Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster Build Plan and Expanded Introduction

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Build Plan and Expanded Introduction

I’m ready to pull the trigger, but have changed gears in the years that I’ve been planning this build. Originally, I had planned for a Coupe build, with so much enthusiasm that my gmail e-mail address references that build. That all changed when a friend bought a Porsche Boxster S, and took me for a spin. Roofs are overrated! My Coupe build became a Roadster build that day.

My goal is a Roadster build that will be used primarily for cruising, occasional auto crossing and track days – but only for fun, and hopefully some car shows – but again, mostly for the social experience rather than going for trophies (although I wouldn’t turn them down). Oh, and if either of my daughters get named homecoming queen or anything of the sort – definitely parade use (can the body support someone sitting on the deck between the seats?).

Here is what I have planned for the build:
    A complete kit Roadster with IRS, power steering, leather seats, Halibrand replicas, a passenger roll bar to meet my wife’s request, and a few other things. I’m in Michigan, so it will also require wipers, windshield washers(?!?), and over-riders (and probably the bumpers – does anyone know if just the over-riders meet Michigan’s bumper requirement?). I'm investigating adding hydroboost power brakes, since I'll already have the power steering pump - if I can figure out how to do it.

For the engine, I'm an engine guy, so it has to be absolutely beautiful. No engine beauty covers here, the engine itself will have to be a work of art. I have a Dart block based 363 build planned. Holbrook will be building my short block, and maybe bolting on the heads – since I’m getting them from them anyway. In addition to many other components, I’ve already ordered a Jim Inglese 48 IDA system. It might already be at my house, but I’m on a business trip right now – so I haven’t opened the box and heard the angels sing their hallelujahs yet. I really can't wait to see those velocity stacks! My garage already has many, many boxes containing powertrain parts. I’ll be dropping my engine block off at Holbrook after I get home from my trip.

The transmission will be a Tremec TKO – the Ford M-7000-R58C version of it. I’m looking at the Summit Windsor transmission combo that includes most of the trans related content. However, I’m leaning towards a hydraulic clutch – and haven’t researched if there’s anything non-compatible with that plan in the Summit kit.

Body: Red with White racing stripes. I do plan on gumballs on the hood and decklid, but not on the sides, with the number 5 in the gumball. Not because it’s a Factory Five, but due to all my homebuilt guitars, amps, and effects pedals having my 'Mach5' logo on them - sort of my brand for my builds, so I want to use it on the car as well. Hence my user name, although there is more to that story (but we’ll save that for another day). I plan on powder coating the aluminum panels, but have abandoned the plan to powder coat the chassis red. I am going to order the chassis powder coated from FF (any color you want, as long as it’s black). Red, white, and chrome, with a black interior.

I do not plan on doing the paint and bodywork myself. If anyone has recommendations for an experienced shop in or around SE MI, I’m all ears. But that is probably still a ways off time-wise?

I’ve put together a build spreadsheet, with costs and part numbers of everything I can think of that I need. However, I have yet to consider the plan completely final. Hydroboost and hydraulic clutch are the main open questions. I’m also torn between a glove box vs. a heater/defroster. I’m thinking of doing the center dash support, fabricating my own “glove box” in that space, and including the heater in the build.

I missed the Winter Sale, and am just waiting for whatever sale comes next from Factory Five. So, I’m moving forward with accumulating powertrain components, the engine build, and prepping the garage (tools, chassis dolly, etc.) in the meantime. My family is planning for a 2 to 3 year project, although I hope to get all but the paint done much sooner than that. Admittedly, I am finding it difficult to have the patience to wait for the next FF sale.

I’ve lurked for years, and now am ready to jump without a net. Well, not really without a net. My plan and this website are my net. This site is a great resource, and as I go through this process I know help is only a post away. You guys rock!

Any cautions or recommendations regarding my build plan would be welcome. I look forward to ordering my kit, and to sharing the process and interacting on the forum.

--Curt
    Last edited by mach'er; 04-29-2017 at 10:53 PM.