DSC_3919_zps150423b7.jpg (no one under thirty will probably get this.)
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 10-02-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After completing the build, we weighed it:

Then it's test drive time. But first, we needed some gas:

And away we go:

We have the car back in Florida and all is well. Many thanks to Wayne for helping us out on the build. We all had our fun test driving it last week, and now the car resides in our showroom. Up next, the car will be getting a vinyl wrap and hitting the track for some baseline tests. I will keep the thread up to date as we do things with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Caption this photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to cut open the side vents?
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Are you going to cut open the side vents?
    Yes, after the car is wrapped.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Caption this photo
    3 guys standing around...one guy working....I didn't know VCP was a gov't operation,......
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    DSC_3941_zps2b57b929.jpg

Where did our dash go? I thought that last cardboard box was empty when you threw it out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Over 1900 lbs on a donor build with bare bones interior and no gas. Kind of disappointing but expected after what the car weighed at the open house with aftermarket brakes and seats.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    Over 1900 lbs on a donor build with bare bones interior and no gas. Kind of disappointing but expected after what the car weighed at the open house with aftermarket brakes and seats.
    The stock seats with seat heaters and airbags are HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!! Would not surprise me if they were over 60 lbs each

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    The stock seats with seat heaters and airbags are HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!! Would not surprise me if they were over 60 lbs each
    Wayne, so you got the stock seats to fit..... thats good news, i was sceptacle. i have 2006 wrx wagon limited leathers heated i wanted to use but have read all the fuss about getting the seats to fit. glad to know someone has fitted them.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Caption this photo
    Sorry guys, I should not have eaten that burrito for lunch...

Post Thanks / Like
    lol!! That one fits perfectly Wayne! The look on the guy's faces says it all. Were you crop dusting while working??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dougkirkbride View Post
    Wayne, so you got the stock seats to fit..... thats good news, i was sceptacle. i have 2006 wrx wagon limited leathers heated i wanted to use but have read all the fuss about getting the seats to fit. glad to know someone has fitted them.
    Wayne made his own mounts for the GRM car... I just got my stock seats in mine using their new mounts. They could lower them an additional inch tho... At 5' 8" I fit fine with the new mounts. See photos on my thread
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Is there a safe way to remove the seat airbags?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Just did mine today. Flip the seat over and unzip the back panel. the panel tucks underneath with plastic clips. Carefully pull the wires through the space between the seat pan and the back. The wire is held to the pan by tape, just tear it away. Next cut/remove the two hog rings holding the side panel of the seat tight. Remove the two nuts and you can pull the airbag out. Fill in the space with some stiff foam. Either replace the hog rings or use a couple tie wraps to hold the side panel tight. Zip up the rear panel, re clip the panel at the bottom...

Done!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Yes! Just did mine today. Flip the seat over and unzip the back panel. the panel tucks underneath with plastic clips. Carefully pull the wires through the space between the seat pan and the back. The wire is held to the pan by tape, just tear it away. Next cut/remove the two hog rings holding the side panel of the seat tight. Remove the two nuts and you can pull the airbag out. Fill in the space with some stiff foam. Either replace the hog rings or use a couple tie wraps to hold the side panel tight. Zip up the rear panel, re clip the panel at the bottom...

Done!
    May I ask how much they weigh?
    2003 Corrola, stock with custom Fe2O3 coated fenders.
    2015 FFR 818 (get PhD-> get real job-> get 818)

Post Thanks / Like
    sure, give me another job to do! :-)

I'll have an answer for you soon, I'm guessing 2-3 lbs each...

2lbs, 4 oz with my postal scale
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 10-11-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added weights
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great vids!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Uggg, the clutch video. Nobody could have told me I rubbed my nose with a dirty hand???

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast