Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  163
Likes Likes:  212
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse builds a Cobra #10,008 - Full of hot air

Post Thanks / Like

Jesse builds a Cobra #10,008 - Full of hot air

Hi Guys,

I ordered my kit October 6th. My completion date was February 13th. I haven't heard from Stewart yet but I hope to soon. I have been a lurker around here for a while and have been following most of the recent builds and have gone back through a number of the highly recommended ones. I'm starting my build thread in hopes of adding to the community and to document my experience. I want to try and give direct credit whenever possible to those of you whose cars i am taking inspiration from (or in some cases straight stealing good ideas). I've been riding and occasionally racing motorcycles since my early 20's. Part of how I sold the build to my wife was I am trading in my bikes for the car so I sold my last Ducati to pay for the drivetrain. I still have one bike left but I'm confident I will need something that selling that one will pay for

Looking to do something with modern touches. We will see how it goes

My kit from FFR

306 - At the machine shop in waiting for the dyno
    T5 - Rebuilt and reinforced
    8.8 rear end 3:55 (Moser axles)
    Full Kit
    Powder Coated Chassis
    Body Cutouts
    3-Link
    Ultra Lite Gauges
    Winds wings/Sun visors
    Wipers
    Heater/Defroster
    Duel Roll bar
    High back race seats
    Leather steering wheel
    Assembled Louvers
    Trunk strut kit
    Power steering
    Hydraulic Clutch
    Wilwood Front and Rear

Add on's

Holley Sniper EFI and Hyperspark ignition
    Thompson Drop trunk
    Breeze Battery relocation
    Breeze Storage cubby
    Whitby SS Windshield inserts - Thanks Chris
    Herbs door panels
    Push button self canceling turn signals - Thanks Papa
    FFMetal Firewall
    FFMetal Trans cover

Entire shelves of items I've picked up from watching your builds.

So here she is! My cradle shot came yesterday

Here's my space ready for delivery. Hopefully mostly done with the snow. I have to say some of you have the most incredible garage/shops.

I don't have much to show off yet, but this is where I am going wheel wise

Rear end and tranny ready to go except I am still debating about grinding the quad shock. If I do it it will be soon.

Lastly I was originally going to install the PBR breaks but upgraded to the Wilwoods. As a result I have a complete set of Ford rear brakes (calipers POR-15 red, rotors and all lines/brackets for an 8.8 rear end). I have no use for them, if anyone would like them they are yours for whatever they cost to ship. Might not be worth it for these parts as they are heavy but if anyone wants them let me know.

Last edited by Blitzboy54; 08-30-2021 at 03:19 PM.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

2. Thanks Dmarian907 thanked for this post
    Likes QKSLVR, toadster, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent

Thanks.
    Achi
    Mark IV FFR 7993 picked up March 30, 2013
    Pin drive IRS, 390FE, Smiths gauges. going to be a long slow build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the craziness. Your in a good place here on the forum..

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Like You Are Well On Your Way!

.Congratulations & Welcome Aboard!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-21-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Sorry about the Ducati but we’ve all been there. Gotta make room for new toys.
    Enjoy the build and thanks for posting.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to add, for those of you looking at build threads that haven't purchased yet. If you're a vet make sure to mention that at purchase. FFR offers a $500 discount on the full kit. It certainly pays for an an upgrade or 2.

I'll add this cuz my car isn't here and why not. Almost done!! lol

MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21

Post Thanks / Like
    You see people? That’s how you deal with parts shortages. Work with what you got.
    Making great progress.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

9. Likes Blitzboy54, Fman, buttsjim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice build, similar to mine! My completion date was 2/6, also haven't heard from Stewart yet on shipping timing, they estimate pickup first week of March then 10-14 days delivery after that, COVID has slowed them down. On the plus side, seems like lots of part shortages right now, so hoping that an extra month sitting for transport makes the POL shorter.

Who did you ask for to get your cradle shot? I want to see mine as well.

Blake

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BeePea View Post
    Nice build, similar to mine! My completion date was 2/6, also haven't heard from Stewart yet on shipping timing, they estimate pickup first week of March then 10-14 days delivery after that, COVID has slowed them down. On the plus side, seems like lots of part shortages right now, so hoping that an extra month sitting for transport makes the POL shorter.

Who did you ask for to get your cradle shot? I want to see mine as well.

Blake
    Funny, I just got off the phone with Stewart. They are loading up on March 1st/2nd. I am the 2nd stop (apparently a bunch of delivery's in NY). I am looking at the 3rd or 4th. Obviously delays due to weather are day for day but we will see what happens. He mentioned the truck finishes up in Washington so I would assume that's your car (congrats!!!) You should be getting a call soon.

On the cradle shot I did not have a lot of luck at first with my sales guy. I ended up sending a request to the generic [email protected] and got a response in a couple of hours.

It's all happening! This is starting to have a very 12 years old Christmas Eve vibe to it. I'm very pumped.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did just get off the phone with Stewart as well, and yup, we are on the same truck! Sounds like I am second to last (there is another Washington delivery after me).

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so excited for you!!! It is a good feeling to know when it will be loaded, but the remaining days will drag slower and slower....

It is definitely worth the wait!
    Mk4 Roadster with BluePrint 347 with Holley EFI and solid axle rear end.
    Build thread
    Body work and paint thread

14. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    I forgot to add, for those of you looking at build threads that haven't purchased yet. If you're a vet make sure to mention that at purchase. FFR offers a $500 discount on the full kit. It certainly pays for an an upgrade or 2.

I'll add this cuz my car isn't here and why not. Almost done!! lol

Hello Blitzboy! Excited for you the big day is almost here!

Dang! I've already learned two things this morning about ordering from F5: yours is the second thing...your tip about the veteran discount. Bummer for me I missed it, but really glad you were able to take advantage of the discount!

I like your wheel choice. Mine are on back order, but I seriously considered a wheel just like yours. I'm not a fan of the Halibrand look, so went with different design, and black wheels as well. I also went with the Nitto G2--also on backorder.

Welcome aboard!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

16. Likes Blitzboy54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's getting closer! March 3rd or 4th is just a handful of days away. Here's to hoping it is March 3rd!!!
    Build thread

18. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m barley holding it together if I’m being honest can’t believe it’s almost here.

20. Likes hineas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed! Congratulations, I am excited for you... delivery day is really awesome. Looking forward to following your build.

and those wheels you selected look great!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

22. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! I'm glad I can make them fit. Turns out the 10.5 rear wheels are a little thicker than some and the standard Wilwood from FFR doesn't fit them. Fortunately Gordon Levy is super great and set me up with a different set for the rear. Going to a 4 piston with a shoe for a parking brake. These apparently fit the 15 inch wheels as well for all the purists out there.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-09-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    "The new phone books are here, the new phone books are here"

Well, It happened. The Stewart showed up bright and early at 7:30 and it was glorious. Enough snow has melted that I didn't have to do anything crazy to make the driveway dolly friendly. I had a blow torch plan in my back pocket (a little disappointed I didn't need it if I'm being honest) to clear the hard ice but it's been warm the last couple of days. The delivery experience was first rate. It was painless and fun. The diver told me a few of his best delivery stories including a driveway that was so long and hard to navigate he ended up spending the night at a customers house. He ate pizza and watched him and his son do the inventory.

So FFR build number 10,008 is home. When I ordered my kit I did some back of the napkin math and thought I had a shot at being build #10,000 alas I overshot my mark by probably a week. My consolation prize is a I have a bad*** Cobra kit in my garage so big winner chicken dinner.

I ordered my kit 10/6. I asked for a completion date of mid February mostly because I don't have a heated garage (I have propane heater that takes the edge off). My thought was I would receive it right around March when the weather turned. Another side effect is because the longer lead time my POL is not that bad. It was a full page but 60% was filled before it shipped. Most items are not an issue and I will likely have them in hand before i need them. The big hitters are LCA's (of course), spindles, dash, engine mounts and steering rack. I did get a radiator, I was surprised by that. The last 2 if push comes to shove I can purchase aftermarket but I have plenty of work to do.

With inventory being done I sent a note to FFR for my few missing items and one damaged one (drivers side roll bar is nicked to the metal) I'm not sure I care as I think I may want to PC them a different finish but I thought they should know. In retrospect I should have had them sent unfinished. As a matter of fact I will ask FFR to send my missing passenger side roll bar in just that state.

I have 2 questions for the group. My trunk fiberglass has some separation. I am assuming this is fairly normal but it is quite a bit thicker in that spot because of it. I am quite a ways away from body work but would like some opinions if its a concern. Second are the brackets that bolt on to the front quick jack bolts and the blinkers. Are those just for shipping or will I nee them again?

I was talking to a forum member last week and I recounted why I wanted to build a Cobra. I was born in the 70's so I have no direct exposure to the original. To be honest I had never heard of Shelby or Cobra until I was well into adulthood. My parents were not car people. I never even saw one until my late 20's, but when I did it was simply the sexiest car I had ever seen. Then a guy at work told me I could build one and my imagination has been running wild ever since. Now 20 years later, after all the parenting, husbanding, working and saving its here. It's in my garage and I could not possibly be more excited.
    Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-03-2021 at 09:34 PM.

25. Likes Fman, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another question I have is I have a hydraulic clutch and Wilwood front and rear brakes. I only received 2 reservoirs. One for the clutch and one for the brakes. Shouldn't I have 3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question I have is I have a hydraulic clutch and Wilwood front and rear brakes. I only received 2 reservoirs. One for the clutch and one for the brakes. Shouldn't I have 3?
    The reservoir for the brakes feeds both the front and rear master cylinders. The manual has you put a "Y" in the hose after the reservoir to be able to feed both master cylinders.

Many people end up separating the system entirely and putting in a third reservoir.
    Build thread

28. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your delivery. Now the fun begins. I wouldn't really call that a separation on the trunk lid. More like a void. You or your body shop can jam some HSRF in there (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3087022&rt=rud) and it will be fine. If you look closely, you'll probably find similar although smaller voids in other pieces. Typically not an issue. For those front brackets, yes they're intended to be used on the final product. Not just for shipping. Many of us, me included, don't use them.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

30. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the delivery and I love the story of you dreaming for 20 years of this day!

I also did the math and was hoping for something between
    or equal to 9999 and 10001, sounds like I'll be slightly above that, oh well!

Can't wait to see your progress! There are a few of us siblings!

32. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    does FFR number their chassises by model? in other words, is there a #10000 roadster, or is there a possibility that the #10000 chassis is a 818 or GTM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    does FFR number their chassises by model? in other words, is there a #10000 roadster, or is there a possibility that the #10000 chassis is a 818 or GTM?
    I dont actually know, I’ve thought about it and I think it’s by model. Dave said recently on one of their videos they’ve shipped over 12,0000 cars so I assume than it has to be model specific unless they changed their system at some point. I’ve also poked around the other builds and their numbers are much lower.

Having said that I am prepared to be wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Serial numbers run by model.

There is a serial #10,000 cobra, It has been sold to a customer and I am building it for the customer. It should be completed and in the customers hands in the next month or so.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post

There is a serial #10,000 cobra, It has been sold to a customer and I am building it for the customer. It should be completed and in the customers hands in the next month or so.
    Do you know the FFR completion date of #10,000? Trying to ballpark my number.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't recall. I think the are at about 10035 now.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post

That dude got my Cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    That dude got my Cobra
    I thought it was mine! How long did inventory take you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was mine! How long did inventory take you?
    I got lucky and took delivery at 7:30 am. I had everything in the garage and was waiving goodby to the driver by 8:15. I was done by 4:00 ish. That included a 30 minute lunch/shower break. I also have to move most of my parts to a shed for storage and that took some time. I was missing a few minor items the only real issue is my passenger side roll bar and grommet set, I received neither but it was not on my POL, looks like an oversight. It was added to my missing parts list

I had the music going and enjoyed it thoroughly. After dinner I removed the doors, hood and trunk. Now I'm waiting for my friends to come over and help me move the body off to the buck Friday night. I'm guessing that will be the end of the progress as beer was promised and I think we will likely sit around BS the rest of the night.

Speaking of inventory does anyone know if this is in fact the correct part (16915 - 1-2" id FILLER HOSE)? I assumed it was but could be wrong also what is it for?

Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-04-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know the FFR completion date of #10,000? Trying to ballpark my number.
    I must have just missed it. Our date was 2/13 and we got 10002. I think I remember Dave saying in the FF live the other day that they finish 2 per day. Not sure if that’s roadsters or everything they make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, Jesse! What a great feeling to have it in your garage!! Looks like you have a nice setup for your build.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

43. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super cool! Time to get wrenchin'
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

45. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes , that is the filler hose. It goes between the filler pipe and the Lemans cap. You will cut it approximately in half.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

47. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a fun week. I spent some time putzing around the car getting my head straight and putting together a build strategy. One of the deals I made with myself is no deadlines. I don't want to feel the gotta get it done pressure. That's a work thing. But I then realized I actually do have a bit of a weird deadline. My Dad is coming out for a week to help with the build in April. I am taking a week off. A lot of my POL parts are suspension related so we will have to move to the next thing. That gets us to the peddle box and steering. Since I am powder coating a lot of the aluminum I do need to get that done as it seems I need the front of the drivers foot box in place and to a lesser extent the firewall.

So I started getting my aluminum figured out. The manual says to pull off all of it then mark and drill it. I decided to go a different route. Most of the panels pre installed are already where I want them with the machine screws holding them in. So I decided to mark and drill them in place. The few panels that needed trimming I marked and those that I wanted to be shifted I removed the machine screws and used Cleco's to adjust. I then went ahead and marked everything then drilled in place. This way after PCing I can rivet without a lot of drilling outside of cleaning up the holes. At least that's what I told myself but I am prepared for the conventional wisdom of the board to explain why I was wrong.

For underneath the I just jacked up one side at the time to access the foot box floor

Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-07-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am installing the heater defroster so I got that mocked up as well. This is where I made my first mistake. I have read so many build threads I feel like in some ways I've done this before. I haven't, I jumped right in and after I had everything cut I found my holes didn't line up that well. Then I read the instructions and first thing is says is sometimes the holes don't line up that well and to double check the unit you have with the template. This was a good lesson and I got lucky as it didn't require a new firewall. I may ask next week the lead time on one but I suspect it's a while. The 2 feed through holes are off center but with the grommet in there I think its ok

Now she's down to the bare frame. I'll get the panels organized this week and remove the glass from the windshield. Those things and the exhaust I would like to get to my guy next week.

Also a word of caution. The heater has a warning tag that says it’s pressurized and to be careful removing the cap. That thing blew off like a gunshot, funny in retrospect but it would have ruined my day it it hit me in the eye.

Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-07-2021 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jesse, If you need a new firewall check out these options... it is a much stouter .090 thickness compared to the .040 FFR. Especially if you have a heater mounted to it, worth the investment imo. FFmetal also makes a really nice transmission tunnel piece that is an upgrade from the FFR piece.

https://www.ffmetal.com/#fw1
    Last edited by Fman; 03-08-2021 at 09:57 AM.

51. Thanks Blitzboy54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Jesse, If you need a new firewall check out these options... it is a much stouter .090 thickness compared to the .040 FFR. Especially if you have a heater mounted to it, worth the investment imo. FFmetal also makes a really nice transmission tunnel piece that is an upgrade from the FFR piece.

https://www.ffmetal.com/#fw1
    This is great. Agreed it's pretty floppy with the heater on it. Ordering this evening.

Thank you

**Update, Already have a tracking number and will be here Thursday, really good stuff**
    Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-09-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not for the faint of heart but I managed to remove the chrome frame from the window. I want to PC it. Takes lots of patients and I like to use rubbing alcohol has a lubricant. Seems like it will be an adventure re assembling.

There are 8 soft brass screws that hold it together then it’s just press fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-14-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not for the faint of heart but I managed to remove the chrome frame from the window. I want to PC it. Takes lots of patients and I like to use rubbing alcohol has a lubricant. Seems like it will be an adventure re assembling.

6B468A77-AFBD-4736-8E53-06C85C9329C5.jpg

There are 8 soft brass screws that hold it together then it’s just press fit.
    Eee, you are very brave. I am not doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started getting my rear end put together. I pulled the axles. Since i am going to have a shoe for a parking brake I will leave them out until they arrive so I don't have to take them out again.

I have a fill port on my cover so I can still install it onto the frame and add the fluid after the axles are back in. I got it setup on the bench and got cranking. The manual says you can use a 1/2 drill bit to remove the powder coating. I don't see how that's in any way optional. It's too tight otherwise. I also found it helpful to run the drill through the back of the shock mount and even out the opening between the FFR bracket and the original hole.

Getting the upper bracket on requires a lot of patients. I highly recommend reaming all the holes in both ends. My biggest bit is 1/2 but going a 1/16 larger would have been better in my opinion. Getting all the bolts to simply slide through was tough. All in all it was a little like wrestling an alligator. It was fun though and I think it would take me half the time to do it again. Between the paint on the housing and the powder coat on the bracket its tight. I used a pneumatic impact gun. If you used hand tools it would be a lot of sweat equity. The brace didn't line up with my pumpkin hole so I drilled that out. My only issue is the you can see the bolt isn't long enough. I need another quarter inch so it gets into the nylon.

Thoroughly greased the LCA,s. Question - The manual says to put it on the lower bracket for "better traction" What does the upper position get you? is this just ride height or a stiffer suspension?

Last edited by Blitzboy54; 03-09-2021 at 11:53 PM.

56. Thanks Dmarian907, stevenjmeyer thanked for this post
    Likes stevenjmeyer liked this post
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast