I've decided to start a build thread so that other newbies can learn from my adventures and also to serve as a kind of peer review from all the talented and helpful builders out there. I called FFR today and Dave B said they were pulling my parts as we spoke so I'm guessing Stewart transportation will be calling soon with a delivery date and asking for me to spend more money :-).

I've been itching to do this project for a long time. Initially, I wanted to restore a 66 Mustang or a 240Z like I had in college but most of the cars I could find were rust buckets needing a lot more metal work than I could handle. Instead, I decided that the FFR Roadster is going to scratch that itch just fine. I know there is going to be a huge learning curve to get over but like most journeys of a 1000 miles, it starts with a first step. I joined this forum a while back and read through several build threads to get a feel of the scope of work involved and talent required. Then I started hanging out at my local cars and coffee. Met several Mk IV owners (a few Superformance and Backdraft owners too!) and started asking questions. I then took advantage of some cheap summer airfare and visited the FFR factory. I tried on all of the cars in the showroom to see what fit me best (I'm 6'2" 200 lbs). The FIA MK IV Roadster they had fit me like a glove. Jim Schenck wandered into the showroom and I pestered him with more newbie questions. Dan G then came out and gave us the factory tour. Geez they were busy! I didn't even try to get in the coupe they had in the showroom. I was worried I might not be able to get back out without asking for help and making a scene. Turns out my fears were over cautious. After my factory tour, I reached out to a couple of local builders in my area, VAHokie and Boss 427. They were at opposite ends of the build sequence so that gave me a lot of insight into where to start and how to finish. Thanks guys! I then went to the build school where I got a few more assembly tips and more hands on experience. It was money well spent and I think I graduated Cum Laude ;-)

Up to this point I had only sat in a Mk IV. But what really sealed the deal for me was that on the way home from the build school I stopped off at EdwardB house to check out his gorgeous 20th anniversary Roadster. After about 1.5 hours of Paul being very patient and me asking more newbie questions, Paul asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Heck Yeah! It was a fabulous riding car and the product of a true craftsman. The power, sound and handling were unlike any car I've ever ridden in. I was hooked after that. All of the builders I've met to date really set a high bar. I just hope I can come close to the level of what they've created and pay it forward when I can.

Enough rambling. Here is what my build is going to look like:
Complete Kit
Powder coating
Power Steering
Hydraulic clutch
Dual roll bars
IRS
Wilwood brakes
Leather steering wheel
17" Halibrand wheels
Competition dash
Usual breeze upgrades

For the go pedal:
Blue Print Engines 347
Tremec TKO600
Hydraulic release bearing

Boss 427 has been a big help. He dropped off the chassis dolly for me. Looks like I'll be builder #3 on it

I'll also started to tool up my garage and work shop. At the build school, one of the other students highly recommended the cordless Milwaukee Rivet gun. I picked one up and so far it seems to work great.
Pictures to follow.

Thanks to all who care to follow along on my adventures (and misadventures!)

Frank Smith