Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    No, no. No snowy roads for me, that was just a side road I stopped on, the canyon road was clear, mostly. In fact, it took 3 or 4 tries to get the roadster backed up that insignificant little hill 20 feet.

You sound like my wife on the white pipes issue, but you might be right. Thanks for the input.
    When I had to drive to Castle Rock last January to do my VIN inspection it was just a couple of days after a pretty good snow. The main roads were mostly clear, but getting from the main road to the inspection facility; a couple of blocks away via snow packed (ice) covered asphalt was "interesting". I got mine out last Saturday for a bit. It was right at the temperature that I needed my heated seats to keep the chill off. This weekend is looking promising for another drive.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    In aviation we didn’t refer to that kind of thing as interesting - it’s a “pucker factor” and given a number from one to ten. One being “well, this is new!” and ten being “OH SH!T!” I would call that trip of yours a pucker factor 6. Rather nerve wracking wasn’t it? I ended up on a snow covered canyon road last spring and it took me a mile of driving 5 mph to turn around.

Even today was nice, I had a jacket on but no seat heat, though the tonneau was on as was the heater.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 12-04-2020 at 11:16 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    The white pipes don’t do it for me but each his own. I think they work if the whole colour combo is made for that as I have seen white pipes on a coupe and they looked good.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, I really like the way Ken Miles’ number 98 looks with dirty white pipes. The big white meatballs probably help.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the northeast, if there's even a prediction of snow, the SALT is laid down like crazy. Once that happens, the toys stay in the garage until a nice, heavy rain storm washes the roads. I gotta move!
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
    In the northeast, if there's even a prediction of snow, the SALT is laid down like crazy. Once that happens, the toys stay in the garage until a nice, heavy rain storm washes the roads. I gotta move!
    I remember that from my days in KC, dirty snow sticking around for a month too. You’d think we’d have the same problem here but the sun does most of the work.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    ... but getting from the main road to the inspection facility; a couple of blocks away via snow packed (ice) covered asphalt was "interesting"...
    A couple of blocks? If you think that was interesting how about 45 miles in 5-6 inches! My late buddy, the great Wade Chamberlain did just that back about 2003 or so:

The story as he told it was that "late day flurries" were predicted but it looked good when he headed out for a lunchtime cruise. He stopped off at a little pub, got interested in a football game on the tube and one thing lead to another. By the time he left there was already snow on the ground and it was coming down HARD---and he was a long way from home! Wade was arguably the fastest Factory Five autocrosser in the country and logged hundreds if not thousands of miles in the rain but said that NOTHING was ever as hairy or terrifying as that drive home

I miss him...

Jeff

Wadesnow.jpg

8. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes Papa, Fixit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    A couple of blocks? If you think that was interesting how about 45 miles in 5-6 inches! My late buddy, the great Wade Chamberlain did just that back about 2003 or so:

The story as he told it was that "late day flurries" were predicted but it looked good when he headed out for a lunchtime cruise. He stopped off at a little pub, got interested in a football game on the tube and one thing lead to another. By the time he left there was already snow on the ground and it was coming down HARD---and he was a long way from home! Wade was arguably the fastest Factory Five autocrosser in the country and logged hundreds if not thousands of miles in the rain but said that NOTHING was ever as hairy or terrifying as that drive home

I miss him...

Jeff

Wadesnow.jpg
    Now that right there is balls! Thankfully he had all season tires. Radial T/A's are better than summer tires at least. I'm sure cleaning the snow from the seats as fun. And that drive after a few beers... Wow 🍻 LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    And no top...that’s definitely a higher pucker factor.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    And no top...that’s definitely a higher pucker factor.
    I’m sure that being cold was not at the top of his concerns!

Jeff

12. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, I really like the way Ken Miles’ number 98 looks with dirty white pipes. The big white meatballs probably help.
    Just my 2 cents: if you want to go with white pipes, you need meatballs. OK, I'll be quiet now.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

14. Likes AdamIsAdam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Just my 2 cents: if you want to go with white pipes, you need meatballs. OK, I'll be quiet now.
    That’s what I think, but then I’d have to come up with a number.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Always thought this one was cool with Daytona style white pipes. Saw this at Grand National Roadster show back in, well, back when there were car shows.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s pretty cool Steve, I like the wheels too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a white roll bar before.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 12-07-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have really enjoyed reading your build thread. Lots of informative tips to learn from.

You mentioned being on the fence about the fresh air vents and wishing you had done them prior to installing the body. I am also on the fence but have yet to do my bodywork so have the opportunity to do it now. The fact that you regretted not doing it along with the detailed description you provided makes it easy for me to go forward.

Two questions now that you have had chance to use them:
    1. On a hot day, do you find that the air coming into the cabin is cooled?
    2. More importantly, have you found that the flexible hose you purchased can handle the heat of the engine especially on the driver side where the headers and side pipes are probably very close to that hose?

Thanks
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your build thread. Lots of great information. Really appreciate it and loved the Video with John Denver!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uggb123 View Post
    I have really enjoyed reading your build thread. Lots of informative tips to learn from.

You mentioned being on the fence about the fresh air vents and wishing you had done them prior to installing the body. I am also on the fence but have yet to do my bodywork so have the opportunity to do it now. The fact that you regretted not doing it along with the detailed description you provided makes it easy for me to go forward.

Two questions now that you have had chance to use them:
    1. On a hot day, do you find that the air coming into the cabin is cooled?
    2. More importantly, have you found that the flexible hose you purchased can handle the heat of the engine especially on the driver side where the headers and side pipes are probably very close to that hose?

Thanks
    Glenn
    Thanks, Glenn, glad to hear it.

No, actually I don't find it to be cooled at all. It is minimal improvement when sitting still, but moving air is always preferable to still air when it's hot. While driving you don't need to run the fan and it does help cool the footwell. I suspect though, that the area the hose runs through in the wheel well and by the headers may be raising the temperature inside the hose just a little. Not sure what to do about that or if it's really happening at all. I'll do more investigation next summer. The hose is actually very capable of handling the heat and I'm glad I found it because it's a lot cheaper. One thing about this hose is it is clear with white wire rather than the original black with red or gray wire.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    Thanks so much for your build thread. Lots of great information. Really appreciate it and loved the Video with John Denver!
    Glad you enjoyed it. I'll do another video this summer as I hear that area of the park now has major burn scars and it'll be interesting to see the difference.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently had a spare trunk lid painted and Bart did my engine covers for me too. Though, I’ll be doing the white lettering myself. Has anyone done this? I’ll be using the Wimbledon white stripe paint and I’ve been told a small paint brush will work as the paint will spread out in the letter recesses. Any thoughts?
    7B987F7C-E011-48CF-8B0D-7F5A79FEED24.jpg
    Last edited by GTBradley; 04-11-2021 at 11:31 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I recent had a spare trunk lid painted and Bart did my engine covers for me too. Though, I’ll be doing the white lettering myself. Has anyone done this? I’ll be using the Wimbledon white stripe paint and I’ve been told a small paint brush will work as the paint will spread out in the letter recesses. Any thoughts?
    7B987F7C-E011-48CF-8B0D-7F5A79FEED24.jpg
    Bradley,

I've not done it, but have seen it done a few times. Be sure the paint is thinned enough to flow freely and use a good brush.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    They make film/decals for this. I did it on my GT350. I believe I got mine from Ben at https://www.bemarofilms.com/onlinestore They have lettering too but 1) it's a bit cluttered looking, and 2) I couldn't be bothered. LOL

20190622_081714_HDR.jpg

20190622_083248.jpg
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave, that’s a good point about thinner.

I’m betting too, Adam that they don’t have it in Wimbledon white and it needs to match what is already there on the main cover. Nice idea though.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 03-12-2021 at 04:00 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave, that’s a good point about thinner.

I’m betting too, Adam that the don’t have it in Wimbledon white and it needs to match what is already there.
    Try this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another one:

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, you have outdone yourself! I am promoting you to head of research.

It comes with a hefty increase over what you were getting.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 10-19-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have almost everything I need to assemble my luggage rack:
    Spare MK4 trunk lid - painted
    Late 50s Porsche rack
    T-handle
    License plate bracket/light
    Carriage bolts and thick SS washers
    1950s leather Sampsonite luggage
    Leather straps with buckles

I just need to figure out some stand offs.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 03-13-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check with Ben in that link. He makes custom anything in many colors.
    Adam

31. Thanks GTBradley, Nigel Allen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have almost everything I need to assemble my luggage rack:
    Spare MK4 trunk lid - painted
    Late 50s Porsche rack
    T-handle
    License plate light
    Carriage bolts and thick SS washers
    1950s leather Sampsonite luggage
    Leather straps with buckles

I just need to figure out some stand offs.
    Look at what McMaster-Carr has for unthreaded spacers:

McMaster-Carr Page:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/Standoffs/unthreaded-spacers
    Last edited by Papa; 03-12-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, thanks, I think I found the SS spacers I need at the hardware store, as I wanted to work on it this weekend. I’m thinking the washers should be separated from the paint by rubber washers, so I guess I’ll make another trip in the snow tomorrow.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll have a hard time finding rubber washers. If you look in the plumbing section, you can find sheets of rubber in various thicknesses. Pretty easy to make your own washers from that.

When I built my FFR, nobody was making any kind of washer or spacer to fit under the hood hinges. I made some out of the top of a coffee can. Worked well for more than a decade, and almost invisible.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice, Bob. So, I’m curious, why is the hood hinge spacer needed?

Ace actually had a wide selection of rubber and fiber washers, gotta love that Big Toolbox for their nuts and bolts department!
    Last edited by GTBradley; 03-13-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice, Bob. So, I’m curious, why is the hood hinge spacer needed?

Ace actually had a wide selection of rubber and fiber washers, gotta love that Big Toolbox for their nuts and bolts department!
    Sorry. I meant trunk hinge. Not hood.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my coil covers done, but it was a steep learning curve. I wanted to use the original body paint, but it turns out it will react with the clear coat and wrinkle.

The solution was to use enamel paint, though the color is not exact, as I mixed it myself.

The process is pretty simple if you're careful. My gloss enamel paint and applicator are both from Micheals hobby store. Just be careful to keep the paint from getting on things you don't want it on and it will self-level and climb the sides evenly.

I just have the stripe on the engine cover to do and hopefully then I can leave this alone for a while, at least until I change my mind on what I want...again.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 04-11-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very good to me

39. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, Bradley!

41. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That's going to attract a crowd.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

43. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got my coil covers done, but it was a steep learning curve. I wanted to use the original body paint, but it turns out it will react with the clear coat and wrinkle.

The solution was to use enamel paint, though the color is not exact, as I mixed it myself.

The process is pretty simple if you're careful. My gloss enamel paint and applicator are both from Micheals hobby store. Just be careful to keep the paint from getting on things you don't want it on and it will self-level and climb the sides evenly.

I just have the stripe on the engine cover to do and hopefully then I can leave this alone for a while, at least until I change my mind on what I want...again.

that's awesome! I really wish the 3rd gen had valve cover 'covers'!!!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I hear ya, I’m not really a fan of any of the Coyote engine covers. It makes me want a super charger just for the looks - that would be a good use of $8000 dollars
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome! You have way more patience than I do and you'd never know that wasn't an exact paint match. Your car is really incredible.
    MK4 Complete Kit, EFI 427W/TKO 600, 2015 IRS
    Ordered: 11/6/20, Kit Completion: 2/13/21, Picked Up: 2/16/21, Build Started: 2/19/21, First Start: 6/13/21, Go Kart: 8/15/21, Sent for Paint: 12/23/21, Back From Paint: 6/16/22, Street Legal: 7/11/22

47. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I hear ya, I’m not really a fan of any of the Coyote engine covers. It makes me want a super charger just for the looks - that would be a good use of $8000 dollars
    That's an excellent use of $8K!
    .boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

49. Likes GTBradley liked this post
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast