Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: P100DHG Build Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let’s talk tools.

Do I need a brake line bender? how about a double flare tool? Anyone recommend certain ones or have a list of tools that are must haves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    Let’s talk tools.

Do I need a brake line bender? how about a double flare tool? Anyone recommend certain ones or have a list of tools that are must haves?
    Since no one else responded (tried to give you a break...) I'll give my two cents worth. Brake lines depend on your build plan. The kit comes with multiple sections of steel brake lines and several unions. The brake lines bend easily by hand, curves can be bent around sockets, that sort of thing. It you're not super picky about routing, a little extra here and there, etc. you can do the whole job using the supplied tubing and without any new flares. At the other end of the spectrum would be rigid stainless, few/no unions, etc. Then you need bending tools, a decent flaring tool like this one https://www.eastwood.com/professiona...ring-tool.html, etc. Lots of guys like NiCopp brake line if you want to make your own and don't want to deal with something like stainless. Easy to flare with less elaborate flaring tools. But I'm still a big fan of the Eastwood tool. Ditto the same discussion for fuel lines. Similar decisions to make there, once you settle on the right size for your build. The kit comes with 5/16-inch supply and 1/4-inch return (if needed).

There's a tool list in the build manual. How much more than that you might need again depends on you, e.g. what if any mods you do, your personal build choices, etc.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.