In the midst of working the firewall and engine/trans install prep, I worked on the wiring harness. I decided to give it a shot using mechie3's excellent picture list/wire harness how-to, along with the FSM that I learned how to read. The main things I wanted to were label most of the plugs, figure out what went where, and remove unwanted items. Thus, I removed:
- airbag stuff
- rear door sensors
- rear hatch wiper/defroster/open sensor

and that's about it! I kept radio, ABS, A/C and heat, front door "closed" witches, front door connectors (for power locks), accessory power and so forth. I started on 2/28 and took over the guest room, with the explicit agreement with my wife that I would be done my mid=April when we had guests coming who would actually need the room. Here's what it looked like to start.

IMG_20190303_123514.jpg

In total, I spent just shy of 17 hours (and 3 weeks real-time, finished 3/21) dieting the harness, unwrapping things as I went and then mostly re-wrapping too. I ended up removing about 6+ lbs worth of unneeded wires, connectors, clips, and plastic!

IMG_20190303_180849.jpg

Honestly the final "clean" harness doesn't look that much different than when I started. But now I know way more about it, more about how to read the manual, and I feel tons more confident about tracing any future issues I might have. I was the most worried about the electrical because it seems so complicated, but I'm much less concerned now. Knowledge is power!