Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

IFS Control Arms

I am pleased to report that the ball joints went into the IFS upper control arms with little trouble. I buffed the threads of the ball joints to smooth out any imperfections, applied blue locktite, and threaded them in. I was surprised to not have much problem with this step. I know others have fought the ball joints, found them to be too tight, but I did not have this experience. I think the buffing of the powder coat on the threads created just enough space to make them thread right in. Whatever the reason, they worked well. As you can see from the photo, the parts are in the right place, but nothing is tightened. The heavier duty torque wrench will be here Tuesday, and I can get to work next weekend tightening everything up to specs.

Now on to a few questions. First these two pieces. The top one is the top inside DS footbox cover, and the lower looks like it is the same shape as the opening and is the size that should be the cover for the opening in the top part. however, the lower piece is bent the wrongway to fit as the cover. The bend should go the other direction but the same diagonal. Do I have my parts mixed up, or did the lower cover piece get bent the wrong way?

The piece below is the tunnel for the clutch cable. I plan to use the Forte Hydrolic clutch. As such, do I still need this tunnel on the front wall of the DS footbox? If I don't need it, can I cover the hole before I have the panel Powder coated? I don't want to Powder coat this part if I am not going to use it.

Edwardb did a beautiful job of painting or powdercoating this driveshaft adapter before he installed it. (I'm not sure which one, but would love to know!) Does this part need that type of protection? Will it be seen after it is installed? If powder coated, how do you keep the threads clean, or do you chase them after coating?

I think I have all the parts sorted for powder coating. I have a stack for black PC and all the visible aluminum panels. I think I will drop them off to the powder coater tomorrow before I leave for a business trip. With a bit of luck, they will be done after I return.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 01-01-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan