Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  62
Likes Likes:  91

Thread: P100DHG Build Thread - Gen 3 Coupe #138

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So my leather embossed horn button needs improvement. The embossing isn’t as deep as I would have hoped. That’s because the leather I am using was from my seats which are upholstered in arm chair leather and embossing upholstery leather doesn’t work so well. After doing some research I have to find the right leather.

But! Recently I saw what might be the most amazing restomod I’ve seen of any car. Totem Automobili took an Alpha Rameo GTV and did some insane stuff to it. I encourage you to look them up. Everything is literally custom made but what really made me think was their steering wheel emblem. Now they didn’t do a horn button but I’m intent on doing one. Worst case scenario it doesn’t work like I planned and I start over. But! What I decided was to try to custom CNC a horn button and I think I did a decent job with my little 3018 CNC machine I bought along side my 3D printer. It took 16 hours to mill not to mention about 100 hours of learning CAD, CNC software and learning about the different types of end mills.

1424E69C-9E15-4F35-BAC4-1525ECB15867.jpg 373B75A9-7E62-4347-98C6-87D39B65295D.jpg 15ECB777-20AD-465C-AE62-9BCAFD65CFAE.jpg

Once again the forum has turned my creations sideways for no apparent reason... for the right side up version try my Instagram.

Anyway I’m sure with better equipment I could do better but it should be good enough to send to the polishers, I’d like them to clean it up and then have it bead blasted and anodized and see if it will make the final cut on the car. I haven’t given up on the leather horn button either. So we will see.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-25-2021 at 03:10 AM.