Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Graduate Roadster #8650!

Post Thanks / Like

Please Graduate Roadster #8650!

It’s time to graduate 8650! I believe that this build is a good example that a non-expert can succeed at this effort. I thought I knew what I was getting into and I thought I knew what I was doing. I came up short on both counts! I learned a lot and hope I can share (in fact I hope I have shared) much of what I learned with others.

To start, let’s cover the basics:

Mark IV Roadster, complete kit. Delivered 7-17-15 by Stewart. There was nothing subtle about a 53’ trailer lumbering down my street emblazoned with Factory Five graphics…
    IRS (Thunderbird style)
    Gen II Ford 5.0 Coyote
    Tremec TKO-600
    17” Hallibrands
    Nitto NT05 tires all around 255/40 front and 315/35 rear
    Body cutouts
    Two (chromed) roll bars
    Chromed side pipes
    Shorty headers and J-pipes (I would choose four-into-fours next time)
    Wind wings
    Sun visors
    Big and tall leather seats
    Over-riders, no hoops.
    Wilwood brakes
    Wipers
    Heater (probably more trouble than it was worth)

Modifications:
    Mid-shift
    RT turn signal
    FFMetal trunk-mounted battery box
    RT drop trunk box
    Power steering
    Breeze radiator shroud
    Metco driveshaft safety hoop
    Backup light
    Cobra heat seat heaters
    Body/paint by Jeff Kleiner

Acknowledgements
    Having been a salesperson, I’d say “I built it all by myself!”. But the fact of the matter is that I got a lot of help on this project. In no specific order:

Jeff Kleiner – lots of encouragement and technical support before and after his “official involvement”
    Matt S – helped with the IRS center section and inspected my brakes
    Dan T – helped install the Coyote and lots of other things
    Ted H – (airplane builder) helped with lots of things
    Dan B – helped install the Coyote and made a road trip to Bloomington
    Dave Hodgkins – early inspiration and excellent BBQ host
    Tony Zullo: his advice – “Do the coyote. That’s the best option” or something to that effect
    Dan Golub: he learned very quickly how much I didn’t know…
    My wife Nancy. Her only requirement: that she be able to keep her car in the garage. Other than maybe three nights, I think I kept that commitment over the 4+ years!

Paul “edwardb” – lots of help, especially with Coyote wiring
    Scott “wareagelscott” – always put up with my questions and provided a lot of help
    David “ducky2009” – sounding board, parts expert, and answer man
    King “2bking” – engineering sounding board, especially on the mid-shift
    Chris “gumball” – provided early support and a body buck
    Steve “GoDadGo” – how could he NOT be an inspiration?
    I probably missed a lot of forum members. Please insert your name here! (and excuse the omission!)

At the outset, I expected this build would take 2 ½ years. I missed that by a little – it took me 4 years and 8 months. Whatever. I feel like I built this car three times – a lot of things got done over, and sometimes over and over. I dealt with leaks in the fuel system, the cooling system and the braking system. I dealt with wiring problems. In fact, you name it, I learned by error. But I got it done.

I drove this car to Jeff Kleiner’s place on November 4, 2019. It was cold and windy and I froze my head and left shoulder. (Butt was fine!) It is 268 miles (according to Google maps) from my place to his. In hindsight, I can say that by no stretch of the imagination was this car road-worthy at that point. Even though it was registered. Considering the problems I have had since the car came home, it is truly a miracle that I made it there in one piece! Once it got home, I had a heater bypass valve go bad, I had a 90 degree quick lok fitting go bad, I had wiring issues with the headlights and signal lights and I had an oil pan fitting that was leaking like a sieve. I think the good Lord wanted me to get there in one piece, which I did. He also aligned everything so I could bring the car home in a trailer!

I have completed every item on my list to be able to say that construction is “complete”. Is it done? Heck no! This will never be done. I have improvements I’d like to make and a few things I’d like to have checked and re-done. Like camber on the rear wheels. Like a shorter PS belt that I have but have been putting off installing. Like a hydraulic arm to hold up the trunk. Whatever. It’s been a wonderful ride, and she is always a wonderful ride. I’m so glad I embarked on this adventure and appreciate the help and friendship of all of you in going down this road. They call academic graduations “commencements” because they signify a new stage. I believe the same holds true here: I’m just commencing a new stage of roadster ownership!

Some photos:

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

2. Thanks Paul Hagan thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulation From The Swamp!

Well Done Al, Well Done!

Thank for the shout out too.

4. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done! My car is following a very similar path. I am planning my trip to Jeff, probably winter time too.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

6. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Al. I'm 18mo into my build. What a journey, isn't it? Paint scheme is nice. Reminds me of Ironman!

8. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! What's the color on the body?
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

10. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go, Al - looking good! Always appreciated your sense of humor throughout.

Best,

-Karl
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

12. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Always fun to see another done. Great job. Hope there are others around so you can cruise with them. These cars are a blast driving down the road together. Have fun and get a video up soon.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

14. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's one stunning car...congratulations on a well executed project ...but....when you think you're done you'll think of something else...and you know it..

Jet..

16. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

18. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Very Nice!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

20. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Beautiful! What's the color on the body?
    The main color is (Lexus) Brandywine; the stripe is Ford (2005) Bronze.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

22. Thanks Papa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats enjoy

24. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the graduation Al, really nice looking build. We will have to talk in person one of these days, I'm about 10 miles south of Morris IL not too far away. Building 9735
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

26. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Very nice and now you have all summer to enjoy her.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

28. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Al! It has been a pleasure working with you on it---now go enjoy some time behind the wheel

Jeff

30. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, and great learning experience isn't it? Now go enjoy it. We've finally been able to get ours out. Took a nice cruise last Sunday. Just doesn't get any better. Be safe.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

32. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous! Congratulations.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

34. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! Congratulations!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

36. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Al.
    I started following this build when I first started getting serious about ordering. We have similar options and your thread was very helpful to me along the way. Thanks for posting the good and the bad.
    Love the car. I know you are having a blast. Enjoy.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

38. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The front plate has got to go, you'll never get stopped for it.
    The car is pretty much a get out of jail free card, unless you do something really stupid.
    #8619. Picked up 5/27/15, First Go Cart 7/16, Finally Legal 5/18

40. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is Great, Al! Congratulations on your build and completing an enormous achievement! See ya out there!
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

42. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alig2 View Post
    The front plate has got to go, you'll never get stopped for it.
    The car is pretty much a get out of jail free card, unless you do something really stupid.
    Totally agree.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

44. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If this could deploy from the oil cooler opening it would be slicker than slick.

Hide Away Plate Mount Video:
    https://youtu.be/nv32Z8lg4F4

Motorized Version:
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/flipd...motorized.html

Manual Version:
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/flipd...te-manual.html

What-Cha-Think Gentlemen?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-09-2020 at 02:54 PM.

46. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf, Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so it sounds like Boat, Alig and, possibly, GoDad like the idea of losing the front plate, perhaps with a flip mechanism. Yes, I agree that it would look better without it, but I'm more or less ambivalent. I may pull it off yet. It would be interesting to see if anyone has already installed something like what GoDad highlighted in the video links above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your car looks absolutely beautiful, Al! Just when I think I've seen all the different cool paint schemes, I get to remind myself to close my jaw. That's a looker! I too love that color scheme and agree and the plate takes so much away from the beauty of your color combo. Anyway, excellent work and congrats! May safe roads always find you...

Dj

49. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Beautiful car!!

51. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    OK, so it sounds like Boat, Alig and, possibly, GoDad like the idea of losing the front plate, perhaps with a flip mechanism. Yes, I agree that it would look better without it, but I'm more or less ambivalent. I may pull it off yet. It would be interesting to see if anyone has already installed something like what GoDad highlighted in the video links above.
    I think either would cool to have, but only if the front plate bugged you.

Congratulations Again & Submit That Sucker For Picture Of The Month!

Post Thanks / Like
    Many years ago our friend Ralph Button told me how he dealt with the front plate situation when he lived in Maine... In the early days of Factory Five Racing the rear license plate bracket was prone to fatiguing and falling off of the car. Ralph had this happen, made a new mount and installed the front plate on the rear then went to the BMV to request a duplicate replacement. They gave him a copy of the form ordering up the duplicate to keep in the car should he get stopped for the missing front plate. Apparently, at least in the state of Maine, producing duplicates is not a high priority and it was about 2 years until he got it. By that time he really hated to have to put a front plate on so he made another trip to the BMV and told them that the darnedest thing happened---he lost another plate and was going to have to request another duplicate Ralph said he played that "waiting for a duplicate plate" game until he moved out of the state!

By the way Al...the reflections in the side of the car in this photo make me proud

Cheers,
    Jeff

54. Likes GWL, GoDadGo, WIS89, Jetfuel, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Many years ago our friend Ralph Button told me how he dealt with the front plate situation when he lived in Maine... In the early days of Factory Five Racing the rear license plate bracket was prone to fatiguing and falling off of the car. Ralph had this happen, made a new mount and installed the front plate on the rear then went to the BMV to request a duplicate replacement. They gave him a copy of the form ordering up the duplicate to keep in the car should he get stopped for the missing front plate. Apparently, at least in the state of Maine, producing duplicates is not a high priority and it was about 2 years until he got it. By that time he really hated to have to put a front plate on so he made another trip to the BMV and told them that the darnedest thing happened---he lost another plate and was going to have to request another duplicate Ralph said he played that "waiting for a duplicate plate" game until he moved out of the state!

By the way Al...the reflections in the side of the car in this photo make me proud

Cheers,
    Jeff
    That is a good story, way to go Ralph. I drove with no plate for two season with zero issues here in Maine. I had the plate behind the passenger seat along with a bracket from Mike Everson. If I was ever stopped I was going to tell them it came off suddenly due to the vibration of the car.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Cheers,
    Jeff
    I suppose in some small way, I could blame Jeff for the front plate. When I delivered the car, it was installed, although on the driver's side parking light. When I picked it up, it was installed on the PS parking light. But blaming him wouldn't really be fair, would it?

One of these days, I'll yank it off. It just means I need to crawl under the car again to loosen the parking light fixture. It was easier to leave it alone, but you guys have made enough of a stink that I'll remove it!

Thank you all for your kind words (other than about the tag...). Jeff deserves a lot of the credit and, yes, he should be proud of it, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I suppose in some small way, I could blame Jeff for the front plate. When I delivered the car, it was installed, although on the driver's side parking light. When I picked it up, it was installed on the PS parking light. But blaming him wouldn't really be fair, would it?
    Truth is when I took the plate and mount from my box-o-parts I didn't recall which side it came off of and there was no conscious thought about which side to put it on; flip of a coin...roll of the dice...the side I was closest to when I had it in my hand...whatever

Jeff

58. Likes Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Great looking car and great color combination!
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

60. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Al, perseverance pays off! I disagree on the plate - cars have plates, but to each his own. Anyway, it's beautiful!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

62. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Congrats. I'm just now beginning my newbie journey. Can't wait to be where you are.

64. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Beautiful car. You did a GREAT job with it.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

66. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful car Al ! Congratulations! Job well done!

68. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on a sweet build! Definitely an POM winner!

70. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice !!

72. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome build, congrats!
    Mk4 Roadster #9054, 2001 Mustang GT donor, 4.6 SOHC engine, automatic transmission, ABS brakes

74. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Al! Hope you enjoy many happy miles
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

76. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast