BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A favor!

Post Thanks / Like

A favor!

Hello

Covid has given me the gift of time and I’ve always dreamed of building a cobra. I’m 6’4” and 260(still carrying a little holiday weight). Before I pull the trigger I want to see if I fit. My plan has always been to go to the factory and take the tour but they appear to be closed for awhile. Anybody in the Portland area willing to let me sit in your MK4? I don’t mind driving a couple hours and will bring beer\donuts if it helps?

Thanks

Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    You can fit but the car will need to be set up for you. Sitting in just anyone's car may not give you what you are looking for. I am 6'3 and I fit quite well when I set up the car for tall people. Seat selection and pedal setup are critical. I prefer a donor pedal assy and lowback aluminum kirkey seats. I find this gives the most room.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Reach out to David Hodgkins (Our System Administrator) because he is our resident Super Tall Dude.
    I think he's something crazy like 6'6" tall, a real mountain of a man, with the nickname of The Wookie.
    He will know how to get you shoehorned into a Factory Five MK-4 for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Reach out to David Hodgkins (Our System Administrator) because he is our resident Super Tall Dude.
    I think he's something crazy like 6'6" tall, a real mountain of a man, with the nickname of The Wookie.
    He will know how to get you shoehorned into a Factory Five MK-4 for sure.
    I was going to say the same thing Steve.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I should have mentioned I’ve done some research so I know it’s possible. Just want to feel it in person before I make the investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya second the notion that if you sit in one that isn't built for a tall guy it will be worthless to you and make you think you wont fit.
    Im 6'3" and sat in three before ordering that I did not fit very well in at all. Built mine with a tall guy in mind and am very comfortable in it.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 03sport007 View Post
    Hello

Covid has given me the gift of time and I’ve always dreamed of building a cobra. I’m 6’4” and 260(still carrying a little holiday weight). Before I pull the trigger I want to see if I fit. My plan has always been to go to the factory and take the tour but they appear to be closed for awhile. Anybody in the Portland area willing to let me sit in your MK4? I don’t mind driving a couple hours and will bring beer\donuts if it helps?

Thanks

Josh
    Hi Josh,

If you do not find anyone closer to you I will take a chance and let a stranger sit in my car if it will help you out. I am about 90 minutes north of Portland in Chehalis. I am 6'2", maybe close to 220 (won't admit any more!). I have the mid height Kirkeys and I love the fit of the car and the seats. As others have pointed out, the fit will not be ideal for you, my seat is in a fixed position set perfectly for me. Easy to do during your build. PM if you want to make the trek up here.

Brien
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Hi Josh,

If you do not find anyone closer to you I will take a chance and let a stranger sit in my car if it will help you out. I am about 90 minutes north of Portland in Chehalis. I am 6'2", maybe close to 220 (won't admit any more!). I have the mid height Kirkeys and I love the fit of the car and the seats. As others have pointed out, the fit will not be ideal for you, my seat is in a fixed position set perfectly for me. Easy to do during your build. PM if you want to make the trek up here.

Brien

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Josh,

If you get a chance to come down to Orange County you can sit in my MKIII. Just FYI my brother also has a 15th Anniversary MKIV set up for big guys that is for sale...

The basics for a big guys setup are:

1: Wilwood pedals, which are adjustable and add ~ 2" of legroom. The brake pad can be shifted to the left to create more room for your right foot. I also cut out the crash bar to the left of my clutch foot but with the newer design this is no longer required. I noticed Gordon likes the standard mustang pedal setup. I can't speak to that. I'm sure they can be modified, but the Wilwoods do have adjustability built in...

2: 17" Kirkey seats. 18" pushes you forward and 16" is too small. There are two ways to go: modify the FFR-supplied intermediates or buy the vintage bucket from kirkey:
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...E-CLASS-BUCKET . I modified my intermediates from FFR for my 1st build and actually like the fit better but it's more work. The intermediates are cloth and the vintage are vinyl. I made brackes for thes to mount them. I don't mount the seats to the floor. PS If you desire high back seats I personally like the drage seats from Kirkey:
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...o-Street-Drag- That's a personal preference. I'm just not a fan of wings

3: Removable steering wheel and raised placement. Removable is more of a nice-to-have and not required. When you mount it you will put a few washers under the mount to raise the wheel.

4: Small-block motor with FFMetal straight driver's-side inner footbox. This will give you much-needed room for the go pedal. I also like the firewall forward and they used to sell a kit with both. Contact FFMetal for more info.

5: Russ Thompson gas pedal. This has good feel and you can add a "Z" bend to the pedal to move it to the right to create space between it and the brake pedal.

6: I did cut a custom dash for both of my builds. It is a bit higher at the bottom and thicker at .060 instead of .040, but you might be OK with the supplied dash.

Cutting the back wall doesn't have an effect on the seat placement. I did it because I wanted a cubby.

Welcome to the forum!

Oh, don't be put off by the rat rod appearance. We all have an awkward phase. She has blossomed into a very pretty lady indeed:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all the info!!! Beautiful car!!