Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R.Spec's Gt35r Ej25 Supercar Killer

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Measure pedal bracket holes and frame holes.... All Measurments that you think will detail what you have to work with. I will then measure mine and post it too. Then we can see if your frame or pedal cluster is the issue. Is your pedal cluster from a JDM? does it seem straight? What year and model donor? Take a pic of the pedal mount bracket bolted to frame without the cluster in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine looked pretty similar. I put the four button heads in and left them a little loose, then put nuts on the clutch studs, then used some persuasion to line up the top three frame bolts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The button head screws called out in the manual are much smaller than the holes so they will fit through even though they are slightly offset. I would guess there are some differences between the Subaru years so they left the holes a little large to compensate. They snug up just fine.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that Tamra mentions that, I took another look at your pictures and I think she nailed it. I was having a hard time seeing what you were talking about in the pics because I didn't see anything that looked to be a problem so I assumed there was something I was missing. As she mentioned, those bolts are small and will fit in there (at the steering mount location). My pedal cluster didn't hit the bracket either.... it was about 1/4" away. Tightening the bolts down pulled it up tight with the frame bracket. I can't tell from the pics though, if the four bolt holes that hold the pedal cluster to the frame bracket are badly misaligned but if they are not, I'd say you don't have an issue here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some progress!!!

20150313_001657.jpg

20150313_001645.jpg

20150313_001632.jpg

This can't be right. Doesn't the bolt look a little bent? I measured the spacers thought o make sure I had the right ones. Also the 1.5" spacer that goes above this for the brace is too big. I am just going to grind it down to get it to fit.
    20150312_224053.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're just seeing the spherical bearing in the end of the shock being angled.
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
    I think you're just seeing the spherical bearing in the end of the shock being angled.
    Look at the gap on the outer part of the right spacer, vs the inner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Spec View Post

This can't be right. Doesn't the bolt look a little bent? I measured the spacers thought o make sure I had the right ones. Also the 1.5" spacer that goes above this for the brace is too big. I am just going to grind it down to get it to fit.
    The spacers look a little small to me. What did you measure the gap as versus the total length of spacers and shock?

I have the same issue with the above 1.5". I plan on doing the same thing, grind to fit.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    The spacers look a little small to me. What did you measure the gap as versus the total length of spacers and shock?

I have the same issue with the above 1.5". I plan on doing the same thing, grind to fit.
    I will have to measure today. The manual calls for a 0.43 and a 0.32 spacer. It fit better with two 0.375 spacers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If the space is small enough (<~0.05in) I would probably just torque the bolt and see if the bracket flexes to fit. I dont think FFR welded thoes plates perfectly parallel.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My take on it would be that it is an either/or sitchiashun of the brackets not being parallel and/or the spacer ends not being square. They are not the finest spacers in the world. Rough-cut and not de-burred.
    You can get these from Jegs, Amazon, etc. in steel or aluminum for $5~$8 a pair.
    31xY9qpLMIL.jpg
    If the spacers are square I'd just tighten it till the ears squish down. No big deal.
    Fun to have a roller, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it all figured out. Now I am onto the throttle cable. Should i do the big hole little hole slot trick like most people?

F5 forgot to send the manual brake pushrod so that's on its way so I can get the brakes hooked up. Then I am going to run all the lines for that. The fuel system is after that. Then Coolant.

Also I through some 18x9.5" wheels on it for now. The wheels hit at one full lock. But they are 245/40 r18 tires. So I think if I get 255/30/r18 they might not hit as soon and I could get a little more steering wheel turn. maybe 1 1/4 lock, which should be enough. Has anyone notched the frame or aluminum in the front for clearance?

Enjoy some pics

Last edited by R.Spec; 03-19-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you not familiar with the calculators and tire specs that are available:
    http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp
    http://www.ajdesigner.com/fl_tire/tire.php
    http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator
    http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/
    Find the specific tire that you wish to use and see if it will work based on what you have tried.
    Except for racing tires, most tires are made to a common standard.
    Also, pay attention to what people have posted in the Wheel and Tire Thread!

I've also suggested elsewhere that you can do a cardboard or Luan silhouette of a wheel/tire combo and rotate it around, much like they do to see if caliper/wheel combos work.
    I am very concerned by the amount of Heim joint thread that you have showing on the arms in the rear. Is that with a rough adjustment of the suspension?
    Last edited by Scargo; 03-20-2015 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added comment at end

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixed images

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. What offset are those wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Looking good. What offset are those wheels?
    I am gonna take a shot in the dark and say +38. Ill check when i get to work today. I just picked up a set of 17x7 wheels which i think I will throw on my daily. Which means I have my 17x8 enkei rpf1's that I can use on this. However. The wheel weight on the barrell of my rpf1 rubs on my stoptech brakes. sooo idk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    I am very concerned by the amount of Heim joint thread that you have showing on the arms in the rear. Is that with a rough adjustment of the suspension?
    It seems as though that's how much I need to get a 0 or -1 camber amount. Anything more and it's ridiculously cambered. Why could this be? As far as the front heim joint, that is what I used to roughly adjust toe and camber. And I think I got it close. I was going to bring it to a professional race alignment and wheel balance place to dial it all in.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offset. I'm assuming those are Rota Grids. Some people like to be critical of Rota's but from all the racing success they have (and so many people running them on the street), I'm a fan. Good value, and they are one of the few manufacturers who make a good selection in the pattern/size/offset we need. Rotas are on my short list along with Enkei.

I have the a lot of thread showing on my heim joints as well. I think I posted about it in my build thread and someone mentioned it was the same for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those swedged tubes are cheap. I needed to go up an inch on mine. I got these Allstar Performance ALL57158 Steel Tube, 5/8" x 7/8" O.D., 7" from Amazon for $10.17 each, Prime Member. Black, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Those swedged tubes are cheap. I needed to go up an inch on mine. I got these Allstar Performance ALL57158 Steel Tube, 5/8" x 7/8" O.D., 7" from Amazon for $10.17 each, Prime Member. Black, too!
    I also bump up to 7" upper lateral link tubes. Here is a picture of one installed.
    tubes.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good tip thanks Scargo and Bob! Had no idea they were so common and cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't really know what to do here. Thinking about making a plate on the aluminum side with studs welded to it to hold the brake master cylinder. Suggestions?

20150327_163723.jpg

20150327_163731.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or buy this one:
    Brake master cylinder relocator
    http://www.replicaparts.com/818%20parts%20page.htm

Details of the install are on my build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Or buy this one:
    Brake master cylinder relocator
    http://www.replicaparts.com/818%20parts%20page.htm

Details of the install are on my build thread.
    Emailed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got it all figured out. Now I am onto the throttle cable. Should i do the big hole little hole slot trick like most people?

F5 forgot to send the manual brake pushrod so that's on its way so I can get the brakes hooked up. Then I am going to run all the lines for that. The fuel system is after that. Then Coolant.

Also I through some 18x9.5" wheels on it for now. The wheels hit at one full lock. But they are 245/40 r18 tires. So I think if I get 255/30/r18 they might not hit as soon and I could get a little more steering wheel turn. maybe 1 1/4 lock, which should be enough. Has anyone notched the frame or aluminum in the front for clearance?

Enjoy some pics

I have rack spacers to correct your tire rubbing. Pm me if you want them sent to you.

Ps your going to need a set of adjustable rear links to get your alinmebt even close.

Remember many have been building these cars and doing great jobs, but very few have them on the road,aligned, all sorted, titled and registered. Also many important tips have been lost in the forum..... Yes this is also motivation for many of you that need to get your cars completed so we can have driving threads to.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 03-28-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't posted in awhile. Been really busy at the shop with customer cars and moving in these last couple months, breaking up with my girlfriend, turning 21 etc.

Either way some of my parts showed up today! Manley H-Tuff Rods and King Coated bearings! As well as some minor stoptech rear braided lines. Saving more money for my pistons, clutch, and valvetrain springs!

I got most all of my lines ran, need to rivet them onto the frame. Also need to run the coolant lines, I have been struggling getting the subaru oem hose over the corrugated tubing. I am going to oreillys to try and find larger hoses that fit over easier. Here are a couple pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys here on the forum have talked about all kinds of lubricants and warming of the rubber to help with the hose's tight fit. Another possibility might be the "blow the grip onto the handlebar" trick which would mean you use air pressure to inflate the hose while you push it on. Would require some stoppers, possible pinching the hose on one end or something similar to trap the pressure. Just a thought since it works so well for installing sleeves and grips on bicycle handlebars.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    My advice would be to boil the end of the hose in water before you install it. Lubricate the inside with some 100% coolant right before sliding it on. Haven't gotten that far yet myself though.

Post Thanks / Like
    We bought the Gates OEM replacement radiator hoses. They went on without any special treatment (just some rubbing alcohol on the inside during install). Obviously, they should be a tight fit to not leak, but it wasn't excessively tight.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^
    gates 22885
    gates 22886
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    ^
    gates 22885
    gates 22886
    ordered. My oreilly's is bringing it to my shop right now. We will see if you are right

Post Thanks / Like
    ^
    gates 22885
    gates 22886
    I basically love you! Went on like butter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my motor fully assembled. Excited to drop it in. Deciding if I want to just break it in with the td04 or the 35r

11227249_10205599467977815_336705376_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my motor fully assembled. Excited to drop it in.
    That does not look fully assembled. It looks like its about 7 hours short of fully assembled. The pulleys, timing belt, intake, covers (oops, those needed to go on before belt), wire harness, sensors, water pump, and all the other little bits that require you to remove stuff that you just installed minutes ago.

Have you figured out what to do with your front tire rub?

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    That does not look fully assembled. It looks like its about 7 hours short of fully assembled. The pulleys, timing belt, intake, covers (oops, those needed to go on before belt), wire harness, sensors, water pump, and all the other little bits that require you to remove stuff that you just installed minutes ago.

Have you figured out what to do with your front tire rub?
    ok mr grumpy pants, maybe that's not a current picture.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, I reread my post. Sorry it came across that way. I certainly didn't want it to. It was more of a kidding around tone (in my head) when I wrote it.
    I thought R.Spec might have been kidding around with us too.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks skinny.. In need of a good meal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    yeah, I reread my post. Sorry it came across that way. I certainly didn't want it to. It was more of a kidding around tone (in my head) when I wrote it.
    I thought R.Spec might have been kidding around with us too.
    I mostly meant that the longblock was assembled. I work on subarus for a living and we build so many motors, once it gets to the longblock stage, everything goes so quick for us, so I just said it was fully assembled. It won't take me long to throw the accessories, fuel rails, intake mani on. I did wrinkle black paint my tgvs and intake manifold though! Looks so good. And deleted my tgv's. Yippeee!!!!

motor1.jpg
    Last edited by R.Spec; 05-16-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're still talking about cars right?! Just kidding, couldn't resist. Your build is coming along nicely. I'm a big fan of black wrinkle paint, it'll be a clean look on the intake.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 06-26-2015 at 06:36 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast