BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: no start condition on coyote

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, now I know what you mean by position 5. Personally, I'd be a little careful about applying voltage directly inside the PDB. Measuring OK. But not actively applying voltage. Fortunately I haven't had to go that level.

I mentioned measuring voltage at the three pigtail wires (fuel pump, ignition, start) before. To confirm that the RF harness is doing its part. To Mike's point, the orange EFI wire +12V from the RF harness with the key on "wakes up" the PCM and must be present at all times to keep the engine running. Those three wires, also as I mentioned before, are literally the only wires between the RF harness and the Coyote needed to make it run.

With battery power into the PCM, which it sounds like you have, and the RF harness putting +12V on the ignition and start wires in the pigtail, it should work. If it still doesn't, I'm running out of ideas. I'm assuming you've checked all the fuses in the PDB? The relays not so easy to check. But there are several that are the same, so it would easy to swap positions on them and see if anything changes. Maybe even the PCM is dead or there's a Coyote wiring harness issue. Like I said, running out of ideas. The current version of the Ford Performance instructions has a troubleshooting guide that doesn't look like is showing on your picture of the PDB in the manual. Something you might take a look at. Starting on page 20: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do..._504V_REV3.PDF.

Just to confirm, I'm assuming you have everything else wired up: MAF sensor, top and bottom clutch switches, DBW module (accelerator), all harness plugs including the PCM in the proper locations and fully seated. Also assume you're pushing the clutch down when trying to start. You still should be getting fuel pump running when you turn on the ignition though.

If everything checks OK and the PCM still doesn't seem to be alive, the next call is to Ford Performance IMO. One of their guys (either Ray or Steve, don't remember) is really good with electrical troubleshooting.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-07-2018 at 07:16 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.