Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: It's Happening!

Post Thanks / Like

It's Happening!

Hi Guys!

It still feels very surreal, but I got my completion date and set up transportation with Stewart for my Mk4. This has always been a dream build of mine. I plan to keep it simple and authentic (Manual steering, brakes, etc.).

Now time to get the one car garage ready and find a body buck!

Thanks,
    ScottieC

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Great feeling right??? If you think so, just wait for delivery day :-)
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally! I am beyond excited. I had to say goodbye to racing spec miata. But, I think building this will be all worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Totally! I am beyond excited. I had to say goodbye to racing spec miata. But, I think building this will be all worth it.
    What's the plan for the car?? Engine picked out? Special/unique stuff? Colour? (Lots of time to think about colour I guess)
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I want the build to give me the same feeling Carroll Shelby had when he started this whole thing. I can only assume it was something like "Woah, this is nuts. This is raw. We can probably make some improvements." LOL

I am going with a 302 that I will build. I will be more than happy if I get 300 whp out of it. T5 trans, 3.55 gears, FFR's manual steering rack, Ill do Mustang GT brakes. I ordered the base kit so I can piece it all together. I'm assuming this will take 2 - 3 years.

As for color. I am really digging silver with no racing stripes. Man oh man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. I've always wanted to build a cobra with a 427 in it.
    It is now a far off project as I have to finish my GTM first, then move onto getting a truck and hauler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! When researching the cobra I can across the gtm. That made me thing long and hard lol

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I can build a MK-4 in my shop that only fits one car then so can you, but your living room or maybe a spare bedroom will likely become a Factory Five Warehouse for a while. Also, when your kit arrives please remember to do a very detailed inventory (Piece By Piece Please) and not just a box by box check in.

Good Luck & Congratulations!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-13-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I too am waiting on my kit, but I am more waiting on Transport Canada for my import approval, soooo painful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    If I can build a MK-4 one in shop that only fits one car then so can you, but your living room or maybe a spare bedroom will likely become a Factory Five Warehouse for a while. Also, when your kit arrives please remember to do a very detailed inventory (Piece By Piece Please) and not just a box by box check in.

Good Luck & Congratulations!
    Thanks so much! I absolutely will. I have a few ideas of how to store the body. Did you just use a body buck that rolled over the chassis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! That's awesome scottiec!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iLn View Post
    Congratulations! That's awesome scottiec!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, congratulations. It's a great feeling when something all comes together. You will have one heck of an experience building your car. I'm about a week out from my "first start" and I am scrambling to button up last minute details for the big day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations! I upgraded your account so you can edit your profile, use the picture gallery, etc.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tures-in-posts

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is in the FAQ's on FFCars.....http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck02.html

Build it and it will be your best friend for the duration of the build. I was able to store most of the sheet metal and boxes on the shelf or hanging from nails off the front/back of the buck.

Body buck.jpgbody1.jpgbody2.jpgbuck1.jpgbuck2.jpgbuck3.jpg

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Congratulations! I upgraded your account so you can edit your profile, use the picture gallery, etc.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tures-in-posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    This is in the FAQ's on FFCars.....http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck02.html

Build it and it will be your best friend for the duration of the build. I was able to store most of the sheet metal and boxes on the shelf or hanging from nails off the front/back of the buck.

Body buck.jpgbody1.jpgbody2.jpgbuck1.jpgbuck2.jpgbuck3.jpg

Ray
    Thanks so much!! are you able to work under the buck? or do you HAVE to roll it out every time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! That has to be an awesome feeling! I hope to find out soon for myself. Good luck with build!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like delivery is probably being pushed back to next week. Since the car will probably take two years to build, a few more days won't hurt. OH THE ANTICIPATION!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am going with a 302 that I will build. I will be more than happy if I get 300 whp out of it. T5 trans, 3.55 gears, FFR's manual steering rack, Ill do Mustang GT brakes. I ordered the base kit so I can piece it all together. I'm assuming this will take 2 - 3 years.
    Sounds very similar to my build and I'm VERY happy with it. (although I would recommend PS & PB)

This was my plan, hope it's helpful:
    Build Plan:
    MPTech Build Plan
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Scott. Don't forget we need pics.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely! Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Thanks so much!! are you able to work under the buck? or do you HAVE to roll it out every time?
    Hi Scottiec - First off, congrats on your decision to take on this venture. You will find it very rewarding. I'm building mine in a one car garage and using a body buck. As Ray said, build it and it will be your best friend. Build it like it needs to last forever. Don't cut comers by not gluing and screwing. You want it to hold up to the rigors of moving it in and out of your garage and for all the "other" stuff you end up storing on the buck itself. I built a shelf on mine and I occasionally throw tools up there etc.

As for having to move it in an out EVERY time. You will find as you work on the car, your either concentrating on the rear or the front depending on what stage of the game your on. I don't move my buck out to the driveway unless I have too OR, I am able to work on the car ALL day. You will find out what works best for you. As far as working under it? I've done it but not for any amount of time.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Scottie,

You are so lucky to be starting with the MKIV. Us MKIII guys had to do a lot of mods that you will have built in. Sounds like you and I went a similar route with engine etc. I love doing engine work but did not build the short block. I left that to ATK. I like the value and peace of mind that a pro engine builder gives you even though I used to do it a lot with BBC in my hot rods. Would love to hear more details on your build like choice of diff etc. Congrats on making a very good choice for your project.

Just went on a drive here in beautiful AZ and find it just as thrilling to drive as it was in the beginning. It's hard to believe but true.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got the call from Stewart yesterday! The car will be here tomorrow morning! Personally, I think that is a great way to start off Thanksgiving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent news Scott. Pictures please.
    JR