Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  33

Thread: Russwood's Coyote Powered Mk IV - Build Progress Updates

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Serpentine Pulley System

I mentioned in my build plan that I plan to use a single belt serpentine system from CVF Racing. I spent a lot of time considering this, and looked at systems from every maker I could find that offers something for the Coyote. There are definitely cheaper ways to do this, but one of my intentions is to show this car, so this is a good way to add some jewelry along with the accessories I need.

I chose the CVF Racing version over the March Performance for a couple reasons, mostly aesthetics. Both were similarly priced and offered the same options for accessories. CVF is a single belt version with a pulley added to the front of the balancer where the March Performance version is a two-belt system with no balancer pulley. They both add about the same depth to the front of the engine. In the end, I prefer the single belt system and personally liked the look of the CVF pulleys and pulley covers over the March. I have friends who recommended the March, so I know it's a solid system.

After making that decision, I reached out to the manufacturer to verify its fitment for the Gen 3. They don't right out say it doesn't fit the Gen 3, but do say it needs a 4-bolt water pump pulley and a 2017 or older balancer. That means Gen 1 or 2. However, since Ford went back to a two-piece balancer over the original fluid version, I felt good that it would work on the Gen 3. The two-piece is essentially the Gen 2 balancer. The only issue left in my mind, apart from the system's width (which may bite me later if the alternator conflicts with the steering shaft - fingers crossed EdwardB), was the water pump. Ford changed the water pump sometime during the Gen 2's run from a 4-bolt to a 3-bolt pulley, and carried that into the Gen 3's design. I initially considered making an adapter since I have to space the water pump pulley out (see below on why), but after studying what it would require a lot closer, including making some cardboard templates to experiment with, and then consulting with my buddy at work who runs our field crews (he's the best mechanic I've ever known, and that's saying a lot), he suggested just changing the water pump. Well duh, why didn't I think of that? Did a little research and it looks like the two are interchangeable, at least from pictures. I found one for $60 on RockAuto and placed the order. Since these use O-rings instead of gaskets or silicone to seal to the block, it's pretty easy to swap out to make sure. If it's wrong, then back it goes and I'm back to square one. I'll know more later this week when it shows up. Fingers crossed. Last issue would be the steering shaft vs. the alternator, but if there's a conflict, I'll either modify the steering shaft with some knuckles or figure out a modification on the alternator location.

The kit arrived on Thursday, and like Christmas morning, of course I had to open it. Everything is machined from solid billet aluminum, so no cast parts. Very solid and the finish is beautiful. I got the option for the ceramic clear coat finish, so they should stay bright for a long time.

The first order was to install the balancer spacer. It came with a longer crankshaft bolt, but the instructions clearly say this is for an LS balancer. My buddy, who's a big LS guy, says the Ford Coyote balancer looks just like the LS style, so that made sense. The only issue was the shoulder on the CVF part was a little bigger than the balancer pocket, but a few minutes with a file and it fit perfectly. The LS balancer pocket is probably a few thousands bigger.

After I bolted the spacer in, I noticed that it doesn't come all the way to the front of the balancer. This tells me that the Gen 3 balancer is about .28" thicker than the Gen 2. I went ahead and bolted the pulley on, but it's pretty obvious that I need to do something to make this stronger than just bolts. After some test fitting and studying, I determined that everything needs to be moved out about .35". For the balancer, I'll have to machine a piece of aluminum to bring the front out flush so the pulley sits as it was intended.

Here's the two brackets mocked up:

Power steering pump, AC delete pulley, and idlers added:

Chrome alternator, tensioner, and all the pulley covers bolted up for a final measuring. Looks pretty nice:

The water pump pulley is missing from this view - I've got it on the bench to work out the spacer/adapter.

Last - a side view of the chrome alternator. Notice how close it is to the oil filter - just enough.

It's a little funny to me that both the power steering pump and the alternator are GM models, but it should all work. I'll have to make a slight mod to the alternator wiring since the Ford factory plug obviously won't work, but there's lots of stuff out there showing what I'll need to do. The kit came with a billet aluminum remote power steering reservoir, so with custom hoses I'll be able to plumb it all up. The only other issue may be the pressures, so I'll likely have to change the valve to work with the Ford rack, but again, lots of previous builds to steal modifications from.

After I took a couple dozen measurements, I think I have a plan on what spacers & custom parts I need. I won't go into the weeds now until I get it figured out and made. I'll update down the road once I have some pictures to share.

Here's a view from the top showing the difference that I need to correct. The water pump pulley is the top one in the center of the photo - I've just got it on there with one bolt to check the spacing. I used a 2' level as a straight edge to verify everything is aligned and to determine the distance to move out. You can see the balancer pulley is the one sticking out the most:

This "problem" is a perfect excuse to finally buy a mini-lathe. I've ran into several instances where I wished I had one, but with the real possibility of having to experiment with different shapes & thicknesses, this is the time. I could go to a machine shop and try to explain what I need, then likely have to go back one or more times to tweak the design. With this prototype approach, it just made sense to do it myself. After some research on the myriad of different models, I pulled the trigger on a 7" x 14" version. Went with a middle of the road unit from Amazon, just a little step up from the Harbor Freight version. Ordered a tail stock chuck and some C2 and C6 carbide cutters so I can do both soft and harder metals, and will see how things go. Placed an order with McMaster for some 6061 aluminum billet discs to machine the pulley spacers and some solid 3/4" diameter 6061 rod to make the bolt spacers. Once everything is cut, I'll see what bolts need to be replaced with longer versions and get those ordered.

With Thanksgiving this week and no car yet, I should be able to finish my to-do list over the long weekend. The oil pan gasket is tracking to arrive today, and I need to build the body buck and finish my frame cart. I'll share my finished work with some photos this weekend.

Hope everyone has a safe and blessed holiday. God bless!
    Last edited by Russwood; 11-24-2021 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Updated information
    Russel

Mk4 Roadster #10204. Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec T56, IRS. Ordered 6/7/21 - Delivered 12/18/21 Build Thread