Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Getting faster

Post Thanks / Like

Getting faster

Went to Loring LSR. Upped last years 179 to 191 mph. Those next 10 mph, like Ringo sys, "It don't come easy". Lesson learned, it takes more than 700 HP to push a car with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick through the air. We hit a wall and it just didn't go any faster. I am glad that the aero mods done since last year worked. first few days had some head and side wind issues but the last run there was no wind (unfortunately including tailwinds) and the car was pretty damn stable at over 190 mph. I may look into a nitrous shot from the mile to the mile and a half to see what I gain, adding more power anywhere below 150 mph will blow the tires off.chute out.jpgchute out.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I'm impressed.

The "brick" is understood. I've run 150+ multiple times in my previous Superformance to a max of 157 on GPS, about 540hp at the crank. I can appreciate the "wall".

Think you'll make 200? If that's your goal. Every little bit is a significant gain.

Jim

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive! So, let's hear more about those areo mods.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn that’s cool! Some big lug nuts at that speed - chute & all!

Bravo…

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow is right. Any video? Must have been a blast.
    Well done.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, more details/pics on the car please!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    intake.jpgside wing.jpgThe roof wing and side aerlons (?) provide a little downforce but mostly disturb "bad" air, what goes over the car is kicked up and away from causing any lift and the side wings keep air from going under the tires. It did indeed work as I didn't put 100 lbs. of lead shot behind the seats and it felt much more stable than last year. The intake was extended forward into 'clean' air (but not quite far enough out front) after a NAPA stop for some 4" truck exhaust pipe and clamps. We had found that the blow off was shooting 1200 degree air right into the intake of the turbo. With the meth injection we wondered why the inlet temps were up in the 230 range and the timing was pulled down to 9-10 degrees.

8. Likes NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Really impressive, but in all reality I can't imagine driving one of these HR's that fast. Maybe a GTM or a Daytona but not this. I respect the conclusion of trying to push a brick through air. Good luck and let's see if you can break the 200 mph barrier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    WOW! Really impressive, but in all reality I can't imagine driving one of these HR's that fast. Maybe a GTM or a Daytona but not this. I respect the conclusion of trying to push a brick through air. Good luck and let's see if you can break the 200 mph barrier.
    This is NOT a typical FFR 33HR, far from it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of watching Big Red being modified to beat 230mph and how much power that took.. something like 1,800hp?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone can make a Corvette (Or a GTM or Daytona) go fast, this is thinking and acting, outside of, and on a box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, anything can be made to go fast with enough money and engineering. Long ago I met some guys that took an Olds Toranado drivetrain and mated into the middle of a 1963 VW microbus (yes the 23 window special with the canvas moonroof). It didn't go fast enough so they added a 6-71 blower and other goodies. At around 140 mph the passenger windsheild blew in, then the canvas moon roof exploded. Shortly after they parked it and it slowly rotted away. I admire someone putting this much effort into a 33 as I have for 50+ years followed the exploits of similar folk running at Bonneville at like speeds. Will be interesting to see if they join the 200 club!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Until I hear different you have the fastest FFR '33 made!

Major cajones my friend, stay safe out there!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmish View Post
    Went to Loring LSR. Upped last years 179 to 191 mph. Those next 10 mph, like Ringo sys, "It don't come easy". Lesson learned, it takes more than 700 HP to push a car with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick through the air. We hit a wall and it just didn't go any faster. I am glad that the aero mods done since last year worked. first few days had some head and side wind issues but the last run there was no wind (unfortunately including tailwinds) and the car was pretty damn stable at over 190 mph. I may look into a nitrous shot from the mile to the mile and a half to see what I gain, adding more power anywhere below 150 mph will blow the tires off.chute out.jpgchute out.jpg
    Can you tell please what mods exactly you made?
    Do you have some ideas how to bring up solution with tires? Or it's inevitable in any case?

I am also here
    employee monitoring system
    https://www.worktime.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mods are a full 8.5 cert rollcage, 6.0 LS with 96mm turbo, and a few aero mods. I want to break 200 with more horsepower, not modifying the body so much it doesn't look like a 33 anymore. Don't know what you are referring to with the tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he was referring to your comment about blowing the tires off using nitrous below 150 MPH.
    I’m using a port injected nitrous system on my other car with a progressive controller, power comes on pretty smooth.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like JimLev, I'm also controlling my nitrous system with a progressive controller. I use the Nitrous Express Maximizer-5 which has a lot of great features to help you manage your nitrous system. I can ramp the nitrous in at a variety of slopes from zero to 100% and anywhere in between. It can be triggered from a timer, vehicle speed, or RPM and can be set-up to maintain your pre-set AFR ratio and fail-safe if AFR drifts outside your pre-set limits.

Makes running nitrous oxide easy with much less risk of damage when control drifts outside of safe limits.

19. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talking with my engine builder if you are going to add 100HP it doesn't matter if its 100 with nitrous or 100 with more boost, and the Holley HP can manage the boost. We had 15# springs that gave a steady 15.8-16.0 with a safety cutoff at 17#. Just going to run 18# springs with a cutoff at 20#. As a turbo build it was built for 20+ pounds but I always kept it on the conservative side. At this level with the methanol injection another 2 pounds should be at least 75 HP. Have to look into an issue with the transmission also, doesn't seem to be putting all the power to to the real wheels. I am using progressive relays for both the methanol injection and the water pump so I know about ramping up the power. We will use the HP to control the boost, its been wild leaning into it in third gear at 120-130 mph and having the tires break away.
    Last edited by jimmish; 07-23-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember, if you add nitrous you won't need meth injection to cool the intake charge as when nitrous boils at minus 129F (turns from liquid to a gas) it absorbs a significant amount of heat in the intake which increases the charge density. Nitrous and boost were made for each other. However, it will cost magnitudes more $$ to run nitrous instead of meth but you do get what you pay for.

https://www.noswizard.com/nos-techni...cts_of_nitrous

22. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NAZ, are you using Trevor’s components?
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    NAZ, are you using Trevor’s components?
    Assembled my system from scratch but most items come from Nitrous Express mixed with other components from various manufacturers.

I run a 300-shot plate system as it's simple and cools the entire intake tract under the carb. I ramp it in over time so I don't blow the tires off and once it's all in, the controller maintains my set point of 12.5:1 AFR by modulating the solenoids. Unlike old skool systems where the solenoids are simply open or closed and the amount of fuel and nitrous is controlled by pills, mine are constantly firing to maintain the nitrous & fuel amounts based on what I program into the controller. It's really an advanced controller. Like EFI, once it's set-up it just maintains what you programmed it to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pretty much built mine from scratch too. All NOS System parts.
    Mine is an older NOS PWM 2 stage controller I bought 6-7 years ago. The 1st stage has a start delay setting, start % of flow, end % of flow, and ramp time.
    This controls the flow to the 8 injectors in the runners, 125HP.
    The second stage has no ramp, just delay time. This controls the flow to 2 injectors, one before the throttle body and the other at the rear of the intake manifold, 60HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on what you are accomplishing. Count me as a fan