Hello All,
Took delivery of MKIV Roadster #9423 last Friday. I have been wanting to build one of these for the last fifteen years or so. Now I am fortunate enough to have the means and ability to do so. I have always been interested in mechanical things since I can remember. My father was a heavy machinery mechanic in the construction industry and always did his own auto repairs, building and welding trailers and tractor work. As a kid I would always help him when I could, handing him wrenches and learning as much as my little brain could absorb. Am currently employed as a mechanical engineer and machinist at a small design and build shop building gages and fixtures for the auto industry.
I started a frame off restoration on a '65 GTO when I was 18, (took about 6 years to do) and have been restoring antique farm tractors for the last fifteen years or so. It will sure be nice to assemble a car without having to dissamble a decades old piece of machinery first.
Have been reading build threads on this forum for the last couple of years picking up as much knowledge as I can. What a valuable resource this forum is. I would personally like to thank all who have ever posted to this forum and of course the forum moderator. I think I could almost build the entire car without the manual from all the information and great ideas I have gotten from all the detailed threads and photos that you have posted.
Designed and built a frame dolly that worked out surprisingly well. Wanted the frame up off the ground enough so it was comfortable to work on. In hindsight it could of actually been a couple of inches lower.
I ordered the MKIV complete kit with:
Powder coated frame
Coyote full length headers
Leather seats
Power steering
IRS package, will be installing center section with Torsen diff and 3.73 gears
GPS gauge set
17" wheel and tire package
sway bars
Koni double adjustable shocks
Front and rear Wilwwod brakes
Plan is Coyote crate motor, Gen 2 or 3, not sure yet, and a Tremec tko 600 trans. Would like to do a little road course and autocross racing with the car and of course some spirited driving out on the country roads. I have my uncles 1936 John Deere BR tractor to finish restoring, (almost done) and a little garage refresh to do before I actually start the build. Very exited to get going.
20180905_184025.jpg20180914_114359.jpg20180914_114515.jpg20180914_131938.jpgDSC_5926.jpg