The short block tear down (and I'm glad I did it).

First thing I noticed was a significant difference in breaking torque required moving through all of the bolts. Anyone see a suspicious cover fin laying where it should not be? What is that bolt doing in there? Sure seems to be a make shift plug of sorts, which interfered with the cover's fin.

IMG_5025.jpgIMG_5027.jpg

Case splitting. Anyone see a main bearing poking up to take a look at the camera? Looks like it was about to spin.

IMG_5031.jpgIMG_5034.jpg

Not really happy with the main bearings at all. I was hoping to get away with just honing and re-ringing. Not the case... It is hard to see it on camera, but the journals are all grooved and the finger nail catches on a ton of stuff. Even some rust on the center oil groove on the rear bearing. There is also significant grooving where the front and rear oil seals rode on the crank.

IMG_5036.jpgIMG_5037.jpgIMG_5041.jpg

The situation bit not get much better with the rod bearings, just a couple pics of those.

IMG_5042.jpgIMG_5045.jpg

Looks like I need to find a decent machine shop to get the crank resurfaced and polished. The where on the mains was not exactly uniform either. It seems that a resurface and a line hone might be a good idea there as well.

I have yet to tear into the heads.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy Subaru guy in the Atalanta Georgia area?