Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone else with a delivery coming up? (delivery planning advice needed)

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else with a delivery coming up? (delivery planning advice needed)

I spoke to Stewart Transportation today, my kit was completed 11/26/16. They are planning on picking it up some time this week. I was told a week or so to get down here to Louisiana. Just trying to see if anyone else's kit is hitching a ride with Mine. This next week or so will seem like forever!

With all of that out of the way, what do i need to have ready for the driver when he gets here. When he calls I will give him the option of delivering on our street and having our local sheriff's dept assist with directing traffic or going accross the street to a friend of ours with a large gravel parking lot that he stores his tractor trailers and trucks in. Either way there is plenty of room to turn around there to get right back onto the interstate. If we go that route i have a car trailer at my disposal if need be to trailer it across the street to my office. Has anyone rolled the chassis dolly that stewart brings over limestone gravel? Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.

Beer will be iced and I have help lined up to knock inventory out on D day.

Thanks as always.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, their cart will roll on gravel (I've had several delivered that way). Have 2 sets of jackstands ready or your own chassis dolly to set it onto. If you haven't done so already this week or so would be a great time to build a chassis dolly and body buck.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Body buck is done. I haven't built a chassis dolly but I have 4 furniture dolly that we use for work. What benifit is the chassis dolly? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got a call today from Jolene at Stewart transportation. My drivers name is Jim and he has roughly 2200 miles to travel with 5 stops. The only stop that I remember her mentioning is in Missouri. She guesstimates Sunday as D day. What do you guys recommend as far as help to get it unloaded? How many hands and what's a good number to knock out the inventory?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get 2 friends to help, then there will be four of you to deal with the frame and boxes (you, Jim, and your two friends). One at each corner of the frame... More people and you're in the mode of having to manage everybody. I had two of my neighbors and it worked pretty well.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    Body buck is done. I haven't built a chassis dolly but I have 4 furniture dolly that we use for work. What benifit is the chassis dolly? Thanks
    It just makes it really easy to move the car around and have access.

Heck, on one build during a time when FFR was in the midst of one of their wheel backorder crisis I went so far as installing the engine and doing a first start with the chassis on the dolly!

...what's a good number to knock out the inventory?

Thanks
    I know you're doing this as a group build but get the idea that you are the primary "hands on" guy. For that reason I suggest that YOU do the inventory. Have a helper if you like to check off on the lines on the packing sheets but it will be tremendously beneficial to helping you to become familiar with and able to identify the parts if they all touch your hands and are seen by your eyes. The inventory method that works for me is to make a copy of each page of the pack list. You'll find that each box has it's own page. Go to box whatever, let's say #8 and pull it's sheet. Go line by line checking items off and put all of the parts back into the box. When I have completed a box I tape the copy of that box's sheet to it then mark on the end it's number and a brief list of what primary components it contains (Box #8 front suspension, etc.). Once I have finished I keep the original copy of the inventory sheets on a clipboard that stays with the boxes. When searching for something if it isn't apparent by the notes on the end of the box I refer back to the sheets on the clipboard to find which one whatever I'm looking for is in. Works for me anyway

Exciting times coming up for you!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. As far as the chassis dolly... do you work on the car with it on the dolly? The reason that I ask is because I figured that we would be doing most of the work with the frame on jack stands. Once it becomes a roller there wouldn't be much need for it. Now if wheels and tires are back ordered that may be a good solution.

Last question (at least for this post) what height would I need my body buck in order to fit the dolly underneath? I would assume if the frame fits under with jack stands the dolly shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks as always

Post Thanks / Like
    I did my work on jack stands (primarily). I'd keep it on the dolly for a lot of your build. Keeps the tires off the pavement. One benefit of the dolly is if you're doing this in a one bay garage; you can move the car to give you more room on the side that your working on. Example: Working on the front end and the garage door is closed? Move the dolly to the back of the garage a little bit more to give yourself room. Working on the rear when the garage door is closed? Move it right up next to the garage door to give yourself more room in the rear. I find I move my car around a lot.

As far as the height of the body buck: I had mine high enough that when the car was on jack stands, I could clear the car's dash hoop with the bottom of the buck WHILE still being able to roll it out the garage door if I needed more room. Don't trap the body in the garage.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 12-05-2016 at 09:11 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a monetary gift (AKA Tip) for the driver?
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    I really liked being able to move it around on the frame dolly. Made it super easy to allow myself extra room when working on a particular area as mentioned above. Also with all the frame drilling I liked rolling the entire thing out of the garage at times to clean up all the debris. You certainly can go without one but I am sure glad I had it.
    As far as driver tip I gave him some cash and my wife made him some baked goods.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I definatly plan on tipping him. I'll probably build the dolly as well. Jeff do you have deminsions for that thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Jeff do you have deminsions for that thing?
    I put it together over a decade ago and have used it while building several cars but don't have plans and it is at my other house at the moment so I can't give you exact dimensions. We can get close though---memory tells me that the 4X4 cross pieces are probably about 30 inches so that they can accept the main 4" round chassis tubes which are 24" on center. The 4X4s are separated by 2X6s and as I recall they are somewhere around 66" long. The whole works is on 4 big honkin' (like 500# per) swivel casters. Hope that helps!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    On the other forum a member name of chrisarella posted plans for a dolly with a list of materials which I used to build mine. I would suggest that you glue and screw it.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    On the other forum a member name of chrisarella posted plans for a dolly with a list of materials which I used to build mine. I would suggest that you glue and screw it. Also if you use the search function above and search for chassis dolly plans you can see a post with a plan and materials list.
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 12-06-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I will do that. I have seen a few sets that use several 2x6s. I have also seen a set that uses harbor freight furniture dollies. I have a few of those lieing around. I will probably go that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building mine on jack stands. I have my body buck on wheels and I store the parts boxes on those cheap harbor freight furniture dollies. I move the parts boxes frequently, the body buck once or twice but the chassis has stayed put. Really depends on your work space.
    The inventory was a bit of a pain because I didn't know what I was looking at in some cases but you will get familiar with everything pretty quickly. Have fun.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Straversi that's how I have it set up now. My original intent was to get it to a roller then all would be well. That being said were it sits now doesn't leave much room for the rear end installation.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We dropped of my car around the corner and up my gravel driveway and it was easy, especially because some kids in a Hot Rod Chevy S-10 volunteered to push the project for this gray haired dude!

1. Do a very detailed inventory and make a copy of the inventory sheet and tape it to the appropriate box.
    (It will help you find the part you need when you need it.)
    2. Read the assembly manual 2 or 3 times and watch the assembly videos a few times as well.
    3. If you can afford a portable lift, like the Max Jax or other system, then get it for it will be well worth the money.
    4. If you don't want to spend the money on a lift, you can build some industrial strength saw horses like I did.
    (I'm off the ground 22" so it's been easy to do all the work, but you have to be careful when jacking or lowering the car.)
    5. Get a head light or cap with a light in the bill because it will make working under the car a lot easier if you can see.
    6. If you have a wife, take her out to dinner often.
    7. If you have a girl-friend, take her out to dinner often.
    8. If you have a wife and a girl-friend, then you are on your own.

Good Luck From The Swamp Lands Of Louisiana!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-07-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

8. If you have a wife and a girl-friend, then you are on your own.

Good Luck From The Swamp Lands Of Louisiana!

Steve

...or soon will be

Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny you mention the wife!! She calls the car my girlfriend already! I had a long discussion with a good friend of mine. Score placing my order. I decided that acruing browning points and paying the good deeds forward is my only shot. I know I will be working on it nearly every spare moment that I have. We have come to an agreement that it cannot interfere with "scheduled events" for the kids. Other than that she gets it! She knows that this is my dream car and a project I have wanted to do for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny you mention the wife!! She calls the car my girlfriend already! I had a long discussion with a good friend of mine. Score placing my order. I decided that acruing browning points and paying the good deeds forward is my only shot. I know I will be working on it nearly every spare moment that I have. We have come to an agreement that it cannot interfere with "scheduled events" for the kids. Other than that she gets it! She knows that this is my dream car and a project I have wanted to do for years.
    Don't know if she would be into it but I bought my wife some pink work gloves and asked for her help when she was available. She likes being a part of it and takes pride in the minimal tasks she has completed.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife's contribution has been predetermined and agreed upon!! She will supply pizza and beer anytime we need. I thought it was sweet of her until I realized she meant bringing my beer to the shop and ordering Pizza Hut online!! Lol.

On a serious note, she will probably spend quite a bit of time doing girly things with my 4 year old daughter. They both deserve some pampering. They follow Collin all over the state playing ball and never say a peep.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm lucky. My little girl can't wait to get wrenching!! Wifey, not so much. She has volunteered to try her hand at sewing up a shift boot or some upholstery, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious Usudno, did your car arrive?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's scheduled for a delivery tommorow. I haven't heard from jim yet. We have had a rough couple of days. If you followed my short build thread you may have seen Pop mentioned. Unfortunately he passed away in the hospital. He got better for a few days but took a turn and couldn't overcome it. That being said, bugging ol Jim has been the last thing on my mind. When it gets here it will be a welcomed distraction. I'll be sure to post D day pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry to hear about your Pop, I wish you the best in this trying time.

Hopefully the delivery comes off as I am also on Jim's route and like you looking forward to getting my car. I am sure the weather has slowed him down, I also believe I am probably about the last delivery. With yours being a couple of days late that will push me into some time next week.

Best wishes

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    SteveE, I just spoke to Jim about an hour ago. He will be here between 7-8 tomorrow morning. He mentioned that he is roughly 245 miles away from me which I would think would put him here today but it may be more of a logistical issue (number of hours/miles driven in a day). He said he will have to stop about and hour out from my shop. He will give me a ring when he gets on the road. His ETA is between 7-8. I'll keep an eye out for your car. Is it a roadster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of "Pop". He'll be watching as you build; be sure to do him proud.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, Its funny you say that. The last time I was able to see Pop, shortly before his operation, he told my son Collin that we could get started without him but when he gets out of the hospital he would come show us what we did wrong!! I'm sure there will be little silly things that remind us of him during the build. As of now our wood shop is full of Pop's projects and it's hard to go in there and keep it together. I appreciate everyone's sympathies and prayers. My grandfather was a great man and will be missed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, appreciate the update and the look. I went with a GTM. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll keep an eye out!

Post Thanks / Like
    We did everything possible before we ordered our engine. I didn't want the engine sweating in our unheated garage any longer than necessary. As much aluminum work as possible, all the wiring and plumbing was done on our big rolling horses. It saved a lot of sore muscles since we didn't have to bend down to work, and we didn't have to work around tires. I shortened them before we put the engine in and the first start was done on the horses too. The chassis was strapped to the horses all the time.

Sorry to hear about Pop, Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    SteveE.. there were 3 roadsters in front of your GTM. I didn't get a glance at it but Jim said it was back there with a 33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, Thanks for the look. it helps know what's in front as I am trying to judge the delivery as this is much later than I was told getting close to the Holiday. Thanks again and enjoy your build.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries. My son wanted to see a GTM. He was disappointed that it wasn't visible

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is to bad it wasn't visible yet. I have been looking at this and planning it for a long time. The trip I was able to make to Factory Five for the open house last summer got me hooked for sure. Sounds like you are making some good progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been hooked since my freshman year in college. It's truly a blessing to have both a wife that understands my passion and the means to make a dream come true. Good luck on your build!