Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Build #422 Underway

Post Thanks / Like

Build #422 Underway

Ok, all parts are back from powdercoat and I finally was able to start the front suspension build-up. I'm very new to this but I think this went very well with no problems. Had a couple of large washers that I did not find noted in the manual. Wish I had the knowledge to incorporate a lot of personal touches I see in other builds...maybe the next build?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike6568; 10-13-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow,thats purdy!!!!!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Yea, everyone ends up with the "mystery washers" when they put the front end on. You even got the lower control arms and calipers on correctly (yes, even seasoned builders have made some mistakes)

One word of caution, the more big parts you put on, the harder it is to put on small stuff like brake lines and fuel lines, stuff like that. Just think ahead a little and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reassurance...I'm onto the pedal box (rear end on hold, until 3-Link parts are back from powder coat). I must have something really backwards, my master cylinders appear to be on the right pedal? I'm pretty sure most cars have the brake on the left...no I'm fairly positive of this...gonna go check my Tundra to be sure the brake is on the left.

Yep, brake is definitely on the left!

I'm off to study pictures of your build to see why this is "seems" to be reversed...

(Please God, let Arrowhead have posted pictures of the pedal box in his build page!)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Looks great! Yea, everyone ends up with the "mystery washers" when they put the front end on. You even got the lower control arms and calipers on correctly (yes, even seasoned builders have made some mistakes)

One word of caution, the more big parts you put on, the harder it is to put on small stuff like brake lines and fuel lines, stuff like that. Just think ahead a little and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    your kidding right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly yes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok..thinking ahead, does anyone see any possible problems with the way I mounted the brake reservoirs and lines (pics attached). I stayed away from the top rail as noted in other builds and tried to keep the distance and height similar to the build pics I've seen. My kit only included four self tapping screws, not the aluminum brackets I've seen in other posts.

For those I have not yet been introduced to, I'm a first time novice builder. Thank you for your patience, and any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_0924.JPGIMG_0925.JPGIMG_0929.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike6568 View Post
    ...Wish I had the knowledge to incorporate a lot of personal touches I see in other builds...maybe the next build?
    Don't worry, you're just getting started!! I'd call a SBC a personal touch...

Your engine is beautiful, even if it IS from the dark side...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks...Its a stock photo from EngineFactory, mine isn't here quite yet. But we'll call it "The Chosen One".

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Don't worry, you're just getting started!! I'd call a SBC a personal touch...

Your engine is beautiful, even if it IS from the dark side...

Post Thanks / Like
    Spring T-Ball is over, now back to the build!

I'm as far as page 158 in the build and waiting for the engine and transmission. I knew when I ordered my '33 I'd get to this point and have to wait. I thought better to pull the trigger and get started then wait. I'm sure I can find a few more things to do until the engine and transmission arrive (hopefully late fall).
    1.JPG
    2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    As the pedal box comes, the pedal on the right is the brake and that is because the throttle pedal is not included and is separately mounted to the firewall. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the follow up, looking back at this it seems crazy this tripped me up for a couple of hours...but I also can't believe how much I've learned the last three months. The forums and build pages (yours included) have answered a lot of questions along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    As the pedal box comes, the pedal on the right is the brake and that is because the throttle pedal is not included and is separately mounted to the firewall. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    The day is finally here, I saved up enough to order my engine. Mike from Fortes Parts Connection was great to work with and patient with a beginner. I can't wait to see it all come together, if everything goes well, the motor should be ready in the next couple of weeks. Once it's on the Dyno I should have pictures to post...this is almost as tough as waiting for delivery day!

Post Thanks / Like
    What engine are you going with. I have an Mk4 and I just ordered. A hot rod I am still not sure why to use

Post Thanks / Like
    Growing up my Dad had Chevy Street Rods and 60's Vettes, so I went with what was familiar... a SBC (350) and 700R4 transmission. That should push it around fairly well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that'll push it around nicely.

Looking good so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a very rewarding weekend and thought I'd post a few pictures. The engine isn't the "proposed" motor that I posted earlier; as the reality of a budget has set in. The motor is a SBC 350 GM Performance Crate Motor (sorry to half of the readers), it was turnkeyed and dyno tuned by Mike Forte who did a great job. Almost ready for that first start and cruise thru the neighborhood. Thanks for viewing.....Install.JPGSide View.JPGFront View.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all...thought I'd post some progress pics on #422. Doors have been fit and aligned, interior handles installed, and remote door poppers are in (I think this is my biggest deviation from keeping this as simple as possible). Waterfall is almost done and trunk is fit to the body. Thanks for the help from all I've talked to thus far. Hopefully these pictures upload correctly... I can't figure out how to have them show up like others? 2.JPG 1.JPG
    Last edited by Mike6568; 01-15-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, pictures show up fine, if you want them full size in your post you'll need to host them online somewhere (flickr, facebook, your ISP, etc.) and after clicking "insert image" use the right-side tab at the top of the popup to type in (or cut/paste) the URL (like "http://www.yourpage.com/sicksmallblock.jpg"). Outstanding job on it though, I'll be looking forward to more pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Build is really comming along, looks great!

The only thing I'd caution you about with the brake fluid resivoirs is getting to them with the body on. Even with the cowl access holes cut, it will be tough to check/add fluid. If you put them higher, and more accessable, then they are in the way to get to the hardtop/roadster windshield bolts. I finally gave up and just mounted them on the outside of the firewall.

Ok..thinking ahead, does anyone see any possible problems with the way I mounted the brake reservoirs and lines (pics attached). I stayed away from the top rail as noted in other builds and tried to keep the distance and height similar to the build pics I've seen.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I'd caution you about with the brake fluid resivoirs is getting to them with the body on. Even with the cowl access holes cut, it will be tough to check/add fluid. If you put them higher, and more accessable, then they are in the way to get to the hardtop/roadster windshield bolts. I finally gave up and just mounted them on the outside of the firewall.

Do you have a picture Arrowhead of where you mounted them on the outside firewall?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a couple of CNC resivoirs. They are a tight fit between the hinges and the engine, but I have a lot more access through the cowl access holes now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Arrowhead, you were right, they really sat down in there too low. I fabricated a bracket that sets them up higher but hopefully leaves enough room to get to the bolts for the hard top. I'll recheck it once I get to the fitting of the hard top.

Post Thanks / Like
    DSCN1361.JPGLike Arrowhead, I selected to mount mine on the outside of the firewall for ease of getting into the pedal box. I also have a/c and the tubes will be running across the top of my pedal box to the vent. I just hate cramped spaces and avoid them as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    After many, many hours working on the hood, here is how she looks today. Hood latch, hinges and pins are all working together with each other. I had to cut open a small hole on the underside of the hood and re-glass in a new aluminum brace; as it came unattached when I drilled the holes for the pin bracket. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the gas shocks but has anyone had a problem with the expansion tank being in the way? Maybe more adjustments are needed.... 33.jpgHood.jpg
    Last edited by Mike6568; 02-17-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, I was wondering what door poppers you used and where you got them. I want to do the same on my build, I don't want exterior door handles. Thanks for the help. Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Hey Mike, I was wondering what door poppers you used and where you got them. I want to do the same on my build, I don't want exterior door handles. Thanks for the help. Evan
    I bought a complete set from Summit, they are made by Electric Life (Part 99800). I'm waiting until I get to the windows to install them, as I want to make sure the solenoids aren't in the way, they are about 2" in diameter. Maybe someone who has done this could help us determine the best place to install the solenoid.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Your build is looking really good. That was my next question about the install process. I will check back to see if you have installed them, I am a ways away from that project. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    The New York State required bumpers are on...1.JPG3.JPG2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The New York State required bumpers are on...
    That'll do. Hope you did a better job of attaching them than I did. Mine fell off as soon as I got it home from instection!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think they're going anywhere...I used like 5 hot glue sticks on each side.
    Last edited by Mike6568; 03-04-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #422 had a busy day with the final exhaust install at 8:00 am and alignment at 2:30. In case anyone was wondering at least as far back as #422 the front end does not need any modifications and was able to be dialed in per the FFR specs (some of the earlier builds needed the tie rod end shortened). It attracted a lot of attention at both shops and several people were able to identify it as a Factory Five. I think I'll be going thru the New York registration process by mid-June....not finished but legal.Rollback.JPGExhaust Install.JPGExhaust.JPGAlignment.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Mark Engle from the New York State DMV gave me the thumbs up today on step One of the NYS Registration Process. He was very helpful and genuinely wants to help. I'm still in gelcoat and limited interior, but legal and safe enough to get it on the road. She tipped the scales at 2,240...

Post Thanks / Like
    #422 successfully completed the New York Registration process. The car isn't finished but this will give me a chance to work any bugs out before it goes to the body shop for completion. Attached picture is minutes after the inspection so it's got all of the required safety equipment. Also in the picture is Roadster number 6411 whose owner trailered the Hot Rod around for it's final inspections (Thanks Tom!). The first 100 miles this weekend have been incredible, it's still sinking in that I built this!

Special thanks to the Factory Five Tech Team, Erik Hansen (33 Machine), Mike Forte, Chuck McCall, Ted Hoffman for answering all of my "dumb" questions and helping me get this far. I couldn't have done it with out the folks in this Forum. THANK YOU!

'33 and Roadster.JPGspeakers.JPG
    Last edited by Mike6568; 06-24-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank 33Machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job! Nice feeling to have all that behind you isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Arrowhead, what a feeling! We're really down to cosmetics (final gaps, bodywork, paint) at this point. Now I can sit back and tweak things here and there. Can't wait to leave work and take it out for a cruise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it was a fun summer, but I have a feeling she will be seeing a lot more of the garage soon. Started the bodywork, and almost ready to send it to the body shop for final work and paint. The hard top fit fairly well, needed a little grinding on underside to get even fit. But overall, it worked out well. Body.JPGCruisin.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Mike, it looks amazing! Congrats. Hopefully I can get mind to the registration process by the end of the year...thats the goal anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! looking forward to seeing yours with the body mounted and those wheels, nice combo with the tires too. I parked it today after a cruise to Watkins Glen, looks like 28 degrees tonight. How do I get one of those California addresses...I hate winter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, That's why I am only at my western New York lake house in the summer and spend the rest of the year here in Florida! Seriously though, I plan to tow my finished 33 to the lake next year in early June. We're just south of Rochester on Conesus Lake. ERIC
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast