Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Retirement Relocation Advice - Please Remember the No-Politics Rule

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Retirement Relocation Advice - Please Remember the No-Politics Rule

Hi everyone,

I've been on here since FFR started this forum and have grown to appreciate the advice and wisdom of the many members from around the country. I'm turning to all of you now for a little more personal advice - not the automotive sort.

I'll start with the admission - I live in Illinois.... there, I said it. So as to not run afoul of the no-politics rule, I'll just say that I don't feel very represented in this state, even in my semi-rural location an hour west of Chicago. I was born and raised here, and once-upon-a-time I would have considered myself to be happy with things here... at least in general. But, these days, I find myself counting down to departure day, as I know that there is no way I will retire here for all the reasons many of you have probably read about in the news.

So, that said, my wife and I have been looking at locations where we will someday retire. There are so many great places that we've visited and found to be a possible new home, but we haven't found that perfect mix yet. Being that we're both from the Chicago area originally, we're hoping to replace some of the positives of this area when we relocate.

In no particular order, here are some things I still like about Illinois and would like to find in a new area.....

1) Transportation access - we are conveniently located near two major airports, rail service to the city, and numerous interstates, including old Route 66 and the Lincoln Highway.

2) Fresh water - seems funny to mention this, but it's often something that concerns us when we consider southwest locations.

3) Healthcare - we're still young-ish, but we know that someday it will be helpful to be as close as we are now to some really good hospitals.

4) Faith community - we're faithful Catholics, so having a strong community is a very positive part of our lives.

5) Race tracks - I'm spoiled by the fact that anywhere from one to a few hours, I can be at places like Road America, Autobahn Country Club, Blackhawk Farms, Gingerman, Grattan, and Putnam Park.

6) Quaint small towns - we live just on the outskirts of one of the few remaining touristy small towns this close to the city and we find it a very pleasant place to hang out. In addition, future plans call for a retail venture that will require access to this type of place.

Things I definitely don't like about my home state anymore.....

1) High taxes - need some relief on this, especially from high property taxes and fees.

2) Weather - getting a little tired of winter, although they are sometimes mild, shoveling snow and bitter cold seem wasted in the flatlands... not an issue if we go with a mountain setting, though.

3) Insolvency - fiscal responsibility for the state, county, and local governments is a must for any location that we consider. Even better if there is much more consolidation to government instead of the incredible number of taxing bodies that we face around here.

4) Flatlands - would like a little geographic diversity, some hills, forests, streams, and lakes would be nice.

So, with all that, I'm open to your opinions and welcome your advice.

Thanks!!!!!
    Last edited by Gumball; 07-17-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074