Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jazz-

So very cool! I admire and respect those of you that take on this project. I really like the tilt front, but there is no way I have the courage to do it myself.

King has done a great job on his, and I know you will receive expert advice! Likewise Mike will be a great resource for your fiberglass work! You have truly expert resources to help you in your journey!

I second Paul's comments regarding the expanding family and the recent commencements as well. Congratulations.

I will be following your progress like many others I am sure. Best of luck as you move forward, and steady hands for that first and subsequent cuts!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Jazzman

After looking at Dallas and studying 2BKING I will be following you since I plan to drive for about 1 year in gelcoat,
    then I plan to put the body under the knife. I will be looking to see what your plan is for the hinge. It does take
    courage but as someone told me it is only fiberglass.

thank you for the pictures of your progress.

From #8851 still doing inventory

Cecil

Post Thanks / Like
    When I put the body on for the first time yesterday, I was surprised that it just barely fit. The frame and rear sheet metal seemed to be too long. I found that the sheet metal at the rear, the two sides and the lower trunk floor panel were right up tight against the fiberglass. However, there wasn't even any bulb seal in there, and the body was far enough back on the frame that the door hinges would not open. They struck the inside of the body. I was contemplating this problem, measuring, and trying to figure how much to cut off, when I received a very timely email from 2bKing. He told me that he, too, had to cut off the rear sheet metal to make the body fit and the bulb seal have room to do it's job. This made me feel so much better. So today I measured again, and decided to cut off 1.125" from the rear side sheet metal, and 1.375" from the rear of the lower trunk floor panel. (The lower panel is already 0.25" too long.) Theoretically, this should allow the body to move forward by the 0.675" that it needs to be in the right place, and allow 0.5" for the bulb seal. I sure hope I have figured this right!! Messing this up will involve buying new side panels and re-powder coating them. Definitely not the plan!

Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    When I put the body on for the first time yesterday, I was surprised that it just barely fit. The frame and rear sheet metal seemed to be too long. I found that the sheet metal at the rear, the two sides and the lower trunk floor panel were right up tight against the fiberglass. However, there wasn't even any bulb seal in there, and the body was far enough back on the frame that the door hinges would not open. They struck the inside of the body. I was contemplating this problem, measuring, and trying to figure how much to cut off, when I received a very timely email from 2bKing. He told me that he, too, had to cut off the rear sheet metal to make the body fit and the bulb seal have room to do it's job. This made me feel so much better. So today I measured again, and decided to cut off 1.125" from the rear side sheet metal, and 1.375" from the rear of the lower trunk floor panel. (The lower panel is already 0.25" too long.) Theoretically, this should allow the body to move forward by the 0.675" that it needs to be in the right place, and allow 0.5" for the bulb seal. I sure hope I have figured this right!! Messing this up will involve buying new side panels and re-powder coating them. Definitely not the plan!

Wow, that is a fair amount to trim. I am hoping to fit the body this weekend and likely will have some trimming myself but didn't think it would be that much. Are those the only two areas for you?

Love the tilt mod you're doing. Daring and way too much for me to consider but will follow your posts as it is an awesome mod.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Wow, that is a fair amount to trim. I am hoping to fit the body this weekend and likely will have some trimming myself but didn't think it would be that much. Are those the only two areas for you? Love the tilt mod you're doing. Daring and way too much for me to consider but will follow your posts as it is an awesome mod.
    I have not yet done the trimming, but yes, thus far, that is all I have seen that will be necessary. Because it is such a large amount to trim out, I will probably reinstall the body yet again just to be double sure before I actually do the cuts. I may also do it in two stages, about half an inch each. I am not sure yet.

Thank you for the compliment on the tilt mod. Like many of the more aggressive modifications, this one seems to split the FFR builder community rather strongly. The more traditional builders seem to hate it. I have received a number of rather negative comments about it. "I just don't like the look." "It will hurt the resale value." "It is more work and expense than it is worth." While all those comments may indeed be true, I have also gotten a number of positive comments like yours, and they are greatly appreciated. One of the great things about this hobby is that unless you are specifically building the car to sell immediately to turn a quick profit, you choose the modifications that you want to personalize your car to your own taste. I think this makes for a very vibrant and creative environment. I may not want to do every choice and mod I see, but I certainly can appreciate the creativity and skill that each one takes to accomplish. Since these are all replicas anyway, I think the creativity Is great. Some want an "exact replica", recreating the original as closely as possible. (Of course, you end up with a replica.) Others want an "inspired by" or "homage" replica that attempts to take the best of the original and try to improve upon it. (Of course, you still end up with a replica!) I say build for your own joy, and let the chips fall where they may! You chose 15" wheels, a traditional pushrod engine, and a blue and white color scheme. GREAT! I chose 18" wheels, a non-traditional coyote engine, and will not be doing the traditional blue and white. Also good. To each his own!

I hope your build it progressing smoothly and you are having as good a time as I am!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan