Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: A Snake on the Way….

Post Thanks / Like

A Snake on the Way….

A Snake on the Way….

Just placed my order with a November 5th build date. Quite a ways in the future so you probably won’t see much action here until next year. But for now, just a bit of an introduction: I first was bitten by a Snake in 1979 when I rode in a friend’s original 1965 427 S/C that he bought new in 1966. Since then, I have had the good fortune of owning or driving some of the most iconic cars of our time. Unfortunately, I never followed through on a Cobra of my own and now they are simply out of reach; especially if the plan is to use and abuse it or at least drive it on a Sunday afternoon with my wife.

Now with retirement approaching and the need for a “project” to keep me busy, I’m diving into the deep end and building my own “iconic” design to add to the collection. We live part of the year in Texas, which is where I will build, but since we are only there part-time, I’m expecting the build, even at an enthusiastic pace, will take the better part of 3 years to complete. Frankly, this works out perfectly because I’m really looking forward to the build process and have a few other cars to satisfy my love of driving until this one’s complete.

I think that over the few months since making this decision, I’ve read every Roadster Build Thread and this has given me the courage to believe that I can complete the car. Additionally, reaching out to a couple of you individually has given me the help to know what I think I want. Hopefully, I’m not suffering from a false sense of confidence, but I know that if I ever face an unexpected problem, there are so many in this community that jump at the opportunity to help. And for those expected problems, I know the many solutions that y’all have used.

For my build, I want something that is iconic in design but with clearly modern underpinnings and safety built in. That ride 40 years ago in a “real” Cobra left me with a number of memories; one of which was that it was scarier than $&!*. I’m hoping that a modern chassis, suspension, brakes and drivetrain will bring with it a slightly safer and reliable ride. I still expect a true visceral thrill from driving it, but with the confidence of knowing that I have a better than 50% chance of making it home for dinner after an afternoon drive.

My build is based on the Complete Kit with a Coyote engine – T56 transmission with some Ford Performance upgrades. The build will include an Independent Rear Suspension, upgraded Koni double adjustable shocks, Wilwood brake upgrade, Wilwood electronic emergency brake, 18” wheels, leather interior… I feel that I simply checked every box, and more, on FFR’s order form. I also plan on using a number of modifications from Russ Thompson and Breeze Automotive including the dropped trunk, turn signal system, Radiator shroud and mounts, forward battery mount, storage cubby and too many more to list.

While I can’t imagine that there is much that can be modified on these cars that hasn’t yet been tried and described in the Forum, I still plan to make mine unique in some way. Stay tuned…

David

2. Likes toadster, CaptB, Ted G, MB750 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. I was afraid I might start something that I couldn’t finish. This forum gave me the confidence to take the leap as well. Most of your questions are answered before you have to ask, because there is always another builder a few steps ahead of you. When I did hit a snag, there were people that went out of their way to help. You are going to have a great time. Keep us in the loop.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

4. Likes toadster, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, David! The cool part is you have about 10 months to think, plan, research, and settle on some of the decisions. The bad part is you have to wait 10 months!

What a cool memory to have driven in an original. I'm not sure how many can say the same; I can't. In fact, I have yet to ride in any replica, F5 or otherwise.

Like Straversi said it can be intimidating, especially early on. I'm finding now at this point in my build, despite my minimal knowledge and novice mech. skill I'm able to work through the challenges. This forum has been huge for me. So many helpful, friendly people just a few keystrokes away. Best wishes on your upcoming build and retirement!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both for your words of encouragement. It boosts my confidence in the face of what I used to view as an overwhelming project. Now, 262 days and counting. Instead of obsessing over the build specs and when to order, I'm now obsessing over the delivery date and when I can begin to build. My wife wonders how I can read build threads so many times; she thinks they are all the same. But I continue to read. In fact I read some over and over again; to the point that I think I now understand when the UCAs on the front suspension are backwards or upside down. Essentially, I feel like a veteran builder and that I have vicariously built many, many cars (Ha Ha). I have bookmarked many posts in your builds to reference when I get to certain points.

Thank you again... now I have 10 minutes less before delivery
    Last edited by DIBaledo; 02-16-2022 at 06:30 AM.

7. Likes bil1024 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like you have been doing, I too have been rereading build threads waiting for my coupe to be delivered. When I come across a specific page in a thread that I want to reference I print out that page and put it into a three ring binder. I highlight the statement or picture and have used page separators to categorize the pages. Everything at my fingertips. It's like being back in school again. I am still thinking about printing out specific build threads and putting them into their own binders for reference. The cost of paper and ink is the only thing holding me back. Would rather spend that money on items for the car.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. sounds like you're doing your homework and have a good game plan. I was a total novice when I started and this forum as well as the other totally helped me along. Create a list of things you'll need from each vendor and order them all together to save some $$. I'm not sure how much extra I spent in shipping ordering multiple times from Summit and Jegs. Looking forward to following your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Welcome. sounds like you're doing your homework and have a good game plan. I was a total novice when I started and this forum as well as the other totally helped me along. Create a list of things you'll need from each vendor and order them all together to save some $$. I'm not sure how much extra I spent in shipping ordering multiple times from Summit and Jegs. Looking forward to following your progress.
    Great advice!! Just started an excel spreadsheet that I'll use for tracking what I need, where to find it, price, when ordered and when delivered. Will be easy to see at a glance what comes from which vendors and I can then order everything together. I have purposely not set a budget for fear it would prevent me from building what I want, but saving on shipping can add up and seeing everything together will give me a sense of whether or not my build cost gets out of hand. Thanks again.

David...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in your shoes 6mo ago and now with just 2 weeks left on the clock the excitement is real. Crazy how fast the last 6 months went by. I realize you plan on an extended build time so maybe not necessary immediate, i'd recommend considering an early timeline for your powertrain order as well. I ordered mine at the same time as my kit and it just finished up a few weeks ago.
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Ordered my powertrain - Coyote and T56 at the same time as the kit. They "promised" delivery at the same time. So even though I won't need it right away, I'll be able to know I have the engine in-house and dream of the sounds it will make. Vroom vroom!!

David...

13. Likes JeffP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Just looked at your thread... Your post reminded me that there are some additional tools I have to get. Now, in addition to obsessing about delivery, I have to obsess about new tools... Thanks!!! I was looking at getting the MaxJax lift to be able to work on the car while standing or sitting - I don't want to put a successful back surgery at risk by working too low. I've seen that others have used a lift as well. Hopefully, it will make a difference. Has anybody else had experience with a lift? Does it really make it easier? You can see that I'm looking for support to buy more tools...

David...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DIBaledo View Post
    Jeff,

Just looked at your thread... Your post reminded me that there are some additional tools I have to get. Now, in addition to obsessing about delivery, I have to obsess about new tools... Thanks!!! I was looking at getting the MaxJax lift to be able to work on the car while standing or sitting - I don't want to put a successful back surgery at risk by working too low. I've seen that others have used a lift as well. Hopefully, it will make a difference. Has anybody else had experience with a lift? Does it really make it easier? You can see that I'm looking for support to buy more tools...

David...
    Funny you should mention that... I was just looking at them today after re-reading EdwardB's thread where he talks very highly of it and what a difference it makes. Unfortunately where I'm planning on doing my build it won't support one. Wish it would though!
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. You've taken on a wonderful adventure. Welcome, and I look forward to your updates.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. November can’t get here fast enough.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Still 6 months before my kit arrives, but some progress nonetheless. I had to do something, so I built the chassis dolly and body buck, though I still plan on doing the build on a MaxJax lift to save my back. I've also bought a number of additional tools to make my job easier. The right tools are an incredible confidence builder and as a relatively novice mechanic, I need all the confidence I can muster for this project!

I've also made, what I consider to be, relatively major changes to my build - only time will tell whether they are for the better or worse. First, I spoke to Gordon Levy and have now received billet front upper and lower control arms. They look incredible; have to decide whether to put them on the car or frame them as art on the wall. Probably no one will ever see them mounted on the car, but I will know they are there and they should work beautifully.

Secondly, after speaking with Mike Forte, I have changed my engine selection/drivetrain to the Ford Racing Aluminator A52XS. It's probably overkill in a 2200 pound car. But, the Cobra is all about excesses, right? I'll also be using the T56 Magnum transmission. There was some concern that it would need some modification, however, the Aluminator is the same block and same size as the "standard" Coyote so, in theory, they should fit the same and all that is required is a smaller driveshaft which is already offered by FFR for the Coyote/T56 drivetrain in the Roadster. Does anybody have any experience or thoughts about this selection?

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their ideas and commiserating on my long wait for the "kit" to arrive.

David...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun. the Aluminator... wow, that should leave a mark...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

20. Thanks DIBaledo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Max Jack will save your back. I have a sissor lift and it's been great.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DIBaledo View Post

For my build, I want something that is iconic in design but with clearly modern underpinnings and safety built in. That ride 40 years ago in a “real” Cobra left me with a number of memories; one of which was that it was scarier than $&!*. I’m hoping that a modern chassis, suspension, brakes and drivetrain will bring with it a slightly safer and reliable ride. I still expect a true visceral thrill from driving it, but with the confidence of knowing that I have a better than 50% chance of making it home for dinner after an afternoon drive.
    David - congratulations on your order. I can't say I've been lucky enough to ride in a real Cobra, but from what I've heard the roadster feels a lot more confident. My personal experience is, that when you get the car dialed in, they feel very solid (and reliable).

-Brandon
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes