FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: New member

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all.
    Just registered on the forum yesterday, but was a member on the old forum back in 2005ish.
    Planning to purchase a MK IV complete kit, probably late fall as I need to have my shop remodeled first.
    I've followed the forums off and on over the years, and since I retired this January, I'll now have all the time needed to build her right.
    I've got a .060 over 351W(in work), 8.8 Ford Posi and C-4 tranny so far.
    Once the shop is finished, I'll have all the space needed(3 stalls) to build.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve in Snohomish; 06-24-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Correct the dang auto suggest

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are off to a great start. Welcome back.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Home Fellow Stevester!

When folks rib you about the C4 Auto-Tranny, remind them that Mr. Shelby's two Super Snakes sported automatics too (C6 Version).
    His personal car (CSX 3178) also sported a 3 speed automatic.
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/m...sx-3178/380123

Sounds Like A Cool Build!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-24-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve - love to hear about another (upcoming) local builder!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,
    Not going to be too concerned if I get a little ribbing from having a C-4 as I will be driving a Cobra that I have built��

7. Likes Joel Hauser liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Snohomish View Post
    Thanks,
    Not going to be too concerned if I get a little ribbing from having a C-4 as I will be driving a Cobra that I have built��
    I've already cleared the way for you.
    My ride is from the Dark Side!
    Welcome Home!

9. Likes Steve in Snohomish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I've already cleared the way for you.
    My ride is from the Dark Side!
    Welcome Home!
    ��������

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ��������
    Dart 383 Small Block Chevy, ZF 6-Speed & Dana-44 Rear.

https://youtu.be/ELFJDOVKb4g

12. Likes Steve in Snohomish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll become very familiar with GoDadGo's journey to the Chevy dark side, if you monitor the forums. Honestly, I probably would have done an LS3 if the headers were available back then. Very happy with my Coyote, though.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting about a Chevy motor in the cobra. I remember a post, long time back, concerning kit builds at a car show. A hot rodder was dissing the cobra builder because it was a kit. Course, his 23' T-bucket was better(even though he had a Chevy 350 in it).
    I've always felt that anyone who built, restored or such any car, truck, bike, you name it, was to me, gifted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    I probably would have done an LS3 if the headers were available back then. Very happy with my Coyote, though.

Part number 161-33LS1 would have worked.

https://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/im...modified4.html

The engine just needed to move up to the point where the centerline of the motor was in line with the exit holes in the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's interesting about a Chevy motor in the cobra. I remember a post, long time back, concerning kit builds at a car show. A hot rodder was dissing the cobra builder because it was a kit. Course, his 23' T-bucket was better(even though he had a Chevy 350 in it).
    I've always felt that anyone who built, restored or such any car, truck, bike, you name it, was to me, gifted.
    Cobra Replicas get an unusual amount of attention I must admit.

At car shows that I attended last summer (Gel Coat Cobra) some folks that sneered at my "Kit Kar" then I simply asked to show me the car that they completely built by hand.
    T-Buckets are cool as is every other Hot Rod, but a nicely done Factory Five really is what we are all about.
    Yes we like other cars, but these things are special as you will soon find!

Also, be sure to check out Edwardb's two MK-4 builds because they are so well documented that they supplement the heck out of the manual.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...rogress-Update

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-26-2020 at 04:16 PM.

17. Likes Steve in Snohomish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend that has built a couple of T-buckets. These look to be rather simple($3000 T-bucket) and basic builds, and to me, not nearly as well designed. I did have a blast when we drove into work in his(blown 350), though I felt that my knees were about shoulder high��.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having driven both a T-bucket and a cobra, I can say they are two different monsters. The T had a fiberglass body bonded to a piece of plywood. The body was held to the frame with 4 expanding rubber grommets. No side bars, no frame to protect you. It was 350 hp and 1200 lbs. was always nervous driving it. If you think a cobra swaps ends fast, this was worse. Did it twice in traffic. Now, the cobra is much more refined and safe in my opinion. While it will still swap ends if abused, you get a slightly better idea it’s about to happen in the cobra. You picked the right car to build and I look forward to following your build thread. You live in a beautiful part of the country. You’ll be tearing up the roads in no one at all.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

20. Likes Steve in Snohomish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Steve. I am in Bothell working one myself. Wish I could say that I am retired.... sounds like you are off to a great retirement start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Latest update!
    Found out awhile back that the "C4" was actually an "FMX" transmission. Not sure if that will be an issue in the build or not.
    Do have the shop mostly completed. Still needs siding, paint and gutters, but very functional at this time.
    Here are a couple pics of the shop.Shop 3.jpgShop 1.jpgShop 2.jpg

23. Likes B Campbell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The shop looks great! Man, I'm jealous of the lift.
    Mk4 Roadster with BluePrint 347 with Holley EFI and solid axle rear end.
    Build thread
    Body work and paint thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'm getting too old to crawl around under cars anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve, Congrats on the retirement and the retirement project. Grest job on the shop, too.

I'm just up the road in the Silver Lake area. There are a couple other guys no more than a "stone's throw" that have MkIVs, too. I brought my kit home one year ago this month (an unstarted basic kit with parts) and slowly putting things together. I'm going with the 8.8, but I'm working on a 427cid (b&s'd 351W) and a TKX. Things are a little slower as I'm still doing my time "in the struggle for the legal tender". I am getting close to pulling the trigger on retirement myself.

If you ever need a hand or have questions, always willing to lend a hand... send a PM or email ([email protected])

Marshall
    marshc56

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve, Congrats on the retirement and the retirement project. Grest job on the shop, too.

I'm just up the road in the Silver Lake area. There are a couple other guys no more than a "stone's throw" that have MkIVs, too. I brought my kit home one year ago this month (an unstarted basic kit with parts) and slowly putting things together. I'm going with the 8.8, but I'm working on a 427cid (b&s'd 351W) and a TKX. Things are a little slower as I'm still doing my time "in the struggle for the legal tender". I am getting close to pulling the trigger on retirement myself.

If you ever need a hand or have questions, always willing to lend a hand... send a PM or email ([email protected])

Marshall
    marshc56

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Marshall,
    Thanks, I had fun doing the shop(big remodel starting with 2 sides and the back)
    Would love to meet up sometime and see your progress.
    My wife really started to like the idea of a cobra build when we followed a silver one around Lake Stevens about 10 years ago.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, 10 months later and it's done!
    I sent in the order and put down the deposit
    Made a few changes from last years plan. Picked up a AOD to rebuild as the FMX was almost impossible to find kits/parts for. going to change out the 4 lug drum system to a 5 lug disk for the rear end.
    Looking forward to the wiring portion as I recently finished a total rewire on my 67 Firebird convertible(dash portion should be a whole lot simpler to do than laying on my back looking up or reaching around the steering wheel)

Steve

30. Likes Andrew Davis, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the kit order! Now the wait begins, but it goes by quicker than you think. Good to see another build in the PNW. I’m in Puyallup, my kit arrives next week. 😀 Love the Firebird, I had a 68 many years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the FFR builders family. My MK4 arrived early March and it’s been a blast to build. There are enough kit builders in WA to support a get together at some point.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received my order confirmation email this morning. Expected completion date is April 15th, 2023!

Steve

34. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just received my order confirmation email this morning. Expected completion date is April 15th, 2023!

Steve
    Congrats. I started this process a year ago January, kit arrived in September started in November. The holdup has been the engine. Been waiting on it since January but should arrive in the next few weeks. It's a long process but I have enjoyed it.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine is next, after I finish the AOD rebuild and putting 5lug axles on the rear end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Order update!
    Just got off the phone with Jeff a FFR. Added the 15" Hailibrand wheels and passenger roll bar to the kit order. Still on track for 4/15/23 completion. Should know within the next month when the expected delivery date(s) will be.
    AOD rebuild took a slight turn to the south as the one I have came from a V6 Mustang. Going to get one from a wrecking yard this Saturday(not looking forward to wallowing in the mud, but it is what it is).
    Engine build is a little slow as I'm waiting on a roller cam retro kit(back ordered) from Comp Cams.
    Once I get the call for delivery, I'll start a build thread
    Steve

38. Likes D Stand, Andrew Davis liked this post