Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Elan NP01 Prototype Spec Racer- Plavan Racing #02

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Elan NP01 Prototype Spec Racer- Plavan Racing #02

Since some of you asked to follow my next car, so I starting this thread in the off topic forum. That way we can keep my old thread from getting cluttered (maybe too late

I sold my 818R after dumping $35k+ into it. It was a wild ride of ups and downs. But enough of that- It's time for the new racecar.

Background of the NP01

Specs:

BODY

Center Single Seat Enclosed Prototype Component Race Car for NASA NP Competition
    Composite Body with Easily Replaced Sections to Reduce Repair Costs
    Opening Prototype Style Doors with Latches,
    Functional Front Splitter
    Adjustable Full Width Rear Wing
    Head, Tail and Rain Lights Windshield Wiper
    Polycarbonate Windshield and Side Windows
    CHASSIS

1018 Steel Tube Frame, Tig Welded with Integral Roll Cage Structure
    Side Intrusion Protection Bars
    Force Attenuation Nose Box Structure
    Fully Adjustable Suspension with MCS Double Adjustable Shocks
    235/40/17 Toyo Proxes RR Tires
    17 x 9 OZ Wheels
    StopTech Forged aluminum 4 Piston Brake Calipers
    HUGE 2-piece rotors with aluminum hats
    11 gal Pyrotect Fuel Cell
    Safecraft 5lb electric Fire suppression system
    DRIVETRAIN

Sealed Mazda 2.0 Liter MZR Engine with Dry Sump (Approx. 185 HP)
    6 Speed Sequential Sadev SL-75 Transaxle
    ACT 8lb steel Flywheel and race clutch disc
    AEM Infinity8 Sealed ECU
    AIM MXL2 Dash
    SPECIFICATIONS

Approx. 1450 Lbs.
    102” Wheelbase
    161.0” Overall Length
    43.9” Max Height
    75.4” Max Width
    155 Max Speed
    INCLUDED ITEMS

The NP01 Component Race Car includes all components necessary to assemble a running, drivable NP01. The only items needed in addition to the original order are safety belts, nets, fluids and fuel. Everything else is included; chassis, body, engine, transaxel, seat, wheels, a set of race tires, all necessary hardware and fasteners, wiring, ECU, all suspension components, etc. (It is highly recommended that assembly be completed by an experience, competent technician familiar with race car design, assembly and operation)

OPTIONS

Cool Suit System
    Endurance Lighting Kit
    Windscreen Demisting Kit
    Helmet Cooling Kit
    Quick Fuel Dry Break Kit
    Alignment Tool Kit

I ordered Chassis #20. There are currently 25+ sold (trending at +1 a week now) and there has not even been an official race yet.

In the interest of time (and a suggestion...errrrr....request from the wife) I'm having Elan build it. She did not want me in the garage again like with the 818R, she must still like me....

Here is my chassis getting some attention when they first started. They are currently building #16, #17, and Mine (#20). #18 and #19 are kits they are shipping out.

It will look like this in the coming days. (Photo from a home builder and his chassis)

I opted for a Aim MXG dash (Huge!), 2 Element Cool Suit system (Helmet and shirt), 2 cockpit blowers, Dry Break fueling, upgraded alternator. I will be installing on my own LED headlights (The new Hella LED specific 90mm units), Flash to pass headlight relay, Radio system, Interior night racing lights, Safecraft Side nets (both sides), Schroth Enduro harness, Drink system, rearview camera and monitor, A light 3M Crystalline tint (to help keep cockpit temps down).

The car will also be wrapped by a local (to Elan) Vehicle Wrap installer (Worked on the Deltawing). Here are the first two designs we are still working on, it is not final. I am making some changes. Car will bare my #02 and some other sponsor decals.

You will also need these types of jacks for this car. The lever jack would of worked perfectly for the 818R also. I just put these jacks together last night.

I'm headed to Elan in a little over a week so they can pour the seat to my body, and give me the tour of the place (and wrench on my car!) They are working hard to get the car done in time for the first NP01 Pacific Series race at Willow Springs mid March. In fact, The owners of the other cars who are being built next to mine Ok'ed the pause of their builds so Elan can get mine out ASAP. The other builds are racing on the East Coast and their series starts much later, so they have time. Big thumbs up to the Owners and Elan. One of the other chassis will be used to mount/fit my body so they can do two things at once! Awesome idea and totally unexpected. I'm very thankful for this.

So stay tuned-
    Last edited by ehansen007; 02-22-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)