BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally received the brake duct boots from **********, so I installed those in the last couple of evenings.

I don't anticipate having any weight on these and so I attached them with silicone caulk. If anyone has experience with a better way to attach them I'd appreciate the knowledge.

This is easier to do than I was thinking, so it didn't take a lot of time, though letting the caulk set does take a while - I think the instructions say fully cured in 3 to 7 days. The boots need to be trimmed to fit the duct opening on the body, so I used a band saw to trim the top and bottom opening of the plastic boots and siliconed and temporarily zip-tied them to the car. The only thing left is to attach the duct hose and I'll be ready to put the wheels back on. I should say too that I have removed the screen material from the body opening as I've decided to go with the original look. I don't expect debris or live bugs entering the system to be a problem, but if they are I'll add screen further down the line where it can't be seen.

One other thing I did was to remove the horseshoe brackets that are intended to support the fender up front. I have been reading on a recent thread that the overrider bolts and grommets serve this purpose and that the horseshoe brackets have a tendency to cause cracks in the body. This was very timely information as the brackets would have prevented installation of the boots. Thanks to Jeff Kliener and Jeff Miller for sharing their knowledge about the subject (body shims...yes, I used termite food, larger bolt tubes and grommets around the campfire - whatever that means...)

Last edited by GTBradley; 07-30-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

2. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3500 Mile Report - Likes and Dislikes

I decided to report on the things that are working for me and the things that are annoyances. In the video I relate my take on mods and option choices and the wear I'm experiencing at 3500 miles, all done in my first year on the road.

16 minutes of me prattling on about my car is probably not how you want to spend your time, so here is a contents list with times so you can jump to what you do want to hear about:
    00:00 Mileage
    00:35 Oil
    00:50 Brake fluid
    01:00 Brakes
    01:23 Hill/Parking brake
    01:45 MAF and filter issue
    02:10 Clutch cable issue
    02:25 Tires
    02:50 Radiator protection
    03:40 Cabin ventilation system
    04:10 Whitby soft top
    04:45 FFR radiator expansion tank
    05:50 Two-speed radiator fan controller
    06:35 Aluminum panels
    07:45 Breeze Automotive cubby
    08:25 Dog harness
    08:40 FFR leather seats
    09:23 Clear spats
    09:55 RT drop trunk
    10:44 Luggage rack plans
    11:38 Whitby tonneau
    12:25 Soft top, again
    12:38 Windscreen wipers
    13:08 Spinners and 17" wheels
    14:34 IRS
    14:55 Coyote gas pedal and limited right foot space
    15:50 Solid-state turn signals
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool video Bradley. If I could start over again, I would have definitely put in the rear cubby. Cup holders only hold so much. You can try out my 17" wide Kirkey seats in Oct.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi GTBradley. I watched your review video a couple times. This is the first video review of this type I've seen. As a new builder getting close to starting my MK4 build, I found your perspective quite helpful. For example, not spending the bucks and time investment on PCing panels is something I'm seriously considering. I ordered the Gen 3 Coyote, and because of its size there's just not much of the engine bay panels visible (as you just demonstrated in your video). Thanks for your investment in the F5 building community!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    Cool video Bradley. If I could start over again, I would have definitely put in the rear cubby. Cup holders only hold so much. You can try out my 17" wide Kirkey seats in Oct.
    If you decide you want the cubby they can be put in after completion. Those cup holders are what I’m struggling to do without. I’m being a snob about them since I remember when they became widely available in the 80s...in minivans!
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Hi GTBradley. I watched your review video a couple times. This is the first video review of this type I've seen. As a new builder getting close to starting my MK4 build, I found your perspective quite helpful. For example, not spending the bucks and time investment on PCing panels is something I'm seriously considering. I ordered the Gen 3 Coyote, and because of its size there's just not much of the engine bay panels visible (as you just demonstrated in your video). Thanks for your investment in the F5 building community!
    Glad I could help, though it looks like you know what you’re doing already. I’m frugal at heart and I don’t like to do things unless I fully agree with the benefit. When it comes to the roadster, money and time I don’t want to lose and weight I do and those things tend to go hand in hand.

FYI, you might look into a little moding on the foot box by the gas pedal while you still have access. I wish I had.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great video, Bradley! Really glad to hear how you're enjoying your car and how well it's all turned out!
    2018 Factory Five Mk IV, Gen 2 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, complete kit, standard brakes and rear axle;
    Delivered: 5 Sept 2018
    First start: 31 Aug 2019
    First go-cart: 22 Sept 2019
    Basically done except paint: May 2020
    Graduation: June 2021

9. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Inflatable Lumbar Support Mod

On the longer trips I've noticed that the standard FFR leather seats are lacking in lumbar support, so I researched lumbar pillows on Amazon and came up with a nice solution.

I cut the stitching on the bag and removed the foam and bladder pillow, then pulled the air bladder out of the foam too. I didn't want the extra foam thickness because the seat is fine for short drives as is, so without the foam it's unnoticeably thin. I put the bladder back in the fabric covering and sewed the fabric bag in such a way that the bladder wouldn't move around. I haven't used a sewing machine since 9th grade Bachelors Survival class, and this made my wife a little nervous, but it was easy! I had to remove the seat to install, but I wanted to add some padding on both sides of the base and reposition the seat about a half inch farther back anyway. I positioned the air bladder in what felt like the correct location and routed the hand pump and hose so that it would lay just behind the seat on the right side out of sight.

In the picture I have the lumbar pumped up more than usual to illustrate where it is. Eddie (Rickenbacker) and I went for a test-drive last night (ice-cream for both of us) and it appears to work very well. I won't know for sure until that 3rd/4th hour of continuous driving if it's really what I need, but that will happen soon enough as I have a trip in October that will be 1400 miles+, so I'll update again on my experience.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 06:04 PM.
    Bradley

11. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I think any modification that makes the car more comfortable is with doing. Eddie looks like he approves.
    Happy driving.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing that. I have a bad back and can't sit in a seat without good lumbar support for very long at all, so I need to do something similar to my seats.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Very nice. I think any modification that makes the car more comfortable is with doing. Eddie looks like he approves.
    Happy driving.
    -Steve
    Eddie approves of ice-cream. The first start scared the begeezous out of him, but after a few rides with ice-cream as the pay off he is becoming a big fan.

Yeah, those seats are becoming pretty high-tech, what with hi/low heat pads in the base and the back, the strategically positioned additional padding, the breeze mounts and now the lumbar support. Maybe a messager next?...
    Last edited by GTBradley; 08-24-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Eddie approves of ice-cream. The first start scared the begeezous out of him, but after a few rides with ice-cream as the pay off he is becoming a big fan.

Yeah, those seats are becoming pretty high-tech, what with hi/low heat pads in the base and the back, the strategically positioned additional padding, the breeze mounts and now the lumbar support. Maybe a messager next?...
    Take it to the next level, Bradley ....

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing that. I have a bad back and can't sit in a seat without good lumbar support for very long at all, so I need to do something similar to my seats.
    That sucks, I don't have back problems generally, but the long trip does me in. This was easy and reversible, so you might give it a try.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    That was strange, I can tell you edited to replace the picture, but I was going to say on that first chair that when I got married my wife made me get rid of the same one.

PS. that guy is smiling just a bit too much
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    That was strange, I can tell you edited to replace the picture, but I was going to say on that first chair that when I got married my wife made me get rid of the same one.

PS. that guy is smiling just a bit too much
    Yeah -- the first one I posted just wasn't high-tech enough.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

Lol, this would qualify for turning it up all the way to 11!
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

20. Likes GTBradley, Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, this would qualify for turning it up all the way to 11!
    May need a bigger car...and a kegerator...and a chauffeur...
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for such a good build read! Question about your top, did you have to set your windshield like the FFR top? Is this something you can decide to do after you've had your car for awhile?

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it helped.

We did set the windscreen to 53 degrees...I think that is the correct number. However, this can be changed at any time, its just easier to have the painter do it when you know you will be using a top. I kind of like the more raked back look anyway.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it helped.

We did set the windscreen to 53 degrees...I think that is the correct number. However, this can be changed at any time, its just easier to have the painter do it when you know you will be using a top. I kind of like the more raked back look anyway.
    Thank you, appreciate the input!

25. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After giving it a lot of thought and getting quotes that ranged from $550 to $3000 to powder coat all the panels I've decided to go the JKleiner route. My panels will be natural with the visible ones cleaned, scored and treated with clear enamel.
    Hello GTBradley,

Enjoying your thread! I will be doing pretty much the same build, also with Coyote/TKO600 from Forte--though I wasn't able to score free shipping [bummer!]. Regarding your choice for treating the panels, you mentioned doing the Kleiner method. I like the finished look of what you did. I'm not too excited about the $$ for PC option, so think I'm settled on following what you did. Do you have a link or info. to share on how you "prepped" the panels before applying the Duplicolor? Also, did you use two coats of the gloss clear w/ceramic? Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember Where I saw it, but it was one of the first posts that I saw by Jeff Kliener. The technique is pretty simple but requires some labor. Basically, you just rub the panel down with scotch brite and acetone in the direction you want the grain to show. You’ll be able to tell when you’re done when the marks in the panel that you don't want are gone. Use some heavy-duty rubber gloves and this will help keep the finger prints out until you can get a clear coat on it. I did do two coats of the clear.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Index added, see first page.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and five minutes later:

I honestly laughed out loud. Heartily! Very funny.

Enjoying your thread. Kind of did it backwards by watching your completion drive video, and now going back to the beginning to see where it all started. Great documentation. Very helpful, and I'm duly noting a number of tips, etc. Thanks!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    I honestly laughed out loud. Heartily! Very funny.

Enjoying your thread. Kind of did it backwards by watching your completion drive video, and now going back to the beginning to see where it all started. Great documentation. Very helpful, and I'm duly noting a number of tips, etc. Thanks!
    Whatever do you mean by funny?

Ha, seriously, I did that because I was certain no one would enjoy seeing me put together the instrument panel and there are so many others that did a great job of documenting those steps. In fact, that was my philosophy on the entire build thread - where I was able to contribute I did and otherwise I spared the reader the anguish. Glad it’s helpful.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to let you know you have some great ideas for up grades like the fan speed controller etc. I would like to PM you to ask some questions if that would be ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, any time. Are you in Kansas?
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am in Kansas, Wichita. I was wondering who you used in KC to paint I have an apartment on the Plaza so it is a normal drive for me.
    Would it be easier to PM. I am ordering the fan controller and stuff for cooling system, but where did you find the ducts for the front openings.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up near the Plaza, I may end up there again, you never know. I got the ducts for the air vents mod from Finish Line Accessories and Bart Jones is the painter in Grain Valley - good guy. I sent you a PM with details.

PS There is another builder I just helped a little in the Wichita area, you might want to connect - Dieter123.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody know what this is?

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't save mine, but that looks a lot like what's left after building an amazing car.

37. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 pound, 1 once of rivet tails - I saved them all. After separating out the chaff, 10 ounces were steel and 7 ounces were aluminum.

And now they look like this:
    120EFEF3-6F89-4DD3-9B30-4C0514A46383.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GTBradley; 11-07-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    Bradley

39. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, very cool. Mask off the stripes and paint it the color of your car. Awesome paperweight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, very cool. Mask off the stripes and paint it the color of your car. Awesome paperweight.
    I was thinking of making a small plaque for the dash. But I could totally do that, because Evan and I melted down all the car scrap, including the cut off spindle ears.
    A159A736-9C38-4E18-B9E5-0C2CEDB53422.jpeg
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of making a small plaque for the dash. But I could totally do that, because Evan and I melted down all the car scrap, including the cut off spindle ears.
    A159A736-9C38-4E18-B9E5-0C2CEDB53422.jpeg
    Ha! That is very cool Bradley. Very fun to see.
    2018 Factory Five Mk IV, Gen 2 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, complete kit, standard brakes and rear axle;
    Delivered: 5 Sept 2018
    First start: 31 Aug 2019
    First go-cart: 22 Sept 2019
    Basically done except paint: May 2020
    Graduation: June 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a trip through Rocky Mountain National Park on Monday to celebrate the graduation of the car. I made a video of it and it came out pretty nice:

Nice video. I LOVE the mountains. I need to move!

Hey, is that some sort of hat tether you have? Ingenious! Does it work? I'm always afraid of losing my hat and wind up not wearing it. Did you say you were an RPI guy? Figures

EDIT: Ordered myself up some hat tethers. Gotta love Amazon, and this forum! I have to read more build threads. Great info in here! Thanks for taking the time to document.
    Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 11-27-2020 at 07:30 PM.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the tethers are more piece of mind than anything. I did find a hat that fit better and don’t even use a tether with it. The baseball caps do get to rockin around when I pass semi trucks so the tether is a good idea with those.

Rpi? Raspberry pi? Yes, but I don’t know if that’s what you meant.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for fun I painted the old FFR pipes white and swapped out my polished Gas-Ns. I took it for a canyon drive today and I have to say, I like the sound, but they are definitely too loud. The white is kind of interesting - any input from the peanut gallery? And yes, the paint is coming off at the turn out. Stupidly, I used regular primer and high-temp paint over it...it didn’t even occur to me until I was done. No matter though, if I do it for real I’ll get ceramic.

Bradley

46. Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This peanut gallery guy thinks you are the man for driving your beast on snowy roads!!!

Your car needs chrome/polished pipes to match your roll bar and wheels. White pipes only look good on Daytonas imo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
    This peanut gallery guy thinks you are the man for driving your beast on snowy roads!!!

Your car needs chrome/polished pipes to match your roll bar and wheels. White pipes only look good on Daytonas imo
    No, no. No snowy roads for me, that was just a side road I stopped on, the canyon road was clear, mostly. In fact, it took 3 or 4 tries to get the roadster backed up that insignificant little hill 20 feet.

You sound like my wife on the white pipes issue, but you might be right. Thanks for the input.
    Bradley

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast